GPS Power source

Re: GPS Power source

standalone Nuvi 200/200W series gives about 5hrs battery life in theory...i had about 3-4hrs realistically

3-4 hours may not be enough for a trip up north! thanks for the tip wil. i have a few 5 hour drives coming up. :(

bo pian need to bring the ciggie charger along...unless u get some car hifi shop to tap e power for you...if u need help looking for a longer mini usb cable let me know...

pilotsnoopy;342606 said:
bo pian need to bring the ciggie charger along...unless u get some car hifi shop to tap e power for you...if u need help looking for a longer mini usb cable let me know...

i can't tap. it's a rental car. at least the provided cable is pretty long, i've tried it with the car back home. stupid to have a wire there but what to do. thanks for the tip. :)

i was thinking of tapping for the car at home...

Herman;334512 said:
I can turn it on and off for 20 times and the blardy thing still wont detect the satelite.
Its really getting on my nerves...
Is the shark fin the only way i can rectify this?

The antenna require clear line-of-sight to the satellite, sky. It's normal to lose the satellite if you drove under a shade i.e. trees, tunnels etc. External high gain gps antenna might resolve some of your problem.

LazyServer

Just to share:

Some modern cars are fitted with a special windscreen that cuts down the amount of UV (Ultra Violet) rays that will be transferred through the windscreen which help cut down on glare. These windscreens are called Athermic, or UV Coated and will dampen/reduce GPS signals coming through the windscreen, so if you have an Athermic windscreen, it means you will not receive the same quality of signal as you would do by taking the GPS outside of the car.

How do I know if I have an Athermic Windscreen?
You can either contact the manufacturer of your vehicle, or talk to the main authorised dealer who may be
able to tell you. If you cannot receive a firm yes or no, then another way to check is to power up the GPS and hold it outside of the vehicle, receive a satellite fix and use the GPS diagnostic screen to see how many satellites you can see. Once you have noted this down, move the GPS inside the car and see if the GPS signal drops by 2-4 sats. If it does immediately then you probably have an Athermic windscreen.

There is list of cars in the table below that we believe have had Athermic windscreens fitted throughout part of their history. Please note that manufacturers don't always use the same windscreens through the life of a car model, so even though a model may be listed below, it does not necessarily mean that the current model that you have may have an Athermic windscreen. If you are unsure, try the above test or talk to your car manufacturer/dealership.

BMW 3 Series
BMW 5 Series
BMW 7 Series
BMW X5

If your car does have this type of windscreen you will need to use an external GPS antenna that magnetically fixes to the roof of your car.

anyone have any idea where how to tap power for the Nuvi 2XX series? workshop...type of cable needed?

Also considering the Nuvi 6XX series now...e lock on and software is better...i saw on FP's set(bluetooth to phone is just cool)..and heyjudd's...their windshield mount also much better...

Just went to Pin Liang yesterday to enquire about Garmin GPS. The shop guy said some BMW owners were not too comfortable with tapping power source for vehicle, therefore they resorted to charging their GPS units at home or in the office.

I think I will not tap power supply from my E60 and instead just charge it at home.

rkrskr;362777 said:
Just went to Pin Liang yesterday to enquire about Garmin GPS. The shop guy said some BMW owners were not too comfortable with tapping power source for vehicle, therefore they resorted to charging their GPS units at home or in the office.

I think I will not tap power supply from my E60 and instead just charge it at home.

Why not comfortable? Just a standard 12V source. Nothing special.

The guy said he had to install some fuse or someth. Anw Im not too sure, but it appears the E60 doesnt have a power outlet in the front (but has 2 in the rear). The cabling might be too messy if the power were to be tapped from the outlets below the rear air con vents.

rkrskr;362781 said:
The guy said he had to install some fuse or someth. Anw Im not too sure, but it appears the E60 doesnt have a power outlet in the front (but has 2 in the rear). The cabling might be too messy if the power were to be tapped from the outlets below the rear air con vents.

My IS250 also just tap power from power lines under driver footwell. No issue. You got cigarette lighter in front so sure got power source. I am surprised Pin Liang discouraged from doing it. Could it be skill issue?

Yup he said the power source from the driver foot well could be tapped. Anyway, my E60 doesnt have a cigarette lighter in the front - there's just an ash tray. Even the rear has 2 power outlets only - but no cigarette lighters. I think PML configured SG Spec E60s with the non smokers package.

I don't think its a skill issue - its more of some customers being scared that their BMWs are like computers, and therefore Pin Liang encourages the customer to adopt what he/ she feels is the best for his/ her car.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wholesumparts

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back