How to get more power

Friends...

Standalone ECUs do not work very well with auto transmissions as the gear changes will be done under full power. Transmissions these days have computers ( EGS in BMs ) that talks to the engine ECU to signal them to retard ignition or cut fuel when the transmission is about to change gears. The communication between the EGS and ECU is not merely a voltage signal level between them but rather a complex digital data stream. It is for this reason that piggy back systems flourish and are so adaptable.

In the topic of turbos and superchargers, a turbo is an exhaust mod that carries a fine of $500. :| A supercharger is an engine mod that goes for $2000. :( A change in capacity is a criminal offence as it invilves cheating the government.... :silenced: :naughty:

If low end torque is what you are after, can consider changing your final drive to a slightly higher ratio. this has to be balalnced with the cruising requirements.

thank you everyone for your enlightened posts. i've checked out bvo and the guy there recommended doing nothing to the car other than installing an obit system. after chatting with those in the know, i'm adopting a wait and see attitude to determine how reliable this piggyback ecu gizmo really is in the long run. whether it harms your engine and gives you doom and gloom in exchange for the short term thrill of more vroom vroom.

Re: How to get more power

JT said:
Blown engines are damn good for short sprints and bursts of power... but they do tend to get out of puff for long distance highway high speed cruising.
Big engines (NA- normally aspirated) tend to loose out on out an out short sprints with similarly rated blown (force induction) engines but they can maintain high speeds for a the longer haul.

I strongly disagree with these statements. I think they are a bit too sweeping.

Please see http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2211 for reasons.

I am a advocate of blown engines but a recent experience has made me realised that you can't really have your cake and eat it.
I recently "annoyed" (more like we entertained each other on our way back to Singapore on the N-S highway) a WRX,STI (that's what the badge on the back said; yeah... I was behind him most of the way)
We hit speeds between 160-200+km/h almost from malacca to pagoh.
His acceleration was EXPLOSIVE to say the least... but he had to let the turbos "rest" and that's when my old jalopy E34 reeled him in ;-)
Beauty of it was that we didn't have any hard feelings after the whole thing.. we waved each other off when he pulled into Pagoh rest stop.

If the car was a poser STI and really only a WRX, then he was seriously outgeared (gears too short). Those things get really bad past the 170km/h range.

noew, to get more power, change to m3 or m5 if u still wanna drive bmw. otherwise, just get any mitsu evo or impreza or other full blown forced induction cars......hehe.....

so by dropping a SC in ur engine...can a standard steptronic transmission n gearbox take it? say a 3 litre, 231hp goes to 340/350 according to BVO, wud u need to modify the trans?

totoseow said:
so by dropping a SC in ur engine...can a standard steptronic transmission n gearbox take it? say a 3 litre, 231hp goes to 340/350 according to BVO, wud u need to modify the trans?

Its more to the failure of the torque converter first. However, I would think stock auto tranny is still capable of sustaining the said power.

But its just a matter of time it will slip and give way. So once kuput, change to a manual and you will have less worry.

Cheers!

Whisky_Tango said:
So once kuput, change to a manual and you will have less worry.Cheers!

Eric,

Juz curious, is there a price range for conversion from auto to manual gearbox and wld LTA approve?

T6 said:
Eric,

Juz curious, is there a price range for conversion from auto to manual gearbox and wld LTA approve?

Andy,

New auto tranny from PML cost ard S$8K
Manual gearbox cost ard S$3k-S$4K
Labour cost maybe S$500

Above juz my assumptions.

As for LTA approval, basically its valid documentation for verification purposes and also update the log card.
I do not know the detail procedures, suggest its better to check LTA website or call them to be sure.

Cheers!

Whisky_Tango said:
T6 said:
Eric,

Andy,

New auto tranny from PML cost ard S$8K
Manual gearbox cost ard S$3k-S$4K
Labour cost maybe S$500

Above juz my assumptions.

As for LTA approval, basically its valid documentation for verification purposes and also update the log card.
I do not know the detail procedures, suggest its better to check LTA website or call them to be sure.

Cheers!
hi, when u say 3-4k, r u refering to new or used manual gearbox??? and which workshop are u refering to?? thanks

anything more than 300bhp fault light will come on and your tranny will slip. you should be having the ZF 5HP19 transmission. Those having the GM transmission should be able to take up to 350Nm. better stick to 6.5psi. if not transmission confirm pit.

snowman said:
hi, when u say 3-4k, r u refering to new or used manual gearbox??? and which workshop are u refering to?? thanks

3-4k are for new manual gearbox.

My assumption does not relate to any workshop. But workshops like Juzz4car and BVO should be able to help you out.

Whisky_Tango said:
snowman said:

3-4k are for new manual gearbox.

My assumption does not relate to any workshop. But workshops like Juzz4car and BVO should be able to help you out.
thanks. so am i rt to say that the new manual gearbox they get are not from PML??

Whisky_Tango said:
Must get BMW gearbox else how to pass LTA and change your log card status.

Once your log card reflects manual transmission, then u can go for aftermarket manuals. :)
oh.... but i thot LTA will never approve the tranny swap unless PML do some writing to certified or something like that which they will never do it rt???

snowman said:
oh.... but i thot LTA will never approve the tranny swap unless PML do some writing to certified or something like that which they will never do it rt???

Really? This I wouldn't know. Perhaps someone can share?

Yes snowman, u r rite tat the LTA wld require PML to certified tat the tranny being transplant into ur car is the original from the factory & are made to fit the particular model of ur car be4 they wld approve it.

Guys,

The tranny swap is legal as long as you have the papers to show that it's BMW tranny. It has been done before on an E36 by Juzz 4 Carz and the total cost comes up to around 7k. Dont forget that the cost involved is not just tranny plus labour. It is...

1) tranny
2) flywheel
3) clutch assembly
4) pedals
5) cables
6) ECU
7) Gear knob
8) Center console assembly

Arsony
Topaz Blue NOT on auto...

Arsony said:
Guys,

The tranny swap is legal as long as you have the papers to show that it's BMW tranny. It has been done before on an E36 by Juzz 4 Carz and the total cost comes up to around 7k. Dont forget that the cost involved is not just tranny plus labour. It is...

1) tranny
2) flywheel
3) clutch assembly
4) pedals
5) cables
6) ECU
7) Gear knob
8) Center console assembly

Arsony
Topaz Blue NOT on auto...
7K is for new or used tranny?? so LTA approved the tranny swap???

so does it mean as long as its a BMW tranny, no problem? for example, would it be ok if i were to swap a SMG II from the M3 for the manual in the Z4?

actually, what does it say on the log cards of SMG vehicles? manual or auto? if it says manual, does it mean i don't even need to bother about getting LTA approval?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fun88141
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back