Help with my E90 320i issues (Jerking, Idling Drops...)

ckwhon

Hi guys,

Can anyone help with the following issues? I have just changed all ignition coils and spark plugs. I have also changed the tensioner bearing, alternator pulley and idle bearing. BUT below issues still persist.

1) Car jerks when I accelerate slowly (Probably 2000rpm to 3000rpm). U can consider the jerks to be quite vigorously if you continue to step further onto the accelerator. Usually I will release the accelerator and step again. But jerk will persists for a few times even I release and step again on the accelerator. Always happen during early morning drive. Symptom gone after engine is fairly driven for few KMs or should I say engine is warmed up.

2) If idling at 'D' mode, the car tends to have very mild jerking front and back. 'N' mode will not have any jerking.
(The feel is exactly like when you are on a flyover and some big trucks/lorries moving on the flyover. If you happen to encounter jam at the upslope going in to Woodlands checkpoint, u will get this kind of jerk feel with a normal working car when the lorries passed by.

3) Idling will drop suddenly. But will rise up to normal after it drops. So far only have 1 engine stall before.

Hope bros here able to help because I won't want to spend money troubleshooting at the workshop and end up the problems can't be solved.

Re: Help with my E90 320i issues (Jerking, Idling Drops...)

ckwhon;1085169 said:
Hi guys,

Can anyone help with the following issues? I have just changed all ignition coils and spark plugs. I have also changed the tensioner bearing, alternator pulley and idle bearing. BUT below issues still persist.

1) Car jerks when I accelerate slowly (Probably 2000rpm to 3000rpm). U can consider the jerks to be quite vigorously if you continue to step further onto the accelerator. Usually I will release the accelerator and step again. But jerk will persists for a few times even I release and step again on the accelerator. Always happen during early morning drive. Symptom gone after engine is fairly driven for few KMs or should I say engine is warmed up.

2) If idling at 'D' mode, the car tends to have very mild jerking front and back. 'N' mode will not have any jerking.
(The feel is exactly like when you are on a flyover and some big trucks/lorries moving on the flyover. If you happen to encounter jam at the upslope going in to Woodlands checkpoint, u will get this kind of jerk feel with a normal working car when the lorries passed by.

3) Idling will drop suddenly. But will rise up to normal after it drops. So far only have 1 engine stall before.

Hope bros here able to help because I won't want to spend money troubleshooting at the workshop and end up the problems can't be solved.

You can get the mechanic to check on your maf sensor or the O2 sensor. Seems to be the most possible cause of the irregular idling but as for the jerking, it could be caused likely by the solenoid in your gearbox. Common problem for 320s.

Red_Bean_Bun;1085171 said:
Did the WS provide you with any fault codes ?

Hi red bean bun, I have yet to diagnose my ride

acschnitzer13;1085209 said:
You can get the mechanic to check on your maf sensor or the O2 sensor. Seems to be the most possible cause of the irregular idling but as for the jerking, it could be caused likely by the solenoid in your gearbox. Common problem for 320s.

Hi Acschnitzer13, Solenoid was changed not long ago. Is solenoid able to detect through diagnostic check?

ckwhon;1085261 said:
Hi Acschnitzer13, Solenoid was changed not long ago. Is solenoid able to detect through diagnostic check?

if u have changed ur plugs & coil, check ur vanos solenoids.

mercur1al;1085264 said:
if u have changed ur plugs & coil, check ur vanos solenoids.

Vanos solenoid is different from the gearbox solenoid valve as mentioned in Aaron's thread?

gearbox solenoids is to control your 1st - 6th gear and reverse gear. Doubt you will experience rpm fluctuating due to gearbox.

Vanos solenoids are at the engine, one for exhaust and one for intake. Scan the car for fault code first, vanos will trigger codes in the memory but not trigger an engine check light.

Sometimes, just removing the vanos solenoids to clean them, and swapping them around cures the prob.

How's your coil, valvatronic motor, or ATF clutch plates?

Bring to a good WS to check as all of us can only speculate and yet your issue not resolved.

R2D is the one to look for when you have such gremlins running around in your car.

ckwhon;1085169 said:
Hi guys,

Last edited by a moderator:

Fault code: Valvetronics eccentric shaft sensor
What is the part that need to be changed?

Help with my E90 320i issues (Jerking, Idling Drops...)

ckwhon;1085862 said:
Fault code: Valvetronics eccentric shaft sensor
What is the part that need to be changed?

Exactly as the fault code says - Valvetronic eccentric shaft sensor... that's a part on it's own. Mine failed before too.

That's why it's critical to get the diagnosis done properly as Red Bean Bun said, else you end up changing a ton of things you don't need to.

seanskye;1085873 said:
Exactly as the fault code says - Valvetronic eccentric shaft sensor... that's a part on it's own. Mine failed before too.

That's why it's critical to get the diagnosis done properly as Red Bean Bun said, else you end up changing a ton of things you don't need to.

Hi Sean, do u have the same symptoms as mine when you got this fault?

Guys. I'm encountering the same problem as ckwhon. When I accelerate, the vehicle will jerk and slow down instead of giving it more power.

Do you recommend I change the Valvetronics eccentric shaft sensor or bring it to my workshop for full diagnosis?

ckwhon;1085924 said:
Hi Sean, do u have the same symptoms as mine when you got this fault?

aventus;1097741 said:
Guys. I'm encountering the same problem as ckwhon. When I accelerate, the vehicle will jerk and slow down instead of giving it more power.

Do you recommend I change the Valvetronics eccentric shaft sensor or bring it to my workshop for full diagnosis?

Sorry ckwhon for the late response I must have missed this.

Aventus, the same symptom can be caused by many factors. Make sure you send it to a good professional BMW workshop for a proper troubleshooting.

All in all, our BMWs are complicated machines, and trying to diagnose things the old way through the symptoms could results in thousands of $ down the drain. Read up some of our bros' experiences here:

http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86119

I see... Thank you seanskye for the advice.

aventus;1097741 said:

i'm also having this problem. Car will jerk when accelerating from 30-50km/h. However this only happen in the morning or after the car has been idle for half a day.

My temp solution is to warm up the car for 2-3 minutes in the morning before i drive off. Till now after i do this, i dont feel the jerk. I wonder why also...

You may wanna try and see if it works for u.

I experienced that for a period of time and with warm up it solves the problem.

It could be good to try cleaning the throttle body intake by simple spray can available from Autobach, just release the
air filter box rubber hose from the throttle body, turn on the engine, spray and raised the rpm to 4000 and release, the iddling problem may be solved.
The small jerking on D while stationary would most likely due to solenoid of the gearbox, changing the transmission fluid help reduce the problem, the fluid and trans oil filter will cost up to SGD 500 excluding labor.

Valvetronic works by oil pressure, dirty engine oil may cause the flow of the oil into the valvetronic.
Try changing the engine oil + oil filter could be a cheaper alternative to try.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam86fyi1

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back