How low is the engine oil level before it triggers the warning sign?

Hi guys, was wondering how low is the engine oil level before it actually triggers the warning sign on the dashboard? Mine is already below 50% mark as per my pic but still no warning sign yet? Any kind bros can help to shed some light on this issue? Thanks!

Re: How low is the engine oil level before it triggers the warning sign?

It will light u when it hits the last bar.but than i topped up. But of cos try not to push it just in case you hit 1/4 on worst case your gasket might be causing the leak. And you don't have time to react

the warning light will come out anytime

jz spare a bottle of 1l oil in your boot

Oh I see... Thanks for all the comments! So when the warning sign comes on, it means I lost 1 litre of engine oil and need to top up asap? I do suspect leaks on the gasket and I should get it sorted soon... Any immediate danger for leaks like that? Sorry for the noob questions...

i have been topping up for the last 10 mths

if not wrong, you need to top up within 50km after the warning light cum out

My warning light will appear after travel for 9km.

Warning will come on and ask you to top up 1L

So it's good advice to keep a spare 1L engine oil in your boot

Check your oil sensor to make sure it's working, overfilling it could be bad for engine too

Marcus320i;1035421 said:
Hi guys, was wondering how low is the engine oil level before it actually triggers the warning sign on the dashboard? Mine is already below 50% mark as per my pic but still no warning sign yet? Any kind bros can help to shed some light on this issue? Thanks!

1 liter below max volume it will light up ....

How low is the engine oil level before it triggers the warning sign?

Marcus320i;1035421 said:

View attachment 55165

My advice - do not top up just because the oil level is fluctuating between the Min/Max marks which are those two marks you see in your picture, if the warning light did not light up to ask you to top up (unless you damn suay and the sensor failed). Sometimes the level fluctuates from Max to some where between the two marks because of EO being thrown around or sloshed in the case when the car is moving.

Last time I had a gasket leak that had to be repaired by a dealer's workshop more than three times. To cut the long story short, those f***king useless buggers were simply... useless - failed to repair the leak and each time they topped up 1-2litres of oil thinking the oil had leaked away (they said indicator was showing min mark too).

After so many failed attempts, I turned to Doc who saved my arse. While repairing the faults, he found TEN (10) liters of oil in the engine. Luckily the engine was not damaged and worked fine (this also proved that BMW engines are damn strong, cos if it were my Hondas surely the engine would have chiu'ed).

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you guys for all the advice! The warning signal finally came yesterday and I topped up 1 litre of engine oil as per advice. The signal is gone now but when i checked the bar scale level, it did not show full bar... It only reached the first marking on the right of the bar... Is that normal? Or should it reflect a full bar? Puzzled...

Check your oil level sensor.

Which WS is that ? Quite terok ......

seanskye;1036185 said:
My advice - do not top up just because the oil level is fluctuating between the Min/Max marks which are those two marks you see in your picture, if the warning light did not light up to ask you to top up (unless you damn suay and the sensor failed). Sometimes the level fluctuates from Max to some where between the two marks because of EO being thrown around or sloshed in the case when the car is moving.

Last time I had a gasket leak that had to be repaired by a dealer's workshop more than three times. To cut the long story short, those f***king useless buggers were simply... useless - failed to repair the leak and each time they topped up 1-2litres of oil thinking the oil had leaked away (they said indicator was showing min mark too).

After so many failed attempts, I turned to Doc who saved my arse. While repairing the faults, he found TEN (10) liters of oil in the engine. Luckily the engine was not damaged and worked fine (this also proved that BMW engines are damn strong, cos if it were my Hondas surely the engine would have chiu'ed).

Marcus320i;1036259 said:
Thank you guys for all the advice! The warning signal finally came yesterday and I topped up 1 litre of engine oil as per advice. The signal is gone now but when i checked the bar scale level, it did not show full bar... It only reached the first marking on the right of the bar... Is that normal? Or should it reflect a full bar? Puzzled...

this is correct

Marcus320i;1036259 said:

do not be alarm..... drive a little while longer and the indicator will point to full bar...... is normal for my 2005 E90.

Red_Bean_Bun;1036282 said:
Which WS is that ? Quite terok ......

Tell you offline. Quite a big workshop, but thankfully not one of our site sponsors.

Hi, this is not 50% of oil level, but 50% between Max and Min.
My understanding is it's about 1 litre between Min and Max so top up 1 litre when oil level hit Min.
No worry. It's no good to top up to above Max as it will build up oil pressure that damage oil seals.

My E90 engine oil low sign just popped up and asked to top up 1 litre. Hong more can i drive to get it topped up?any specific brand or type of engine oil that i should buy to top up? I know my workshop uses OWS during my previous servicing, will there be any probl if i use another brand to top up?

rayyang81;1037812 said:
My E90 engine oil low sign just popped up and asked to top up 1 litre. Hong more can i drive to get it topped up?any specific brand or type of engine oil that i should buy to top up? I know my workshop uses OWS during my previous servicing, will there be any probl if i use another brand to top up?

I believed as long the grade is similar, brand may not be so significant.

Best is to stick to same manufacturer... Each use their own base oil to produce their synthetic, advisable not to mix.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n6663

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back