HID Headlight Ballast Replacement

jonsuta

During end of last week, one of my headlight was blacked out and the indicator within the car has indicated a warning for my headlight. Originally, I thought that the problem might be caused by a blown HID bulb. When I drop by a workshop, they evaluated the problem and indicated that the cause is not a blown bulb, but a damaged ballast, which it requires to be replaced.

Today morning, I went to the workshop and was quoted S$800, inclusive of original BMW parts and labor, for a new ballast! I was quite surprised of such high cost!

Wondering if any bros had experience of replacing their ballast for their HID headlight? If so, please share with me of your experience. Also, please advise if there are any preventions for causing the ballast to be damaged. Thank you.

Re: HID Headlight Ballast Replacement

Hi,

I believe most of the BMW ballasts are from Philips OEM.

Remove the ballast, see how it look like, especially the connection part, serve the web, ebay HK, they do sell similar Philips ballast at much lower price...then DIY.

That's the cheaper route :)

Hi,

Recently my front parking light is not working, the system shows front parking light is spoilt . I am wondering do i need to change the whole front light or just the the ring bulb? M driving a 2006 523?

stevenwu;631868 said:
Hi,

Remove the ballast, see how it look like, especially the connection part, serve the web, ebay HK, they do sell similar Philips ballast at much lower price...then DIY.

Hi bro, thank you for your suggestion. I'll keep your suggestion in mind next time when my other headlight ballast is burned out, as I already replaced the burn out one in the workshop.

However, just out of curiosity, is this the usual cost to do this job in workshops?

Just replaced my RHS HID bulb with ballast (actually the ballast is part of the bulb) for around S$350 at R2D. My ride is pre-LCI E60. Not an easy job, as need to release one side of the bumper. As usual, a good job by Rodney at reasonable price.

156F1;634679 said:
Just replaced my RHS HID bulb with ballast (actually the ballast is part of the bulb) for around S$350 at R2D. My ride is pre-LCI E60. Not an easy job, as need to release one side of the bumper. As usual, a good job by Rodney at reasonable price.

Hi 156F1,

Thank you for your info. I'll keep this in-mind for my next ballast repair.

156F1;634679 said:

I believe you mentioned is the D1S base, not the ballast, it is the ignitor. Ballast is another module that found under the headlight housing, away from the bulb and ignitor.

In D1S xenon bulb system, xenon bulb and ignitor come as a single unit.

A pair of Philips D1S 6000k (together with the ignitor as a whole assembly) costs around S$450+, from Eng Soon Pte Ltd.

stevenwu;634827 said:
I believe you mentioned is the D1S base, not the ballast, it is the ignitor. Ballast is another module that found under the headlight housing, away from the bulb and ignitor.

In D1S xenon bulb system, xenon bulb and ignitor come as a single unit.

A pair of Philips D1S 6000k (together with the ignitor as a whole assembly) costs around S$450+, from Eng Soon Pte Ltd.

OIC... thanks for info!

stevenwu;631868 said:
Hi,

Yes, absolutely you can get similar ballast at a lower price but you can't trust 100% :naughty: on the item that it will long last too.

Better, buy it on the right store that's registered by the BMW. For safer steps.... :wavey:

Pennsylvania Electricity;635033 said:
Yes, absolutely you can get similar ballast at a lower price but you can't trust 100% :naughty: on the item that it will long last too.

Better, buy it on the right store that's registered by the BMW. For safer steps.... :wavey:

Fully agreed pal :)

Been to Pennsylvania for product training last year, nice place and 'cold' weather when I was there during Jan period BUT not as bad as twin-city MN

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
win79bingo
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back