Flood on rainy days. Help needed.

Moneyman

Because the metal panel of the doors could not accommodate my DLS speakers, so have them cut. The installer assured that after building a rain shield around the hole, there would not be any problem of water seeping in. However on days when it rained for long hours, my floor carpet and the mat would be wet, but miraculously, only on the passenger side.
Has anyone been through this and any ideals on how this "flooding" can be stopped?

Re: Flood on rainy days. Help needed.

I guess the water is accumulated at the corner of your front door. When the rain is too big or long and you parked tail down wards and there is no drainage hole at that corner that why it flooded. Try to park head downwards and see whether it still flood ? Cheers

Moneyman said:
Because the door metal panels could not accommodate my DLS speakers, so have them cut. The installer assured that after building " Rain Shields" around the hole, there would not be any problem of water seeping in. However on days when it rained for long hours, my floor carpet and the mat would be wet, but miraculously, only on the passenger side.
Has anyone been through this and any ideals on how this "flooding" can be stopped?

Alot of installers, including the good ones do not recommend cutting becoz of subsequent feedback on water seepage when they did dat. Hope u can find a solution soon.

Moneyman said:
Because the door metal panels could not accommodate my DLS speakers, so have them cut. The installer assured that after building " Rain Shields" around the hole, there would not be any problem of water seeping in. However on days when it rained for long hours, my floor carpet and the mat would be wet, but miraculously, only on the passenger side.

Sorry to hear that Moneyman... THe word "Rain Shield" seems to hint of a certain pretty well known installer. But i m kinda surprised he mentioned that its sepage proof cos assuming its the same installer i think it is, he certainly told me he cannot assure me.

I believe there must be a way to insist the installer do something about it. I have seen pictures and review of e46s in other countries, they didnt have rain sepage problems. what they did was instead of just a rainshield, they built a "tunnel-like mould" which was welded with the rest of the metal panel. Go back to the installer and insist work be done.

Will be going back to the installer. Hope can workout something. Thanks to all.

Moneyman said:
Will be going back to the installer. Hope can workout something. Thanks to all.

Hope you can share the genius solutions your installer works out for you, thx. ;) I will post mine too when I am free to get this settled.

ace_singapore said:
Damn, now this explains the patch of water found on both front mats recently. :(

wow..u also face the same problem ? oh dear...
Moderator u may wanna post a sticky suggesting that owners think twice before getting the metal panel cut.

Moneyman, pls share the solution so everyone here can learn...

oneHeadlight said:
wow..u also face the same problem ? oh dear...
Moderator u may wanna post a sticky suggesting that owners think twice before getting the metal panel cut.

Moneyman, pls share the solution so everyone here can learn...

But if this is the case, wouldn't my speakers be under water now and should sound like tsunami?

ace_singapore said:
But if this is the case, wouldn't my speakers be under water now and should sound like tsunami?

actually thats wat i thought... it shud damage lei... strange.. ask your installer or did u see how the rainshield was done..

oneHeadlight said:
actually thats wat i thought... it shud damage lei... strange.. ask your installer or did u see how the rainshield was done..

Mine has no rainshield installed, yet. Should damage right? I think I'd better rush down to the installer tmr b4 any major damage is done, would update. Thx bro.

I think got his problem solved !!!!!!!!!!!!

NO MIND TALK ABOUT MINDS

If the metal panel of your door had been cut, I am sure your installer would build some kind of shield to shelter the raw hole from dripping rain water. The best way to know whether yours have a seepage problem is to unclip the doorboard panel then pour water on the outside of your glass window to see if water will drip from the cut hole into the inner layer of the door during heavy downpour. The shield on my door is a piece of cut aluminium plate circling the outside of the cut hole. If you would imagine, it is much like the sun shade flap on a jockey cap. Have them tested and adjusted today. Hosed the window with water. It appeared to be well and in place, no dripping. Anyway, have to observe for a while.

ace_singapore said:

There are two sections or shall I say two layers on the door. The outer layer houses the glass window and it is where the glass retracts into. The inner layer is where your airbag mechanism is and its where you clip the doorboard onto. The outer layer where the glass slides into, there is a very small hole beneath the door frame to drain rain water. The inner layer is segregated and seal off by a piece of foam material from the outer layer, so there is no chance rain water can get into the inner section.
Now here comes the messy part, if you cut a hole to make room for your bigger speakers, the inner layer is exposed to the outer part of the door skin. So there is a chance rain water might drip into the inner layer and seeping into the car via the doorboard.

Moneyman said:
If the metal panel of your door had been cut, I am sure your installer would build some kind of shield to shelter the raw hole from dripping rain water. The best way to know whether yours have a seepage problem is to unclip the doorboard panel then pour water on the outside of your glass window to see if water will drip from the cut hole into the inner layer of the door during heavy downpour. The shield on my door is a piece of cut aluminium plate circling the outside of the cut hole. If you would imagine, it is much like the sun shade flap on a jockey cap. Have them tested and adjusted today. Hosed the window with water. It appeared to be well and in place, no dripping. Anyway, have to observe for a while.

i've seen pictures of the rainshield...i was so reluctant to do it even tho the ICE enthusiasts kept encouraging me to. Jus curious...the installer u went to is the one very near a very famous and longstanding nitespot ?
i still think they shud weld it somehow...

oneHeadlight said:
i've seen pictures of the rainshield...i was so reluctant to do it even tho the ICE enthusiasts kept encouraging me to. Jus curious...the installer u went to is the one very near a very famous and longstanding nitespot ?
i still think they shud weld it somehow...

Perhaps the first message I posted in this thread wasnt too clear. My fault. The fact is, I went to two installers. The one you mentioned, he is the one i went to after the initial shields from my original ICE installer failed. My ICE installer was the one who assured me that there would not be any seepage problem after installing a shield. After re-doing it for three times on three different occasions, I gave up.
Went to the one you mentioned and rebuilded the shields, so far so good, still monitoring.

Moneyman said:
Perhaps the first message I posted in this thread wasnt too clear. My fault. The fact is, I went to two installers. The one you mentioned, he is the one i went to after the initial shields from my original ICE installer failed. My ICE installer was the one who assured me that there would not be any seepage problem after installing a shield. After re-doing it for three times on three different occasions, I gave up.
Went to the one you mentioned and rebuilded the shields, so far so good, still monitoring.

thats good to hear ! care to mention the installers ? not sure if the moderators mind, cos its supposed to be about sharing unreservedly...

how much does the shield cost the second time round ? Can update me...cos if its totally ok, i will get it done cos its hard to look for a good speaker with low mounting depth.

oneHeadlight said:
thats good to hear ! care to mention the installers ? not sure if the moderators mind, cos its supposed to be about sharing unreservedly...

how much does the shield cost the second time round ? Can update me...cos if its totally ok, i will get it done cos its hard to look for a good speaker with low mounting depth.

If I can still remember, its $80. Will PM you the name of the shield installer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789clubmobi

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back