Getting a used E60

Terras14

Hi guys,
I am getting a 5 year old e60 so gonna prepare myself for it and hence some questions. Appreciat if any bro can help me out.

1) what grade of engine oil and how many litre of oil is recommended?
2) can the car use ron95 or minimum 98?
3) I dun find the brake really bite so any recommendation for brake pad change?

Lastly upon getting the car, apart of changing the engine oil, atf, spark plug probably and maybe aircon filter ( does it have one in the first place), what else is good to change?

Many thanks.....

Re: Getting a used E60

Hi.

I have also recently bought a 6yrs old E60 and these are my suggestions:

1) 0W40 is normally used but you can also use 5W30 as well.

2) I always pump RON 95 and dont have any problem so far

3) I still using the stock brake pads so unable to advise further. You may also want to consider upgrading to 6pot BBK.

4) There is 2 air-con filter and you may also want to go for a ATF oil change as well.

Of cos there is a long mod list that you can do as well......!

Cheers!

Terras14;623976 said:
Hi guys,
I am getting a 5 year old e60 so gonna prepare myself for it and hence some questions. Appreciat if any bro can help me out.

Lastly upon getting the car, apart of changing the engine oil, atf, spark plug probably and maybe aircon filter ( does it have one in the first place), what else is good to change?

Many thanks.....

Terras14;623976 said:
Hi guys,

Many thanks.....

Hi Terras,

Welcome to the beemer family... one new addition to the E60ers!

I would recommend that you go down to BOSS (look for Nick or Calvin) for EO change (6.5-7L), they are site sponsor and good people to talk to on BMW ;)

on brake... u can try BOSS recommendation.

for a 5yr old ride, i assume 2006 model and mileage ard 80K-100K, go service for EO, power plugs, ATF, BMC air filter.

Go for Power-box too coz its a cheap mod and make ur ride accelerate smoother.... no more sluggish start...

Upgrade to 19" rims (minimum)

lastly come for this Sunday meetup.... u can get more personal advice n recommendation from people who drive E60 :)

If u stay in the West, u can go to R2D too.... Rodney truly a passionate dude on Beemers!

Enjoy ur new ride!

Cheers!

Buy your consumables like aircon filter, wiper blades, bulbs, etc from Eng Soon. Good place to get original BMW parts without breaking the bank. Go to workshop portion of the forum for their address.

I bought my E39 around the same age as ur E60. Based on my experience, go to any pro-BMW wkshop & do an inspection 2 service. That would cost around $2k. It keep me trouble free from thereon. As inspection 2 service will include replacement of fuel filter, change the fuel pump together. My fuel pump failed 2 mths after inspection 2 & i have to tow it workshop.

If you want to know more, come to this sunday meetup.

I think he already has an overload of information before even getting his car keys. Before I got my Greater White, I never even try to find out all these information because you only scare yourself silly. Every single creak and you will wonder whether is it aircon spoil or oil leak etc etc. Just get the car if its in reasonably good condition, enjoy the drive and when problems start, then research on it or ask lor,. There is a wealth of info out there on E60 and its attendant problems, if you encounter any.

Wear and tear is a sure thing for every car and when it comes, you just go attend to it. Major problems, just ask or drive into your favourite BMW workshop and get it diagnosed.

No point coming in here and ask generic questions like "My brake pads are coming to 40k km, should I change?" or "My suspension abit soft, why ahh?" You will get 20 pages of personal info from everyone here and you will end up getting more confused.

Thanks bro for all the info n i appreciate that. I m ok n not confused. Its just that i m changing from a jap car thats why want to find out more abt e60 I just want to do the necessary to make the car function like stock first then drive a few mths before i mod. Not sure how the previous owner or current dealer take care of the car. the stock susp is really too comfort that i feel a bit giddy from the roll. Haha...maybe i m too used to my stiff susp.

Re: Getting a used E60 (engine vibrating / gear jerk solved!)

Sorry to hijack this thread, but i have a 5 yr old E60 and recently found the engine to be vibrating too much, compared to when i got it 3 months ago.

Checked with PML and they said it is normal. PML solved the gear jerk problem at only SGD 44 nonetheless :) I can provide more info if anyone here needs it.

Back to the engine vibrating, what should i do? The needle rests below 1000 rpm, should i increase the flow to have a quieter engine??

Thanks!

what did PML do to solve your gearbox jerk problem?

iplaygolf;624089 said:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but i have a 5 yr old E60 and recently found the engine to be vibrating too much, compared to when i got it 3 months ago.

Checked with PML and they said it is normal. PML solved the gear jerk problem at only SGD 44 nonetheless :) I can provide more info if anyone here needs it.

Back to the engine vibrating, what should i do? The needle rests below 1000 rpm, should i increase the flow to have a quieter engine??

Thanks!

iplaygolf;624089 said:

Thanks!

For engine vibration, (from my experience) I know 2 types:
- whole car vibrate but rpm steady steady: this one may be engine mount worn out
- car vibrate due to fluctuating rpm at idle: this one most probably ignition coil or spark plug problem

Which one are you referring to?

pengfu, i noticed the rpm fluctuating slightly when the vibration is at the strongest...the rpm needle points at 90% to the 1000rpm mark, sometimes it flucuates slightly at the traffic light.......now i just change gear to N or P to keep the car quiet.

anything, the rpm fluctuates the most for about 10 secs when i start the car in the morning...thereafter it is kind of stable but really annoying vibration...

marksim, PML at Alexandra updated a software...i remembered the service guy mentioning about 'adaptation'.

iplaygolf;624277 said:
pengfu, i noticed the rpm fluctuating slightly when the vibration is at the strongest...the rpm needle points at 90% to the 1000rpm mark, sometimes it flucuates slightly at the traffic light.......now i just change gear to N or P to keep the car quiet.

anything, the rpm fluctuates the most for about 10 secs when i start the car in the morning...thereafter it is kind of stable but really annoying vibration...

marksim, PML at Alexandra updated a software...i remembered the service guy mentioning about 'adaptation'.

Purely based on my experience hor...
1) Minor fluctuation should be acceptable. However, if it drops and the car appears to be on the verge of stalling, I am quite sure you will have to replace the ignition coils.
2) Cold start rpm fluctuation seems normal but if the vibration is really bad, it is better to send the car to a workshop to check.
3) Removing the adaptation eliminates the infamous "jerk forward before stopping" issue, at least that worked for me.

i went to a workshop at bukit merah lane to enquire about the engine vibration problem. After a short drivearound, was told the engine mounting needs to be changed at around SGD 300 to 400.

Agreed to the job but was told later in the day that engine also leaking oil, so might as well do everything at one shot. Was quoted about SGD 2000 to solve the engine leak, change engine mount and general servicing...

Any bros here have experience fixing an engine leak? how much does it cost usually?

iplaygolf;624656 said:
i went to a workshop at bukit merah lane to enquire about the engine vibration problem. After a short drivearound, was told the engine mounting needs to be changed at around SGD 300 to 400.

Agreed to the job but was told later in the day that engine also leaking oil, so might as well do everything at one shot. Was quoted about SGD 2000 to solve the engine leak, change engine mount and general servicing...

Any bros here have experience fixing an engine leak? how much does it cost usually?

I think you should go get a second opinion. Goto Boss motorsports. Never hear good things about Bukit Merah workshops ...........is your idle rate still fluctuating ?

I changed my leaking oil pump at $360 (incl labor) yesterday. Now my engine bay is bone dry! :woottt:

My general servicing (oil, oil and air filter change) including the above pump cost less than $600. For you to add engine mounts should come up to $1000 +/-. I think $2000 is too much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Go to BVO, BOSS or J4C to get second opinion coz they are into beemers....

pengful;624682 said:
I changed my leaking oil pump at $360 (incl labor) yesterday. Now my engine bay is bone dry! :woottt:

My general servicing (oil, oil and air filter change) including the above pump cost less than $600. For you to add engine mounts should come up to $1000 +/-. I think $2000 is too much.

Pengful, can you please share where you had the leaking oil pump changed? Thanks a lot!

Red_Bean_Bun;624658 said:
I think you should go get a second opinion. Goto Boss motorsports. Never hear good things about Bukit Merah workshops ...........is your idle rate still fluctuating ?

Idle rate fluctuates in the morning witihin few secs of start up. i am pretty convinced the vibration is due to the engine mount...will check out the workshops in Sin Ming...thanks!

engine mounting...............must change...sure go...

oil sump leak not sure but usually change gasket only..the problem is labour thats exp...

iplaygolf;624910 said:
Pengful, can you please share where you had the leaking oil pump changed? Thanks a lot!

M & Q Auto Work
Blk 9004 Tampines St 93 #01-96
Tel: 67881256/ 67885896
Boss: Mr Ang/ 97998163

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gemwinnavy