How Do You Manage Without A Spare Tyre?

Re: How Do You Manage Without A Spare Tyre?

I would travel light any day ...... :)

Vansoh;994751 said:
My tyre indicator came on along cte near moulmein, drove to ubi straight away to check. But alas, upon taking off the tyre, was told the tyre up the lorry ler. Changed one PSS only as the tyres were only 3mths old.

Best part is, i have a portable compressor and tyre repair kit in the boot. Never thought such short distance also cannot tahan. Am on 19" btw.

Expensive lesson.

Travel light? Its the lightest possible setting already, only me in the car.

Last week I got a big screw in my left rear tyre PSS FTY. Plucked it out using a plier, tyre deflated. Drove at 40kmh to nearby hankook got it patched at $12. But there is no alarm displayed despite on a deflated tyre.....

angcheekeong;994785 said:
Last week I got a big screw in my left rear tyre PSS FTY. Plucked it out using a plier, tyre deflated. Drove at 40kmh to nearby hankook got it patched at $12. But there is no alarm displayed despite on a deflated tyre.....

Did u activate ur pressure monitoring??

Just out of curiosity ..... Why pluck it out ?

Did you calibrate your tire pressure monitor? You need to do it everytime you pump air into your tires.

Don't drive far with a flat tire. I warped my rims before. Not worth it.

yes, I initialise the tyre pressure a few times before and after plucking out the screw.

The screw was right on the thread and sticking halfway, while driving u can hear clearly the "clock clock" sound generated by the screw and tarmac. Thought it will further damage the tyre, so I plucked it out instead, testing the RFT whether it really works.

I think its worth using RFT as we don't have to waste time changing tyre on the road and of course, nowadays the trend is without spare tyre.

View attachment 50755View attachment 50756

angcheekeong;994796 said:
yes, I initialise the tyre pressure a few times before and after plucking out the screw.

The screw was right on the thread and sticking halfway, while driving u can hear clearly the "clock clock" sound generated by the screw and tarmac. Thought it will further damage the tyre, so I plucked it out instead, testing the RFT whether it really works.

I think its worth using RFT as we don't have to waste time changing tyre on the road and of course, nowadays the trend is without spare tyre.

View attachment 50755View attachment 50756

I heard of Pilot Sport PS2 ZP but PSS ZP?
Bro, can share where to get?
I am a RFT fans for a peace of mind when travel up north. It really helps.

Plucked it out using a plier, tyre deflated....

Oh, didn't know you were on run flats. its ok to drve around at lower speeds then...

R335;994702 said:
u may wish to consider Airman. It comes wif the sealant n the compressor kit together.
Where can I get this and how much does it cost?

tiger1;994710 said:
Yup. I kana exactly wat u disscribe. Cry No Tears!
So how did you solve your puncture issue? Did a tow truck magically appear?

alvin01;994825 said:
So how did you solve your puncture issue? Did a tow truck magically appear?

I knw wat you are trying to say..., but no. I am sure this wasnt staged.

I try to cut the long story short.

Abt 60km before melecca, tyre punctured. Stop car by the rd side. Checked car, rear left totally flat. Thought i smart as i brought an emergency tyre form repair kit fr singapore just in case. I put it in and it can out via the side wall, messy stuff. To add insult, started to rain!

Called Toll EMS n they dispatched a truck which appearred 3 mins later with a car on tow liao.

Told me 2 options. 1- wait for them to finish their existing "customer" and they would come back to tow me. Eta, 60 mins. 2- they take my rim and tyre and fit a new one in melecca and then come back. Eta 60 mins. Lan lan say option 2.

They passed me the phone and i spoke to the tyre shop, ony got 215/55/17 instead of 225/55/17. RM 700. Stupiak brand. No choice, double lan lan said ok.

Toll truck came back and fitted tyre back to my car.

Steering wheel abve 90km/h shaking like crazy. Slowly drove to melecca.

Went to tyre shopsssss, see singapore bmw, brought out godzilla knife. Quoted average RM 1000 for CSC 5. Tripple lan lan, park car far far away, walk to tyre shop one last try and quted RM 800. Said ok and drove my car over. Can see his face abit "tui".

Return back to singapore, drove for 5k more and did tyre rotation. Just felt that steering shake a bit. Change 2 csc5 again just to even out. My old set was only 6 mths old. Cost, sgd 700.

All in...my 4/3 melecca, "overspent" by sgd 1000!

Tamade tamade tamade.

Really hope there is a tyre shop in singapore that could loan out a spare tyre to us when we drive up to malaysia nsh.

Ahhh. Felt better now after releasing this unforgetable trip!

Feel for you bro .........

How come never try calling the state distributor for CSC over there .......

tiger1;994921 said:

Abt 60km before melecca, tyre punctured. Stop car by the rd side. Checked car, rear left totally flat. Thought i smart as i brought an emergency tyre form repair kit fr singapore just in case. I put it in and it can out via the side wall, messy stuff. To add insult, started to rain!

Called Toll EMS n they dispatched a truck which appearred 3 mins later with a car on tow liao.

Told me 2 options. 1- wait for them to finish their existing "customer" and they would come back to tow me. Eta, 60 mins. 2- they take my rim and tyre and fit a new one in melecca and then come back. Eta 60 mins. Lan lan say option 2.

They passed me the phone and i spoke to the tyre shop, ony got 215/55/17 instead of 225/55/17. RM 700. Stupiak brand. No choice, double lan lan said ok.

Went to tyre shopsssss, see singapore bmw, brought out godzilla knife. Quoted average RM 1000 for CSC 5. Tripple lan lan, park car far far away, walk to tyre shop one last try and quted RM 800. Said ok and drove my car over. Can see his face abit "tui".

Return back to singapore, drove for 5k more and did tyre rotation. Just felt that steering shake a bit. Change 2 csc5 again just to even out. My old set was only 6 mths old. Cost, sgd 700.

Tamade tamade tamade.

Really hope there is a tyre shop in singapore that could loan out a spare tyre to us when we drive up to malaysia nsh.

Red_Bean_Bun;994927 said:
Feel for you bro .........

How come never try calling the state distributor for CSC over there .......

Hahahahaha.... dats the funniest suggestion ever.

I'll tell you... msia dun work dat way. It was prolly a weekend (office closed, boss on holiday) and tyre trading is a cartel anyway. Supplier will back the shop all the way.

Anyway, dats why the bmw club malaysia has a tyre price thread where they compile the prices.
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?p=821818

Last edited by a moderator:

tiger1;994921 said:

Tamade tamade tamade.

Bro,should feel happy tat u r back safe n sound. Imagine those ali kuku proton wira stop behind u instead of tow truck. Few.ppl cum down n ask u 4 ur car key n drove ur car away. Think tats more jia lat then spent 1k. I got fren went in jb eat nia n cum out wif smash window n missing headunit n vafc.

How Do You Manage Without A Spare Tyre?

Safe and sound ..... That is the important bit.

Ah yang;994944 said:
Bro,should feel happy tat u r back safe n sound. Imagine those ali kuku proton wira stop behind u instead of tow truck. Few.ppl cum down n ask u 4 ur car key n drove ur car away. Think tats more jia lat then spent 1k. I got fren went in jb eat nia n cum out wif smash window n missing headunit n vafc.

vegadonovan;994650 said:
why the need to change all rims? wouldn't it only affect the punctured rim/tyre?

Also I hate to ask this, is it a must to change tyres as a pair? why can't we change only the punctured tyre?

Thanks, I have no experience in this thus asking here.

And yes i keep a bottle of the sealant. Also the question is if it works on a 20 inch 285 tyre..... Anyone tried?

There's no need to change all the rims.

However, (assuming you have damaged one rim by travelling on it with a flat tyre), if they cannot find one identical rim or a pair at least, you'll have to change all four for consistency, or drive with a spare tyre while looking for a good rim.

It is not possible to drive with a flat tyre for more than 15 minutes. I once had my car towed with a flat tyre. The moron towed it on the wheel that was flat (at that time I didn't know this was not dumb...newbie lor). Within 10 minutes, and at towing speed, the tyre had ripped to shreds. Literally. Strong burning smell as well. Was interesting to see what the innards of a tyre was like. :)

So I'm not sure how you pulled off driving all over the island. Have not read the rest of this thread so if you've explained, then my apologies.

Rims will not be damaged on run flat tyres if driven within the low speed limit that they can tolerate. In that case, just change the tyre.

If you have a puncture, you can always inflate and drive, inflate and drive, if necessary. One of those compact cigarette lighter operated tyre inflators only costs $20 and imo is well worth the peace of mind to have it on hand.

I've tried sealant....wasn't too happy with my results. Best thing about them is that they provide strong compressed air, enough to reinflate on tyre within 5 minutes.

Rgds, Roberto

replace with back runflat tyre is like paying a Insurance premium to save or Safe all the trouble in the event of flat tyre.(which allow to continue driving limited at 80km/h for 80km)
carrying a portable pump / repair kit (is not easy job for most of us) is after the tyre flat which still require you to stop the veh (please park at safe place) to do the necessary temp measure.
carry a spare tyre allow you to put on it and continue your journey.
Carry extra cash (cash is KING) you can always look for help but just got to wait:biggun:
for car that equip with in car TPMS which will alert you in the event of tyre pressure lost and allow you to start thinking of what to do before the tyre is completely flat (immobilised)

roberttan;995447 said:
replace with back runflat tyre is like paying a Insurance premium to save or Safe all the trouble in the event of flat tyre.(which allow to continue driving limited at 80km/h for 80km)
carrying a portable pump / repair kit (is not easy job for most of us) is after the tyre flat which still require you to stop the veh (please park at safe place) to do the necessary temp measure.

That is true, runflat tyres are a good insurance. But insurance is not supposed to cost 2-3 times the cost of the thing being insured. If you are insured for $1m, you should not be paying $2m in annual premiums, you should be paying like 1%. Runflats have an exorbitant cost compared to normal premium tyres.

Furthermore, runflats are heavier than normal tyres. That puts more rotational inertia at your wheels, which means more energy needed to move the car, which translates into lower bhp and higher fuel consumption. There is a cost to this as well. Add it up and I don't think its worth it.

Basically, the best way to tackle this is simple. Have the $20 tyre inflator and/or a $20 tyre puncture sealant tube ready. Check your tyres for odd tyre wear regularly. Make sure they are inflated correctly. And only buy solid tyres like Continental, no the stupid malaysian/indonesian stuff. Have a spare tyre in the trunk and a jack. Know how to use these. Make sure the spare tyre is not more than 4 years old, and that its properly inflated (your own portable compressor can do this, it comes with a pressure gauge). And have a list of emergency phone numbers for both sides of the causeway saved into your phone, include AA singapore and Malaysia. You don't need AA membership, if you're in a jam, call them and buy the membership over the phone and they will respond on the spot.

Most tyre rupture issues are mere punctures (95%). These require constant reinflation and you'll be able to drive. They are easily patched by ordinary tyre shops, and its cheap. In fact, in the US, they sell nail removal and tyre patch kits, exactly like what the tyre shops use, and if you can find the nail etc I bet it can be done especially if we're talking front tyres where you can turn them out for easy access to you for repair.

Anyway, the cost benefit analysis for run-flats do not favour the investment. And when it comes to insurance, you can have no limits if you're so minded. That's my take on the issue..

It would be very good if the industry could invent some kind of self sealing tyres. After all, they came up with self sealing fuel tanks during WWII. Then, all we will need to do is to have each tyre checked at every oil change for suspicious nails etc and perform a conventional patch then. We can dream...

Roberto

Last edited by a moderator:

Fellow bros,just curious if on staggered setup,carry 2 different sizes of spare tyres?any place to intro on where to buy the portable pump,any brands reccomended

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pixlogix
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back