How do i retain that new leather smell

jamesis

ask you guys
remember that brand new BMW leather smell when you get your car.
What do they use? The BMW leather lotion that comes with it doesn't smell the same. Any recommendations: I know some out there eg. swissol leather milk, a german one (cant remember the brand) and zaino.

can somehelp help advise on type of cleaner and more importantly the LOTION they use to get back the new beamer car smell (and where to get it too :))

Thanks

Re: How do i retain that new leather smell

Hi, I am interested if you find to retain the brand new leather smell. Thanks.

Wouldn't SPA FOR CARS be able to help you out with that? Alot of our Bros here go to them. I'm tempted to bring my 6er in as well...though it doesn't need any help with the leather scent issue.

What you smell are the volatile oils within the leather. It is possible to buy these oils, at least, the mink oil is easy to get. Not from an automotive shop though, but more from shoe shops etc.

For a not so satisfactory smell of leather, but cheaper and probably more preserving, look for a brand called Lexol leather cleaner which I buy regularly from the US but I have not seen it here. Buy the cleaner and conditioner separately.

thanks much.
Curerntly got a few, Zaino, Swissol, Beamer and another German learder guard or soemthing. All are lotions. Thanks. But smells very different..

Sorry for my ignorance. What is the main purpose for applying the mink oil beside the smell?

Leather is an organic material, and that it stays nice and supple is highly dependent on it having its natural oils replenished when the oil is removed due to wrong cleaning, friction with your clothes, natural evaporation etc. These natural oils form part of the structure of leather, filling in the blanks where the keratin is not present etc. The evaporation of these oils give you that characteristic leather smell.

The closest known thing to leather's natural oils, is mink oil. The evaporation of mink oil approximates the smell of leather, in fact, a more pure smell than leather's natural oils.

In fact, if you play tennis a lot for example, and get into your car before bathing, it conditions the leather too. Unfortunately, if you're dirty, the bacteria also gets into the leather causing a certain smell. Manly I guess...

Interestingly I found it....

Leather fragrance for car interiors fom AutoXTC - for leather car interiors - AutoXTC Leather Fragrance - 500ml (Powered by CubeCart)

www.autoxtc.co.uk

The rich look of leather car seats. The expensive feel of fine hides. The pleasing aroma of fine leather upholstery.
Nothing makes a car more emotionally enticing than the smell of leather - and our spray is as close as you will ever get to the smell of natural leather.
Perfect for owners of cars with leather interiors that have lost their smell - or car owners without leather interiors who still want to enjoy the aroma of leather.
Simply spray around your car's interior to bring back that new leather smell.
Suitable for use in car & home !

Cost a whopping £18.95 for 500ml.

I read somewhere they provide 25% discount as well.

Hi, did anyone try that brand Dezzy discovered? Is the leather scent the same as our Bimmers?

ok guys. I got the "orginal mink oil" from Home Fix 2 weesk ago. I cleaned up the leather seats with Zaino leather cleaner and applied the oil on my beige seats. The smell has come back a bit. It does work. 13 bucks for it. But the smell is pretty light as compared to when I first got the car. The good news is that people who sit in the car feedback that it smells pretty new. :)

I tried it on my sis' beamer with black seats but it turned out to be very glossy so thesuggestion is to really wipe it dry and off.

I spoke to some of my car dealer contacts who told me that the new car smell is actually pretty toxic.. in any case best to have the leather cleaned up and then apply leather lotion or mink oil. It is pretty decent stuff.

Please note that the smell is not immediate with the mink oil.

have u tried the zaino one.. it is not bad but didn have that continental smell (psychological i guess). there is a learder guard i got from hap li.. not bad but makes it smell like an italian sofa set. didn really dig the autoglym or the zymol one (banana smell..i mean honestly)

Jamesis,
Since you used the Zaino cleaner, have you used the Zaino Leather in a bottle? How's the smell of it? Is it like the new Bimmer smell, or does it smell like a shoe shop?

Hi there
yes i have used that before. The smell is definitely that of leather but it is not the same as that of the bimmer.. closest i got to was the mink il which works well for new cars and maintenance. comment is that the scent is light.

I use both the zaino cleaner and leather in a bottle too.. it smells great tho it's not the BMW leather smell, it's more of a new lexus leather smell. Doesn't matter that much to me tho cos peeps still comment that my car smells like new.

If the mink oil works but not strong, does applying it every week 'strengthen' the smell? Are you also saying that the Bimmer new car leather smell is actually mink oil smell?

bimmerman;260376 said:
If the mink oil works but not strong, does applying it every week 'strengthen' the smell? Are you also saying that the Bimmer new car leather smell is actually mink oil smell?
BMW must be using some oil or chemicals. Somehow the mink oil helps to release back those oils and hence the smell. I have not tried using it every week cos it tends to be pretty oily.. will let you know..
prob will check out some of the furniture shops soon

Went to HomeFix and found an entire collection of leather maintenance products. Didn't know such products is a big industry here! I smelled the mink oil bottles and yes, there is a faint smell, resembling the new bimmer smell. In the end, I got the Zaino Leather in a bottle. It's the most authentic leather smell in the market. Even the cleaner smells like it.

I have come to the conclusion that the new car smell is not just about new leather. New leather smells exactly like Zaino's LIAB. The new car smell comes from the smell of plastics, air-con vent ducts, new fabrics etc. Just go to PML's show room and smell the seats (don't get caught, they'll think your'e nuts!) the seats are not the source of the smell, but it is the ambient smell of the cabin. My E90 is just over 2 weeks old and still has that smell, but it is very strong when I turn the a/c on. That's how I've come to that conclusion. When the smell fades, I'm gonna use Zaino. It's not the same smell, but it definitely smells new!

yes the zaino is a great leather smell..
one tip i learned.. when i use the zaino leather cleaner, get a soft brush (cazcomp should be able to sell the swissol brush). that will help get the dirt of the crevices..

the only problem is that the leather in a bottle smell doesn't last very long.... 4 days at most? but it's quite addictive... i use it as my car's "air-fresherner".

Yeah, if I were Zaino, I would concoct the lotion to last 2 days tops. More $$$!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
giorgi
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back