Help: Car looks sunken at the rear

drift838

My end 2001, 50k km e46 318Ci (on original shocks and spings, and v seldom take rear passengers) looks sunken at the rear. Front is about 2.5 fingers and the rear can go as low as 1cm when parked. Have seen other e46 Ci (standard setup) with the rear ride height higher.

Is there such thing as the springs becoming soft with age, and wear and tear?
PML did a suspension test and said no probs, but I do not like the looks.

Questions:
1) can I just change the rear spings without changing the front spings + the 4 dampers? Or all must be changed together for more balance?
2) if I just want to raise the rear ride height, is it worth while going for Bilstein PSS?
3) is a little oil stain on the absorbers ok? (PML told me it's normal for shocks to 'sweat'.. a new term for me)

Sorry for so many questions as I am really blur on all these.

Thanks for any help :)

Re: Help: Car looks sunken at the rear

If its leaking oil from the absorbers then its due to change them already.

Cheers

Sorry, I cannot fathom why PML engineers always say `IT IS NORMAL' for the worst things. It paints a picture that BMW is a brand which sells crap.

First of all, the word is not `sweat' but `weep'. But I'm nitpicking here, so the more substantive thing is:

It's OK for a shock to leak oil? BS! Shocks leaking oil is one of the visual indicators that it's time for change. That being said, there are some really old shocks which leak, but these are classic cars where the leak is required to lubricate the shocks, but these shocks have provisioned for oil top-up.

taken from web, lazy to type: With your car parked safely, push down firmly on the boot, the vehicle should bounce back and settle in place after one bounce. Repeat this test several times at the boot and then test the front suspension by pushing several times on the bonnet. If the vehicle continues to rock several times; like this it is a good sign the shock absorbers have worn.

Anyway, 50K is high time you changed the shocks. You may want to upgrade the suspension at the same time with some stuff from the aftermarket.

I also have this problem.

I was at BVO and they said the same thing about replacing the shocks. I was also told that there's no need to change the springs. Does this mean that the springs are less likely to have deteriorated?

Also, I was recommended basic Bilstein replacement shocks. Believe that these are gas filled vs the oem oil filled. Do these gas filled ones last longer and provide better comfort? I am not v comfortable of matching the existing springs with the Bilsteins (do not like to mix brands), but is this concern of mine unfounded? Should I just go back to OEMs?

Sorry for the long post. Am grateful for any advice :)

oh god, PML and their advice again. Since when oil leak ok huh??? OMG.
caysman, you are cool, EXACTLY what i would of said
gas shockies are better of course, bit stiffer ride, but who cares, the handling is greatly increased. I have always thought stock shocks and springs are dangerous anyway, to soft. Put a good set of shocks and lowering springs in any car, handling much improved, never know, could even save your life one day.
Lastly drift 838, put less fuel, no more saggy bum, LOL. Unless you wanna look like a california low rider.

Are shocks and springs warranted for 3 years?? If that's the case, just complain as loud as you can. I got the same problem as well, coming to 50km and i drove my car pretty hard. I noticed it when i scrapped the bottom part of my rear bumper, just the right side and now the car looks lower on the right rear everytime i parked.
Will send it in for inspection soon and i agreed that PML is BS sometime!!

mysticblue>> i have noticed all bmws with the exception of those on height-adjustable coilovers that it is the norm that the right is slightly lower...spoke to some people and they claim it is the compensation for the driver that sits on the left in LHD versions...maybe ou could ask around

Ride height for front is always higher than the rear for BMWs. Front shocks are to absorb the shock from the roads and the rear is more to push the car. Mine is also the same.

Shocks normally starts to wear off after 80 to 100k km unless you go through road humps like its not there thus wearing off the shocks faster.

I don't think shocks are warrentied in PML at 50k. You can try your luck though. Its considered as a wear and tear item like the brake pads and beltings.

The ride height is always lower on the right than on the left throughout the BMW range. 3,5,7 series you name it. See, the battery, driver, steering box, even the engine is slanted to the right. Thus the fact is the fact.

mine is 325i sedan, yup, ride height is lower at the rear compared to the front.
that's why most of my friends change to lower spring to reduce the front ride height.

agree with russo, the ride is also slightly lower on the right (driver side), damaged my CSL right lip once, but left still OK !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miso88bar
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back