F30 servicing

Hi guys, I recently bought a 2013 316i Sport and have a few questions which I hope anyone can help out because I'm new to Beemer ownership.

1.) Ideally how often should I service my car? Having previously owned Japanese cars which I would svc every 10,000km and require low maintenance I've been told that the same shouldn't be done for my F30.

2.) Recommended Engine oil? Something not overly expensive would be good.
2a) How do I know what is my 316i engine oil capacity?

3.) Is it better to service in JB workshops?

4.) Where can I get spark plugs and ignition coils at prices that would not get me ripped off? I was told Eng Soon would be ideal.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I recently bought a 2013 316i Sport and have a few questions which I hope anyone can help out because I'm new to Beemer ownership.

1.) Ideally how often should I service my car? Having previously owned Japanese cars which I would svc every 10,000km and require low maintenance I've been told that the same shouldn't be done for my F30.

3.) Is it better to service in JB workshops?

4.) Where can I get spark plugs and ignition coils at prices that would not get me ripped off? I was told Eng Soon would be ideal.

Hi It,

10000km interval is alright..
Liqui Moly
can try Eng Soon..

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

Hello there.

No fixed answer for that, but I do drive a 2014 316i and I change at about 7-8000km time. 10K km in my opinion is too long and I feel car abit sluggish.

Typical well known brand like Mobil1, Motul, Liqui Moly etc, which are certified by BMW long life should be good.

2a) How do I know what is my 316i engine oil capacity? 4 Litres

3.) Is it better to service in JB workshops? No comment as I only do in SG

Eng Soon is fine, but you also have to decide whether to use OEM or Original, price is very different between the 2.

Thanks for the info guys!

A few weeks ago I experienced drivetrain error. Then a few days later acceleration got cut halfway while I was driving. Sent in for diagnostics check but there was no fault detected. Mechanic told me to just monitor for now but my family members who frequently borrow my car are terrified to use it after the incident.

Any ideas what could be the cause? Some people were suggesting could be spark plugs and coils. But another friend of mine said that it doesn't sound like a plugs and coils problem :/

A few weeks ago I experienced drivetrain error. Then a few days later acceleration got cut halfway while I was driving. Sent in for diagnostics check but there was no fault detected. Mechanic told me to just monitor for now but my family members who frequently borrow my car are terrified to use it after the incident.

Any ideas what could be the cause? Some people were suggesting could be spark plugs and coils. But another friend of mine said that it doesn't sound like a plugs and coils problem :/
Hello there.

No fixed answer for that, but I do drive a 2014 316i and I change at about 7-8000km time. 10K km in my opinion is too long and I feel car abit sluggish.

Typical well known brand like Mobil1, Motul, Liqui Moly etc, which are certified by BMW long life should be good.

2a) How do I know what is my 316i engine oil capacity? 4 Litres

3.) Is it better to service in JB workshops? No comment as I only do in SG

Eng Soon is fine, but you also have to decide whether to use OEM or Original, price is very different between the 2.

Could be a caused by the speed sensors also. But you can always start with replacing the plugs & coils first, then onwards to other causes.

I don’t know the mileage but usually every 40,000km will change transmission fluid atf and atf filter at 80,000km
Also will replace the mechantronics sealing sleeve to Ensure hydraulic pressure in the transmission is maintained.
I don’t believe the lifetime fluids bull that will last forever.
Here is an example of the sleeve for 6 speed zf gearbox use by Bmw. Yours maybe 8 speed. Go to a bmw shop and have this done.
If it does not fix your

Attachments

• 69F0BFE4-BB30-4BE1-8101-615BEBA21B7F.png
    69F0BFE4-BB30-4BE1-8101-615BEBA21B7F.png
    280.1 KB · Views: 386
  • 5C0C8FD0-5A90-450C-B055-D0D6338A8BF3.png
    5C0C8FD0-5A90-450C-B055-D0D6338A8BF3.png
    258.1 KB · Views: 386
... If it does not fix your drivetrain error at least it will ensure the maintenance care of your expensive transmission and gearbox life.

Hi, riding in this thread. Same model as thread owner, every 7,000 KM, it asks me to top up 1 liter of engine oil. Is this normal? I’ve changed gasket and valve cover before.

Hi, riding in this thread. Same model as thread owner, every 7,000 KM, it asks me to top up 1 liter of engine oil. Is this normal? I’ve changed gasket and valve cover before.

Definitely NOT normal. Shd have leak elsewhere. Else maybe oil too thin? Better ask mechanic to check again.

Anyone encounter this issue, as I've just serviced my 316 and few days later receive a message indicating top up 1 litre of engine oil..
Leakage??

Anyone encounter this issue, as I've just serviced my 316 and few days later receive a message indicating top up 1 litre of engine oil..
Leakage??

If happened only a few days after servicing, the leak shd be quite easy to detect.

Other reasons could probably be the workshop didn’t fill up to maximum (to save costs ????) or the oil level reader is faulty?

Just check oil status and was shown minimum level.
Maybe the mechanic didn't close the screw properly for the oil to leak out below?

Just check oil status and was shown minimum level.
Maybe the mechanic didn't close the screw properly for the oil to leak out below?

check for leaks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1jun88net
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back