Heads Up Screen Retrofit Review

primus22

Many bros here would have been considering a Heads Up Screen (HUS) retrofit.

I fixed mine last week with some regrets. First, it is like having a permanent blind spot on my wind-screen. Can't see anything behind the screen. Second, the BMW GPS does not work on the HUS. Apparently, we need to have Garmin HUD and use our mobile phone maps/navigation to link wirelessly to it (then what's the point right?). In any event, Garmin HUD is only for USA and there are no Singapore maps as of now.

Third, although I could close the HUS and ignore it (its like a flap), the reflections of the sun on it and back on the screen is kind of irritating to me. I am the sort who does not like anything on my dashboard to avoid the reflection.

So, other than having my digital speedometer on the screen, it really doesn't do justice to the S$900++ which I spent on it.

Just caveat emptor to the bros out there considering this option.

Re: Heads Up Screen Retrofit Review

Factory fitted HUD also require a special kind of windscreen to focus the HUD projection.

Damage is definitely much much higher than HUS. You can search through some of the site sponsor thread.

I am also considering the price vs shiok factor based on the price a site sponsor has quoted.

Still thinking but heart itching.

Thanks for the review. This is certainly helpful for those who are considering the option - myself included!

Thanks bro for the replies, and they certainly encourage me to write more! =)

For the bros who really really want the HUS (despite how I feel about it), maybe I can let mine go for a discount.... pls make your offer. Item is in mint condition, and only 5 days old.

Bro, I am also thinking of the HUD. I damn like the car to have the shiok feeling, like a fighter jet! That's why went for the HUS as a compromise. But the risk I think is once they remove and change the entire dashboard - I wonder if the car will have any sound when driving around - like screw loose or something ... Also, the special kind of windscreen will add to the cost. Without the windscreen, the projected image might be irritating to look at - then no point already...

primus22;1116099 said:
Bro, I am also thinking of the HUD. I damn like the car to have the shiok feeling, like a fighter jet! That's why went for the HUS as a compromise. But the risk I think is once they remove and change the entire dashboard - I wonder if the car will have any sound when driving around - like screw loose or something ... Also, the special kind of windscreen will add to the cost. Without the windscreen, the projected image might be irritating to look at - then no point already...

I think one of the site sponsors quoted me S$7k for HUD retrofit - so I stopped thinking about it since. Yes, I too was concerned may have repercussions for such a major retrofit.
By the way, can you post some pics on the HUS? What brand is that?

primus22;1116061 said:
Many bros here would have been considering a Heads Up Screen (HUS) retrofit.

I fixed mine last week with some regrets. First, it is like having a permanent blind spot on my wind-screen. Can't see anything behind the screen. Second, the BMW GPS does not work on the HUS. Apparently, we need to have Garmin HUD and use our mobile phone maps/navigation to link wirelessly to it (then what's the point right?). In any event, Garmin HUD is only for USA and there are no Singapore maps as of now.

Third, although I could close the HUS and ignore it (its like a flap), the reflections of the sun on it and back on the screen is kind of irritating to me. I am the sort who does not like anything on my dashboard to avoid the reflection.

So, other than having my digital speedometer on the screen, it really doesn't do justice to the S$900++ which I spent on it.

Just caveat emptor to the bros out there considering this option.

Where did you get your HUS installed?

I installed a gps hud speedometer on my car previously, it's very basic but does the job. Connects via cig lighter. Only downside is sometimes it takes time to find the gps signal. But it's easy to install and uses a piece of film on the windscreen. Can consider if you are just looking to get the speed on screen

http://www.amazon.com/Head-Up-Display-Speedometer-quick-installation/dp/B005X4QCAA

Please don't shoot me. But when I first saw this thing selling here by that sponsor a few months ago, my first thoughts were: "$900 for this thing? Seriously??"
My opinions only. Paiseh...

Aiyoh bro, where else... Bukit Batok side lor.

HUS brand is BMW. I don't know how to insert pics but you can easily find pictures or videos from site sponsor.

primus22;1116142 said:
Aiyoh bro, where else... Bukit Batok side lor.

HUS brand is BMW. I don't know how to insert pics but you can easily find pictures or videos from site sponsor.

I believe it is done by us. Your review is true, the screen is not so transparent as the HUD, a bit dark. If you are not happy with it, come back for removing it. Will refund you. and my sorry for the trouble.

EleBest;1116166 said:
I believe it is done by us. Your review is true, the screen is not so transparent as the HUD, a bit dark. If you are not happy with it, come back for removing it. Will refund you. and my sorry for the trouble.

STEADY! Give u a like.

EleBest;1116166 said:

kudos to EleBest! this is what i really call Real Customer Service! Big Like to you!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

The rubber mat is for the screen and protect it from glares and also to be use alternatively when driving.

cybernomo;1116065 said:
Factory fitted HUD also require a special kind of windscreen to focus the HUD projection.

Damage is definitely much much higher than HUS. You can search through some of the site sponsor thread.

I am also considering the price vs shiok factor based on the price a site sponsor has quoted.

Still thinking but heart itching.

My 6er came with original HUD and I absolutely love it. Don't think I will buy another car without it. It can project turn by turn instructions on the windscreen. Really cool. $7k might seem steep, but if you consider the price difference between a 5 and 6 series, then $7k is really cheap. Go on, get one, you know you want one, just leave out one zero when you tell wifey the price......:twisted:

View attachment 67176

Haha I like the part abt leaving 1 zero out:)

Love my HUD too but it was $5.3k back in 2011.. Can keep your eyes on the road!

Welch;1116217 said:
My 6er came with original HUD and I absolutely love it. Don't think I will buy another car without it. It can project turn by turn instructions on the windscreen. Really cool. $7k might seem steep, but if you consider the price difference between a 5 and 6 series, then $7k is really cheap. Go on, get one, you know you want one, just leave out one zero when you tell wifey the price......:twisted:

View attachment 67176

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okebet168net
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back