German Castrol and SAF-XO

Red_Bean_Bun

Made the switch to German Castrol from Mobil 1.

Was having issues with all all the tapping sound and was look for a replacement for this servicing at the same time.

Read up the UOA results from a number of sources and it seems GC is more shear stable - stays at 12.x cst@100 (operating temperature) and it's thin 72 cst @40 meaning it lubricates well at cold start (and that's when engine damage usually happens). It stayed close to the BMW spec (12.5 cst@100) for 8000km. Mobil 0w40 sheared and dropped to 11.x cst@100 even though it has a higher TBN and HTHS.

The only point of contention is that GC is said to have a very low HTHS (2.9) versus 3.8 for Mobil. But most people recognize that since GC is ACEA A3 - this means it has to be at least 3.5 (comparable to Mobil). And it's the only ACEA A3 verified in that grade. The other key fact to support this is that it is BMW LL-01 certified. Another plus point is that the base stock is group IV PAO while Mobil is group III hydrocracked.

The other thing is that it is not up to the latest API SN rating. But I always think that the more advanced the rating - the less additives it will have and the less emissions it will generate. So with an API SL rating it's loaded with additives. And the additive always goes first before the oil thins so perhaps this is one of the reasons it's more shear stable.

Quite happy with the change to GC. Engine has a quieter cold start and the tapping sound is gone. Being that it's fresh oil which is thicker - the ride is not sluggish. In fact feels better than before. Will revert later on the performance over time.

View attachment 55156

Along the way ordered the rare SAF-XO for my rear differentials. Swapped out the Liqui Moly 75w90 - felt it was thin 14.4cst@100 versus OEM (15.5cst@100) at operating temperature even though both are GL5 certified. In fact if you use the Liqui Moly site to help you select the right oils for your ride - LM recommends their 75w140 oil and not the 75w90 which I think is too thick. SAF-XO is 75w90.
Differentials create a lot of heat and I think going back to OEM would do it some good. Used Liqui moly previously because the SAF-XO was pretty hard to find.

View attachment 55154

I do not work for Castrol.......just like to look at oil stats.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: German Castrol and SAF-XO

Where to purchase ?and what is the cost?can advice bro

Currently using pennzoil utra from mx trading as well.

Maybe will have a look at that too .... Always thought its a Shell related brand.

Zincman;1036090 said:
Currently using pennzoil utra from mx trading as well.

Read the review and intro at the mx trading website,seems quite good,now use about 4000km,still monitoring,so far so good

Red_Bean_Bun;1036092 said:
Maybe will have a look at that too .... Always thought its a Shell related brand.

It is Shell related.
Shell bought Pennzoil in 2002.

I tried the Pennzoil Ultra (EU) and my thoughts is that it isn't good.
On GC for 7k km, n i felt that it's 1 of the better EO.

How did it go with Pennzoil ?

Williammm;1036095 said:
It is Shell related.
Shell bought Pennzoil in 2002.

I tried the Pennzoil Ultra (EU) and my thoughts is that it isn't good.
On GC for 7k km, n i felt that it's 1 of the better EO.

Red_Bean_Bun;1036124 said:
How did it go with Pennzoil ?

Things that i realised with Pennzoil,

1. Engine noisy
2. Take a longer bit to warm up
3. After 3k km, it's sluggish
4. Engine runs slightly hotter.

It's thinner right from the start 10cst@100 and its LL04. Low TBN. Which also means less additives because its low saps etc. IMHO - LL-04 oils breaks down faster in SG. Very short OCI - 4-5k km.

Here's the thing - why I like LL-01 - Question is, Which harms earth more, the gas emissions or the dirty EO ?

With LL-01. OCI is increased but will stress the cat converters and will have higher gas emissions. Not applicable to bros with no cats.

With LL-04 - OCI would decrease quite a bit and need more oil changes and more visits to the WS. After changing EO, I brought the 8k km oil filter back in a bag - it is really disgusting.

Also, LL-01 works better in SG because of the petrol quality here as well - high sulphur content. Heard that would change but in the meantime it's LL-01 at least for myself .......

Williammm;1036125 said:
Things that i realised with Pennzoil,

1. Engine noisy
2. Take a longer bit to warm up
3. After 3k km, it's sluggish
4. Engine runs slightly hotter.

Red_Bean_Bun;1036127 said:
It's thinner right from the start 12cst@100 and its LL04. Low TBN. Which also means less additives because its low saps etc. IMHO - LL-04 oils breaks down faster in SG. Very short OCI - 4-5k km.

Here's the thing - why I like LL-01 - Question is, Which harms earth more, the gas emissions or the dirty EO ?

With LL-01. OCI is increased but will stress the cat converters and will have higher gas emissions. Not applicable to bros with no cats.

With LL-04 - OCI would decrease quite a bit and need more oil changes and more visits to the WS. After changing EO, I brought the 8k km oil filter back in a bag - it is really disgusting.

Also, LL-01 works better in SG because of the petrol quality here as well - high sulphur content. Heard that would change but in the meantime it's LL-01 at least for myself .......
Pennzoil Ultra (EU) is BMW LL-01.

Mobil 0w40 is noisy after about 5k km. The cold start is rough as well at that point ......I think it shears quite a bit.

And quite sluggish as well.

Williammm;1036132 said:
I think I will stick to GC until I can find something better.

U tried Mobil 1 and what is the outcome?

Am on the GC bought from mxtrading previously.

Very smooth even at near 9,000km now, much better than bmw engine oil I was using previously.

Will be swapping fresh GC for next EO change soon.

Hey bro, when you are comparing are you using 0w30, 5w30 or 5w40?

Really appreciate your findings!

I am on german castrol too. First week after change car feels very smooth, in fact it is a smoothness the car never had when I was on edge professional.

Few weeks later, the german castrol is about the same as edge professional 5w-30.

Yes, engine does sound quieter.

Not sure if you are asking me, but i am using GC 0w30 - which is the only type BMW approved for LL-01

lesliek;1036286 said:
Hey bro, when you are comparing are you using 0w30, 5w30 or 5w40?

Really appreciate your findings!

canuck78;1036354 said:
Not sure if you are asking me, but i am using GC 0w30 - which is the only type BMW approved for LL-01

the bmw oil sold at giant is also approved right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bong88promo

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back