How Do You Connect Your GPS Set? Any Advice

aerobic

Hi everyone, need to get some input from you.. I am considering to get a Garmin GPS. And I was told by PM that if I hardwire the power cable of the GPS to any part of the car, I will take the risk of warr being void if any thing goes wrong with the electronics of the car.. and they suggest that I just connect to the cigarette lighter socket.

But I was told that the cigarette lighter socket is still active even when the car engine is turned off.. meaning if I connect the GPS to the lighter socket, the battery will go flat also the Garmin may be spoilt by over charging..

Anyone can comment how you do your power connection? :|

Re: How Do You Connect Your GPS Set? Any Advice

Juz go to Pin Liang located opp Zouk below the HDB flats. They will do a good job and of course when engine off, charging will stop. Whatever u heard was plain bs.

aerobic;487619 said:
But I was told that the cigarette lighter socket is still active even when the car engine is turned off.. meaning if I connect the GPS to the lighter socket, the battery will go flat also the Garmin may be spoilt by over charging..
Not true. Power fr the ciggy lighter socket to my Garmin shuts off when i turn off car engine and REMOVE the key. Mine is pre FL E90.

E46 here...bo turn off when engine cut.

pilotsnoopy;487694 said:
E46 here...bo turn off when engine cut.
Ya, for E46 it's like that.

C3P0;487707 said:
Ya, for E46 it's like that.

dun talk to me...you abandon E46 liao...

My previous E46 (2004 Sports Edition).... engine off, key out. Power in cig socket remains on for another 15 minutes, then cuts off.

MapleLeaf;487808 said:
My previous E46 (2004 Sports Edition).... engine off, key out. Power in cig socket remains on for another 15 minutes, then cuts off.

how did u know??!

Got mine done at BVO.

Extension of power cord in lower steering wheel area. Turns on when car turns off, off when car ignition is off, so doesn't drain.

Job done in like 15 minutes.

In fact, i hardwired my GPS (you can see it peeking right at the top of the photo below), and TPMS (tyre pressure monitoring system) at BVO (call bernard at 9682 5571). Been running this setup for easily the last 6-8 months, no battery issues and everything is cool.

In fact, am adding more stuff, so draining isn't an issue unless it's not wired up right.

img8483.jpg

pilotsnoopy;487810 said:
how did u know??!

Tested. I had an extension 3-hole block attached. There is a red LED light to indicate 'Power'. Even with key out, radio can work for another 15 mins before it's cut. I played music while waxing car mah.

For my current E60, I hard-wired the 3-hole block to a Acc point. So power goes off immediately (for peace of mind).

Thanks for all your comments..
I made a call to another Svc Adviser and he told me cigarette lighter socket should turn off when car turn off.. but he's double checking to make sure.. I am driving a 320 (2008 model), I think it should be an E90.. (correct me if I am wrong)..
I also called Garmin.. I am interested in the new 5" model 1460, and they advise me to keep it always plugged in when driving.. because the battery live even when new is only about 1 hr or a little bit more.. and the battery is made to take constant charging, even when the battery is fully charge.. so its ok.. So likely I will go for permanent connection to the cigarette lighter.. for convenience.. Longhorn, may I know where you got your done? Also how does the cable go into the central compartment, did you have to drill any holes? or is there a gap which can allow a small thin cable to go through even if the central compartment is closed? Thanks.

aerobic. thousand apologies. i didnt realise that u asked me a question until i went thru this old thread again..
well better late than never is what my mum taught me 8)
I didnt do any installation. just have the unsightly cable running from centre console to windscreen..
since i'm here might as well ask. does anyone have any new ideas how/where to install n connect the GPS unit? thx.

Today i went to East Gear (im using a Holux) and they have this sandbag friction mount which can just sit on the dashboard without using the suction cup on the window

However, i have idrive which makes the GPS stick out too much in the front dashboard and blocks the driving view so i decided not to get it. Bros who dun have idrive can consider that as an alternative

East gear kindly directed me to another shop in serangoon and says that they can connect the gps nicely in the car so i made my way down.

When i was there, the owner told me that for BMW and Benz, they will not connect to the main electricals inside the car since it is very sensitive and can easily short (and also which voids the warranty). So he shared another way which is to buy a external 2 port cigaretter adapter and to connect to the main one whilst hiding all the wires nicely (its like having a wire from the main socket coming out to the 2 port socket and then the wire to the GPS). He said will conceal the wires as much as possible and this way will not touch the main electricals

I'm wondering if any bros have done it that way and if so, can share your setup pix?

Ya, i did the same, on the getin pwr fm the cigratte lighter as well, sorry no pics

Some e90 and e92 come with a Garmin GPS installed at the centre console by PML. Do you know where PML outsources the installation to? It is wired to the car, thus charges the GPS when the engine is turned on. it allows blue-tooth connection with the phone and the sound goes to the car speakers and volume contollable with steering wheel.

They do it themselves.. and it requires drilling on the dash board.. and I don't think they will sell you the kit.. and if you ask them to install it for you.. if I am not wrong.. its nearly $1K..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ae8888tech
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back