Gearbox solenoid E60

Re: Gearbox solenoid E60

oh btw 1st workshop said must change gearbox solenoid if jerk persisted after software update... decided to go for 2nd opinion at Extreme Motorsports which solved the issue at no cost!

daniellim;875709 said:
Curious, are there any e60 owners out there who has a high mileage car (say 160k kms onwards) who has never had a problem with their gearboxes? Or is it a case where no matter how much effort you take in maintaining, its a matter of time and mileage before it goes?

My E60 clocked 174k km now, have been "jerkless" till abt 170k km where occasional jerking can be felt during hard braking however upshift still fine.
I changed ATF around every 50k km, wondering if my gearbox can reach 200k km or not....

Jason8822;879155 said:
My E60 clocked 174k km now, have been "jerkless" till abt 170k km where occasional jerking can be felt during hard braking however upshift still fine.
I changed ATF around every 50k km, wondering if my gearbox can reach 200k km or not....
Jason, it heng suay 1 lah. Juz go to BMW Club Malaysia to check out all those hi mileage E60. Some fail b4 100k km.

agree, many bmw gearbox up lorry around 100k km
not only E60 and not limited to bmw, almost all modern cars gearbox sama sama la

Jason8822;879324 said:
agree, many bmw gearbox up lorry around 100k km
not only E60 and not limited to bmw, almost all modern cars gearbox sama sama la

Siao liao ... My gearbox reaching 100k with less than 1k to go !! Now always jerk like hell during traffic jam or occasionaly driving at low gear jerk but wierd thing high gear or decending stop before traffic light is ok ... Understand that gearbox have one software that used to overcome this scenario called urban driving module .. Correct me if I am wrong : ) not sure can help bo ?

I started to have jerky up shifts between 3rd and 4th gear when my mileage was about 130K. At some throttle level, the gear hunts to and for between 3rd and 4th repeatedly. PML suggested to change the entire gearbox for more than 20K. I left it with BVO to troubleshoot instead. After a few weeks of failure analysis, they traced the fault to the gear actuator control box and worn 3rd gear. They reconditioned my gearbox and replaced the control box. For all the work done, it costed less than 7K.

Now at > 180K km, the gear shifts are smooth as silk and perfect. I thought it was money well spent.

daniellim;875709 said:
Curious, are there any e60 owners out there who has a high mileage car (say 160k kms onwards) who has never had a problem with their gearboxes? Or is it a case where no matter how much effort you take in maintaining, its a matter of time and mileage before it goes?

For reference, the 'solenoid' issue is common to many E60s and 7 series of the same vintage. There is no need to change the entire gearbox, but just the mechatronics unit that is a part of the gearbox. This consists of a series of solenoids housed in a steel casing as described in the URL link below. Cost for this unit should be in ballpark of 3k, and add some extras for labour, and 16 - 18k litres of ATF.

View attachment 40415

BMW TIS - 6-speed automatic transmission mechatronics module: E53, E60, E61, E63, E64, E65, E66, E83, E85, E87, E90, E91, E92 Installation location Item Description

Hope this helps and no one should go paying 10 - 20k for PML to rectify, or being faced with this issue - be forced to sell off or export the car.

Hi Bros,

Sorry to hijack this thread. Im thinking of getting an E60 with a mileage about about 110K mileage. Is there any advise from bros here how i should test the car for gear box issue before putting my down?

I saw in some articles that you should gradually drive the car from 1st to 2nd gear then to a complete stop for any jerk feelings. Is that all that I can test?

Is it common to send the car from the 2nd hand dealer to some well known workshop like BVO for verifying the condition of the car?

Many many thanks in advance....

Cheers

Hi Nicekopi, there is a lot that needs to be checked by a pro workshop and you cannot depend on a test drive to seal the deal. I just picked up a 112,000km used e60 thats coming to 7 seven years. Everything at test drive seemed perfect even gearbox. Adrenaline and my Timberland boots masked what problems my gearbox was actually experiencing.

I bought the car based on the used dealer's sgcarmart ad + 1 test drive (without a visit/check by a pro workshop). I sent my car to PML for verification only after the purchase. I had a list of 30 failure/cracked/leaking items. I know, I should have sent the car for inspection prior to the purchase.

- Besides drivetrain, suspension (especially front shocks and mount) good to inspect;
- Valve Lifters (found in engine) can cost up to $4000 alone to replace;
- Check drive shaft seal;
- Power steering rack can cost a bomb. About $5000 to replace. Pump alone is $1000;
- Gearbox? A lot can go wrong. Check with cold start and warmed engine. Problems may not be consistent. In my case, the previous owner has never changed the ATF fluid and I have just found out. Its too late now for a real recovery as newer fluid has to gradually poured in as not to "shock" the rubber seals and cause another problem;
- Aircon is crucial to check. Alot can go wrong and small fixes can be carried out by owners/dealers to get the car shifted.

Many many car dealers dislike pro workshops. A visit to any of the renowned workshops means a no-deal later. You can test drive to your hearts content or take a seasoned e60 owner (I here Divespyder is ace!) along for the test drive. But try to have the car inspected by the workshop as undercarriage will reveal the real condition of the car. One advise is YES, get the car inspected before you sign on the dotted line. Also during your test drive, the e60 must be whacked hard and also tested at granny speeds because it tends to hide flaws well and still deliver the sublime performance although the blooming Valve Lifters could be protesting!

Walk away from the car if you dont have a good feeling or feel queasy. Cheers.

Always send the car to a reputable BMW workshop for full check & test drive. Small change for peace of mind and possible high cost & headache later on if issues surface after deal made.

Thanks nikon and divespyder for your advises.

Like you mention, i dont think any 2nd hand car dealer will allow you to inspect their from a pro workshop. Nikon bro, so those were the problems you have for your e60? looks like to get the car done up will cost a bomb....

Cheers

Hi Nicekopi, I have quite a list of things that need fixing. The list I posted is not exhaustive by any means. The dealer is going to help me arrange to have some of the items fixed at least.

Please PM me if you require anymore assistance or queries answered. Cheers!

hey syder,
can share which workshop did you go to?? I'm in desperate need of this reflash that you are talking about!

update: just found the answer on your previous page but google shows nothing of extreme motorsports leh. autosports have. haha!

Last edited by a moderator:

I also went the first and second workshop that divespyder mentioned. I actually brought my own ATF last time n I have a strong feeling that they didn't actually change my ATF but kept it instead (felt no differnece before n after the change) because recently I just decided to change my ATF at workshop two n suddenly I felt a great difference in my car. Supposed to be same brand of ATF, I can't find another reason to why the big difference.... If need personal contact number of the workshop can let me know. They helped me a great deal along the way...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ee88poker

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back