Fixed Oil leak but still need top up in 2000 km

Re: Fixed Oil leak but still need top up in 2000 km

zorro;640323 said:
Dude...pls dont confuse a driver who has never top up oil before. You should post a picture where is the oil cap first.

Is the oil cap something that is squarish in shape under the bonnet ?.............:laughlik:

zorro;640323 said:
Dude...pls dont confuse a driver who has never top up oil before. You should post a picture where is the oil cap first.
Dude, i need to find other BMW to take photo le. My oil cap is round 1. I scare he can't find his square 1.

whitelance78;636721 said:
I sent my 2006 320i to a workplace to fix up the engine oil leak. Changed quite a lot of stuff, now I don't detect any visible oil leak when I open up my hood.

However, the stupid light for engine oil top up still comes up after about 2000km. Anyone encounter similar issue?

Hi Whitelance,

Have you solved the oil leak problem? My ride is still leaking but very slow rate. Had changed the following items sometime mid May this year.

Valve cover gasket
Vacuum pump o-ring
Vanos o-ring
Oil filter housing gasket
Oil sump gasket

Top up engine oil warning came up 2 days ago. Quickly drove to a nearby petrol kiosk and top up about 1.5 litre of oil. Will be sending my ride to one of the workshop listed in this forum to do a thorough check.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dinosaur hunter;648533 said:
Hi Whitelance,

Have you solved the oil leak problem? My ride is still leaking but very slow rate. Had changed the following items sometime mid May this year.

Valve cover gasket
Vacuum pump o-ring
Vanos o-ring
Oil filter housing gasket
Oil sump gasket

Top up engine oil warning came up 2 days ago. Quickly drove to a nearby petrol kiosk and top up about 1.5 litre of oil. Will be sending my ride to one of the workshop listed in this forum to do a thorough check.

Bro, i had all these changed too some time in Feb/March this year. So far no warning for me to top up yet.

I sent my 2006 320i to a workplace to fix up the engine oil leak. Changed quite a lot of stuff, now I don't detect any visible oil leak when I open up my hood.

However, the stupid light for engine oil top up still comes up after about 2000km. Anyone encounter similar issue?

Whn EO reached middle mark & spotted pool of EO under hood, I replaced the o-rings & top up with 1L of EO. Has been travelled 5000km since then, OBC still show EO @ max level.

ok guys, this is what i changed but still need top up at about 2000km interval with no oil leak detected:
Valve cover gasket
Frange
Oil filter housing Gasket
Oil sump gasket
Oil separator
Rocker cover hose
vent hose
bypass hose
dip stick house
dip stick O-ring
Vacuum pump O ring
Solenoid Valve O ring
Engine mounting

Since no oil leak detected, I suspect engine oil burning. I thought i replaced quite alot of stuff....any idea what else i need to replace to solve this problem? Else I will just top up every 2000km..sigh

Last edited by a moderator:

Every 2,000 to 3,000 is just about normal by my standards. Any info from other bros?

I top up about every 5 to 6 months. E60 525. I top up 1 lt. And another two months, i will hit 8 to 9K Km and go for servicing/ engine oil change. Pretty neat schedule lor. Two rounds servicing outside, one round @24,000km at PML.

When I bought my car, mileage was about 110k - sent to BM workshop in Bt Merah for a full service and overall check. They fixed all the leaks. Now, my mileage is about 130k and there is no need to stop up between servicing every 10k km.

Sorry to bump an old thread. I was also informed that the valve seals tend to loose is effect and leak oil from it, causing oil burning issue. Valve seats are not very expensive, but the labour cost might be relatively high

E90-320i;716080 said:
Sorry to bump an old thread. I was also informed that the valve seals tend to loose is effect and leak oil from it, causing oil burning issue. Valve seats are not very expensive, but the labour cost might be relatively high

Any estimate on the labour cost?

Other than checking for leaks, check whether your engine oil level sensor is faulty. Get your workshop to drain out your engine oil and measure if it is really short.

I had the same problem, found out the oil level sensor was faulty. Changed it and the oil level low warning disappeared.

whitelance78;636736 said:
I went to ask around workshop and even PML adviser. They say 'norma' top up is usually 5000km without any oil leak. Any E90 320i driver can advice your top up frequency if you don't detect any oil leak on the engine floor?

My e90 Aug2006, after al the leak done up, can travel 15kkm w/o top up. OPC show only one mark drop from max

I changed my oil level sensor too, E60 pfl. now I don't get the alarms anymore. It started intermittently but got really bad at one time with 2 alarms per day even after top up. Now's it's quiet for almost 2-3 months now. =) The sensor is not expensive to change..... not as bad....

chinweyngee;717548 said:
My e90 Aug2006, after al the leak done up, can travel 15kkm w/o top up. OPC show only one mark drop from max

Yup, mine too, but I usually change my oil every 6000km. No topups after all the leaks done up.

vegadonovan;717612 said:
I changed my oil level sensor too, E60 pfl. now I don't get the alarms anymore. It started intermittently but got really bad at one time with 2 alarms per day even after top up. Now's it's quiet for almost 2-3 months now. =) The sensor is not expensive to change..... not as bad....

Yeah, less than 200 bucks and zero warnings and level is constant. so far so good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OneTab
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back