help car and steering moves left when braking

emiffy

Car pulls left when you brake?

(1) brake pads - since they are new, then also check brake discs

(2) tire - not all tires are totally round

(3) rims - again, not all are totally balanced

(4) the road itself. Don't laugh. Try on other roads.

Immediate thing I'd go for is a wheel balancing (off-car). Then see if it still happens.

you may have gone for alignment, but what are the readings at the end of the session? did the fella bring your car back to specs? AFAIK, camber and castor are not adjustable on the bmw without using shim plates.

Hi Racebred,

Any idea on where I can this done?

Thanks

I go to Kian Teong Autos, 1st floor of Sin Ming Autocare for my alignment. not to say that shop has any special equipment over the multitude of laser alignment shops elsewhere, but at least this guy is friendly and charges reasonably. he's also a young car enthusiast like us, with very good knowledge of brakes and suspension. and as he's working on your car, he'll talk through with you what he's doing. so you know what are the limitations during the alignment. just say you are from the BMW club.

since the alignment equipment is pretty standard, i'd say level of service plus price will help you in differentiating workshops.

if you want to do a real proper alignment to bring everything back to specs, then you'll have to be prepared to leave the car longer there, maybe half a day, for him to add the correct spacers into your suspension, since there's only so much you can tweak by turning the bolts and screws around. Toe is no problem though.

i do encounter it some times, but i tend to attribute to the road condition because its not all the time. But i think i better go do some alignment stuff..at the recommended shop

225... then cannot be tramlining. does the car only veer left upon braking? how does it handle with you're cruising straight and you let go of the steering wheel?

Racebred said:
225... then cannot be tramlining.

RB, I'm curious why you say that; or are you referring to specific scenario of 70km/h in the original poster's case? Cos I experience it on my 225/40/18 SO3s at low speeds (<20km/h) leh.

hmm possibly. maybe i'm too accustomed to tramlining so i've already stopped noticing it? sorry

i think it seems fine...it doesnt always happen. I notice that it only happens when its a very uneven road... the car moves very straight when i let go of steering.. i will confirm on the size

thanks to for all the bros who responded

1)i experience the swerve only at low speeds as well <20 km/h
2)no prob for high speeds
3)did the wheel alignment at stamford
4)funny that i run on SO3 as well and face the same prob

Re: help car and steering moves left when braking

vincewongkf said:
have done alignment for my ride but the car still tends to move to the left when i apply the brakes

since the brakes are new could it be due to the blancing of the wheels ?

was told at stamford that one side of the brakes are stronger than the other ?

any bros can help ?

I tot ur car still under warranty ??

U can go back to PML and they can do a brake test on their machine to determine the brake force applied on every wheels.

The force from the right and left wheel got a thresold and cannot be more than a certain percentage.

I don think it's your brake problem but rather, the setup of your alignment cos our car has got a brake force distribution system and under hard braking, the car will monitoring the force applied to each wheel and measured against wheel rotation speed. If the car sense that the wheel speed for left and right is different, the pressure applied will be transferred to the other side of the wheel..... But of course, there is only a given frame of adjustment that the brake can compensate, and things like centrifugal force, defective component like defective shocks, worn bushing, can cause it to veer to oneside

On our car, the camber can only be slightly adjusted so you might wanna give a double check on it also.. The other thing will be ur toe angle, which is critical as well... If u dial in toe for better handling, then under braking, the car might run one side if the left and right is having different angle..

vincewongkf said:
have done alignment for my ride but the car still tends to move to the left when i apply the brakes

since the brakes are new could it be due to the blancing of the wheels ?

was told at stamford that one side of the brakes are stronger than the other ?

any bros can help ?

U can go back to PML and they can do a brake test on their machine to determine the brake force applied on every wheels.

The force from the right and left wheel got a thresold and cannot be more than a certain percentage.

I don think it's your brake problem but rather, the setup of your alignment cos our car has got a brake force distribution system and under hard braking, the car will monitoring the force applied to each wheel and measured against wheel rotation speed. If the car sense that the wheel speed for left and right is different, the pressure applied will be transferred to the other side of the wheel..... But of course, there is only a given frame of adjustment that the brake can compensate, and things like centrifugal force, defective component like defective shocks, worn bushing, can cause it to veer to oneside

On our car, the camber can only be slightly adjusted so you might wanna give a double check on it also.. The other thing will be ur toe angle, which is critical as well... If u dial in toe for better handling, then under braking, the car might run one side if the left and right is having different angle..

piggyboyz;2531 said:

Agree, for a piece of mind, better to go to PML to check it out.

Road surface definitely plays a part. The local road almost always slants to the left due to drainage system.

You should also experience some pull to the left even without braking. On higher speeds, the power from the drive train actually counters the pull to the left so you would'nt feel that it is there.

If your tire have uneven wear, it will affect too even after you had done the alignment adjustments cos the tire is always uneven. for such cases, only need to drive more to let the tire even out again.

Having said that, if the pull is relatively strong, it may still be good to have it checked out.

Share with us more on the findings and rectifications bro.

Hope you get it right soon.

Cheers

nisiel said:
Agree, for a piece of mind, better to go to PML to check it out.

Road surface definitely plays a part. The local road almost always slants to the left due to drainage system.

You should also experience some pull to the left even without braking. On higher speeds, the power from the drive train actually counters the pull to the left so you would'nt feel that it is there.

If your tire have uneven wear, it will affect too even after you had done the alignment adjustments cos the tire is always uneven. for such cases, only need to drive more to let the tire even out again.

Having said that, if the pull is relatively strong, it may still be good to have it checked out.

Share with us more on the findings and rectifications bro.

Hope you get it right soon.

Cheers
It's been 7+ years since the last reply, so I doubt the thread starter is still having the same ride............ LOL

Kudos to your efforts to help.

kenntona;680093 said:
It's been 7+ years since the last reply, so I doubt the thread starter is still having the same ride............ LOL

Kudos to your efforts to help.

hahaha...din noticed that..

maybe another bro had gotten this ride

maybe the car has veered into a crusher now...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
splaycenter
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back