Government Intervention in COE's again

Re: Government Intervention in COE's again

i want to sell my car at a profit too!!!!

Terry;689001 said:
i want to sell my car at a profit too!!!!

u sell car at profit only to buy higher..

where's the profit then?

jaskin;689009 said:
u sell car at profit only to buy higher..

where's the profit then?

Terry's not very intelligent

MW;689010 said:
Terry's not very intelligent

He muscle man... i scared to suan him so outright.

The one who made the most profits is the Pappies......garmen......??

that one is for sure la ... the house always win :D

volvolover;689015 said:
The one who made the most profits is the Pappies......garmen......??

here my idea:

IMPROVE public transport first, make sure every mofo in society can AFFORD to use it.
AND SHOW REAL EVIDENCE of improvments BEFORE touching anything related to cars. Benchmark will be HKG/JPN levels of puntuality and conenctivity with multiple modes of transport. Trains/buses overlapping routes.

Abolish COE / standardised minimal ownership road tax across the board.
Cars will still have PARF which last 10years, after 10years, they lose their PARF paper values. To keep a car over 10yrs will mean incurring paper-value loss. Will be up to owner to decide.

ERP@$10 a pop and distance/location-based road tax. Highest tax during peak-periods.

TAXI's / Commercial vehicles get discounted rates if traveling within town area within a certain time.
Commercial vehicles doing deliveries during peak hours into town will be charged. If TAXIs and Commercial vehicles enter and leave the town area within a stipulated time-frame during off-peak hours, no CBD charge.

Wanto buy car can, but to drive during peak periods will be a bitch. Driving during off-peak periods will not be such a bitch.
Car lovers can keep their cars, take the improved public transport system and enjoy their cars during off peak periods or in ulu locations.

Taxis/commercial vehicles can still do their thing if they are just making drop-offs/deliveries.

+ replace transport minister & Abolish 3/4 tank rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

My take... invade Johore

I strongly believe that there should be a total ban on foreign cars coming into Singapore or charge them high high if they wanna drive on SG roads. Why must we Singaporeans always be penalised? I see so many Malaysian bikes and trucks everyday.

First and foremost - they need to show that there is a viable public transport system. Not one which takes 5x or 10x the time taken by driving yourself. Secondly, you should be able to get the transport from all locations. There are places where getting a bus or a train is a true bitch. And a bus is not really mass rapid transport. I think the MRT is the only one which can be counted as a true public transport system - the rest is just a feeder.

I kinda agree with Kenn. However, my issue is as follows. Parking spaces are limited - and expensive in some instances so the penalty for owning multiple cars already exists. HOwever, the minimal and punitive ERP charges make it effortless for everyone to travel anywhere during peak hours. I think keeping COEs high (current levels are ok in my humble opinion) makes sense to dissuade too many cars, but to make it 150K is pointless. What they really need to do is to increase the ERP - not $10, but $25. Each time you enter the congested areas. Charge more on travelling. Charge a road toll...

The measures right now - as someone pointed out - are fairly bookish. They are designed to be a blunt hammer to keep the number of "new" cars down. What they are forgetting that even the cars already in Singapore without a single addition can keep causing congestion for time to come. The penalty should be on the use, and not so much on the ownership.

To give relief, keep the ERP for taxis low, so that people can keep taking cabs in and out!

Simply put - if I want to own an exotic and park it in my garage to admire it, I shouldnt be penalised. It is only when I drive it into the heart of orchard that I am adding to the misery so I should have to pay! The way it is right now, it hurts the poor more than it hurts the rich!

I believe our Transport ministry people knows this and I seriously wonder why they don't wanna implement such measures. ERP at $1 to $3 for cars is a joke if its purpose is to ease congestion. Toto's heavy foot on his Lambo at every rev is already $5, even before his car moves off!

So, correct, ERP should be $25 or more, possibly up to $50 for really congested areas like Orchard Road. Government needs to be daring abit to soot CBD and congested areas users swee swee if they enter these gantry zones.

ERP
$1 to $3 or even $5 ... you can continue to milk the cow ... perpetually until they are numb
$25 - $50 a pop, a lot of low-medium built cows can be dried up and out of the game

COE
don't think gov will tweak the system to lower coe ... this is unbeliveable cash cows to milk twice a month ... total income $2B per year leh

Last edited by a moderator:

MW;689090 said:
I strongly believe that there should be a total ban on foreign cars coming into Singapore or charge them high high if they wanna drive on SG roads. Why must we Singaporeans always be penalised? I see so many Malaysian bikes and trucks everyday.

I agree. They should also ban foreign talents driving SIN cars. Can you imagine just what damage 20% additional cars out of 1 million FTs can do to our roads?

Wait ..if u dont allow Malaysian truck from comming in who is going truck in your favourite durians, goods and occasionally some illegal immigrants?

pengful;689366 said:
I agree. Just to check, is this a relevant or irrelevant comment?

Abit irrelevant because everyday I encounter JB bikes squeezing in between cars in traffic and at times knocking the side mirrors of cars. Sometimes a few of them (obviously friends) will ride in a zig zag manner having a ball of a time while doing so cos I see them laughing away with their pillions, creating slow traffic behind. And mind you, there are hundreds of them on our roads (maybe close to a thousand) everyday.

I feel these bikes should pay S$100 per entry per day into Singapore or they be made to take our World Class public transport system

Din realise so many people support ERP...

Car ownership as a luxury
04:46 AM Oct 03, 2011

I refer to the letter "Building roads only one part of urban transport solution" (Sept 27). It is heartening to note that the Land Transport Authority "adopts a holistic approach in building Singapore's urban transport system".

However, measures such as the Vehicle Quota System and Electronic Road Pricing do not address an underlying problem behind the increase in car ownership: The easy access to car purchase through low monthly instalments.

As long as this continues, no matter how our public transport is improved, our roads will be overcrowded as the population increases.

It is hoped that the LTA takes steps in this regard, as the VQS and ERP measures seem more effective in collecting revenue than in containing the car population. Let us treat car ownership as a luxury, and make payments for car purchases felt heavier than at present.

Letter from M Lukshumayeh

TODAYonline | Voices | Car ownership as a luxury

Public transport system needs more innovation
Letter from Chia Hern Keng 04:46 AM Oct 04, 2011

ALTHOUGH Singapore's traffic management continues to be praised by observers as one of the best in the world, this efficiency can be attributed largely to our costly Vehicle Quota System and Electronic Road Pricing.

This way of regulating our transport system over two decades has been reflected in the rising cost of living and doing business here.

Is it any surprise that our current inflation rate stands at over 5 per cent, one that does not seem to be slowing down anytime soon? This despite the fact that the Singapore dollar had been appreciating against the greenback.

This inflation is, to a significant extent, the result of a policymaking tendency to solve problems through the use of monetary disincentives rather than through innovative thinking. We should think of alternative ways to traffic management.

For instance, although our public bus system was revamped during the '70s into an integrated one with the aim of achieving greater efficiency, there has been little innovation since.

Bus companies have not adequately offered the public other types of vehicles such as mini-buses especially during peak hours to improve frequency (with the exception of premium bus services).

Since mini-buses are used more widely in many other countries, bus companies should explore this idea.

Furthermore, the Government and bus companies should collaborate more closely such that the most efficient bus routes will result from road design, given that bottlenecks during peak hours continue to persist along certain roads used by public buses.

I am sure such daily congestion has jacked up the operating cost of bus operators, which is then passed down to commuters.

Another innovation that can be explored is the full use of our waters for mass transport.

Since Singapore is an island and numerous housing estates, industrial and commercial areas are close to the sea, ferries should be seriously considered as an alternative means of transport to reduce the load on public roads.

Our country needs to continue to innovate and improve by constantly studying what other nations are doing, and doing better than us, in order to maintain our competitiveness as well as to better keep inflation in check and ensure the quality of life here.

TODAYonline | Voices | Public transport system needs more innovation

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BettyLockwood
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back