GS-D3: German vs Thai

Hi, all. Has anyone had the opportunity to use both the German and Thai made F1 GS-D3s? How does the Thai one stand up to the German made one in terms of performance, durability and quality control? The standard Goodyear answer is that they're the same blah, blah. Is this true?

Apparently, Goodyear is no longer bringing in the German variety for some of the more popular sizes (like 225/45R17). So, wot's the verdict on the Thai ones? TIA.

Re: GS-D3: German vs Thai

dunno
i just find that thai tyres are not lasting.....cheap but if u calculate cost versus usage time, i rather spend slightly more on South Africa or German tyres
sorry cos i dun really have a good experience with thai tyres so far. just my opinion

That's true, the price difference ain't that great. I'd take the German in a blink, too. But if you're running 225/45/R17s, you may not have a choice anymore as Goodyear is bringing in only Thai ones for that size nowadays.

sszone;140463 said:
dunno
i just find that thai tyres are not lasting.....cheap but if u calculate cost versus usage time, i rather spend slightly more on South Africa or German tyres
sorry cos i dun really have a good experience with thai tyres so far. just my opinion

ok, perhaps some input from a person who has actually used the tires would be more helpful to you...

i have german ones on one car and thai made ones on another, no discernible difference in wear rate or performance.

i took these thai tires to sepang and shaved 2 seconds off my lap time versus my oem bridgestone re050a runflats. grip wise, number of times traction control came on etc etc, was the same.

wet performance is superb.

goodyear is an established company, they wouldn't risk their reputation putting their name and the model designation GSD3 on these tires if the thai made ones weren't up to par. if indeed there is a performance difference, wouldn't it make sense for them to rename these thai made ones rather than risk lousier tires sullying the good name of their award winning GSD3 model range?

don't be one of those who go round bashing a tire based solely on hearsay and reviews read on the internet. and don't be a stupid fool like CSL aka Alex who told me "thai ones are too cheap for me" *pui!!*

Thanks for the sensible input, Louis. That's exactly why I'd rather hear some honest feedback from folks who've actually used both. Appreciate it.

louis;140513 said:
ok, perhaps some input from a person who has actually used the tires would be more helpful to you...

i have german ones on one car and thai made ones on another, no discernible difference in wear rate or performance.

i took these thai tires to sepang and shaved 2 seconds off my lap time versus my oem bridgestone re050a runflats. grip wise, number of times traction control came on etc etc, was the same.

wet performance is superb.

goodyear is an established company, they wouldn't risk their reputation putting their name and the model designation GSD3 on these tires if the thai made ones weren't up to par. if indeed there is a performance difference, wouldn't it make sense for them to rename these thai made ones rather than risk lousier tires sullying the good name of their award winning GSD3 model range?

don't be one of those who go round bashing a tire based solely on hearsay and reviews read on the internet. and don't be a stupid fool like CSL aka Alex who told me "thai ones are too cheap for me" *pui!!*

Agree, agree. Which is why the Thai ones can be helluva bang for the buck.

sszone;140535 said:
cheap tyres doesn't mean no good,
for a day to day user like me, i rather find something cheap and good.....who don't? :)

agree with Louis, the reason i buy the Thai GSD3 tyres, thou i using better ones, is becos I feel, may not be true, GOODYEAR shld use the same production line machine to make the tyres, & thai have cheap labour & shipment cost to Singapore compare to europe. Hence can be cheaper but not necessary have to drop the quality standard. personal opinion.

Personally, I think a tire should be a tire no matter where it is made. I don't think Goodyear would use a different rubber compound or different manufacturing process in one country vs. a different country. But lately Goodyear SGP's website mentions that some tires (incl. the GS-D3) have been 'reformulated' for Asian conditions, without specifying what exactly has been changed. The issue now is just how different they are (if at all) from the much touted German made ones. That's issue No.1. But like Louis mentioned, they must be pretty confident to let the Thai ones carry the GS-D3 label on 'em.

Issue No. 2: The only question I would have would be the quality control of the human aspect. It's possible one factory may not have as high of quality control, but I'm just guessing. Just doing some tire research. Thanks for the input so far.

Any more bros who've been on both?

haha "reformulated" looks like something good :)
will fit up the GSD3 next week , will see how it feel like & feedback to you :)

Haha, let's hope 'reformulated' was not the product of cost cutting! :lol2: :lol2: Yeah, do post some feedback when you can. Thanks.

iScoupe;140565 said:
haha "reformulated" looks like something good :)
will fit up the GSD3 next week , will see how it feel like & feedback to you :)

I have 19 inch Goodyear eagle F1s german made for 1500 km now. Initially I find them a little bumpy having switched from 16"OEM RFTs. Now the tyres seem more run-in and drives better. But there is something I am not quite satisfied in a way, and that is their much acclaimed wet grip. Esp these few days when it rained heavily. Whjen I brake hard on wet roads, just before it comes to a full stop, there is tendency for a bit of 'steering swing'. Not so sure if its road condition or tyre properties. Not a big deal but previously on the Continental RFTs there was no such probby.

Like BMWs assembled in South Africa, I have confidence in Thai Goodyears too altho I ve yet to use them. I should have brougha set of 4 back since I was in BKK last week.....so cheap there ...kekekeke

ah beng: is it because now u are on 19inches, more sensitive to the road.

hitmee;140599 said:

Ya... 16 to 19.... lots of difference in feel leh.....

hitmee;140599 said:

dont know leh......not sure if because of broader tyres, lower aspect ratio or simply diff tyre brands. Feel like changing to bridgestone liao :lol2:

Tramlining lah - 19" contact patch is much wider than 16" so on certain parts of certain roads, esp if they are heavily used by heavy vehicles, you will find the tyres "transmitting" the ruts back to your steering.

Don't say 16 to 19, in my case, from 215/45 R17 to 225/45 R17 can also feel the difference in how the steering feels.

Tramlining? I see thats new to me worr.

But now I find the Eagle F1 GSD3 the thread pattern not nice leh....kekekeke. But guys, looking at tirerack survey results, dont u think bridgestone may be overrated? Anyone using Bridgestone? Heard all new BMW are now using it instead of CONTINENTAL worr

Get either one is fine, if they hv served you fine over the year, it's a Good Year

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BettyLockwood
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back