How to lubricate power-driven side mirrors?

wwcf14

Hey guys,

i am extremely new to this community so hope you guys can help me with some queries. I urgently seek guru/experts for advice to lubricate power-driven side mirrors BMW 523i in order to lubricate them (they're hard to move, moving mainly up and down and produce relatively loud noise).

If so, how do i go about doing it? Maybe someone could help me in this area.

Thank you so much!

Re: How to lubricate power-driven side mirrors?

Try KY jelly confirm in/out motion smooth as silk.

wwcf14;890248 said:
Hey guys,

i am extremely new to this community so hope you guys can help me with some queries. I urgently seek guru/experts for advice to lubricate power-driven side mirrors BMW 523i in order to lubricate them (they're hard to move, moving mainly up and down and produce relatively loud noise).

If so, how do i go about doing it? Maybe someone could help me in this area.

Thank you so much!

I had the same problem,with too much noise when I was folding in the side mirrors,sent it to pml(was under warranty that time) and told my tech guy at pml about it,he got the mechanics to oiled it for me foc When they checked the mirrors,told me was a common problem due to wear n tear,especially for those who used the reverse dipping mirror on the left side.

Divespyder;890310 said:

Haha, thanks Andrew! I will probably head to a workshop and check if the car mechanic can do it for me. Not sure how to lubricate it either. ;)

Man13utd13;890336 said:
I had the same problem,with too much noise when I was folding in the side mirrors,sent it to pml(was under warranty that time) and told my tech guy at pml about it,he got the mechanics to oiled it for me foc When they checked the mirrors,told me was a common problem due to wear n tear,especially for those who used the reverse dipping mirror on the left side.

Haha, yeah. My left mirror has issues too! Causing a lot of problem when I am parking the car. I am having problem tilting the side mirror more to the right. Whenever I park I have to shift my head more to the passenger seat on front in order to see the left back of the car. Sigh.

Divespyder;890310 said:

Checked with Autobac. They don't have it there.

Do they have it at Elebest?

wwcf14;890357 said:
Haha, yeah. My left mirror has issues too! Causing a lot of problem when I am parking the car. I am having problem tilting the side mirror more to the right. Whenever I park I have to shift my head more to the passenger seat on front in order to see the left back of the car. Sigh.

If your car is still under warranty,go back ask them to fix it,if not there are some workshops here which are highly recommended by the fellow forummErs,do a search and you will be able to locate them

It's the mechanism. Oil and grease it just temporary. After a while under rain and sun, the noise will come back again. Of course you can continue to oil it. But trust me, after a while, you can't be bothered.
Better buy KY go and lubricate tat part more satisfaction. Hahahaha

Luboil;890621 said:

Different folks, different strokes.

Luboil;890621 said:
It's the mechanism. Oil and grease it just temporary. After a while under rain and sun, the noise will come back again. Of course you can continue to oil it. But trust me, after a while, you can't be bothered.

Jokes aside my tech at pml told me the same thing,he said unless u don't use the folding options at all,then won't spoil and he suggested me to change the motor when the thing completely konked out,if not just oil n oil everytime

Man13utd13;890832 said:
Jokes aside my tech at pml told me the same thing,he said unless u don't use the folding options at all,then won't spoil and he suggested me to change the motor when the thing completely konked out,if not just oil n oil everytime

hm, will probably bring it down to PML or sponsored site workshop for them to fix the issue. having some issues parking right now since i can't tilt the entire mirror to the right. :) Anyway, thanks for all the help!

Luboil;890621 said:

actually if i purchase the mentioned product, how do i apply the lubricant on my own?

The mirror is just clipped on. Once, a bike drove by and hit my mirror slightly. The mirror dropped out, hanging by a few wires. I was able to plug the mirror back.

The sound is mostly likely the worn out motor due to wear and tear. In fact, sometimes it may that it was not used for a long time and some parts of the motor could be rusty. I mean how often you adjust the mirror especially if you are the main driver? May not be something that lubrication will solve if that is the case.

clamsgp;891515 said:
The sound is mostly likely the worn out motor due to wear and tear. In fact, sometimes it may that it was not used for a long time and some parts of the motor could be rusty. I mean how often you adjust the mirror especially if you are the main driver? May not be something that lubrication will solve if that is the case.

haha, i dont often adjust the mirror though. likewise, i feel its the in-build mechanism and i really hope it can be solved without replacing one. I called one of the reputable shop recommended by Divespyder and told them about my side mirror issue. Based on what the car mechanic said, he advised me to change a new stock mirror and highly recommend me to change to m5 mirror LOL! I am still making some consideration though. Anyway, its not like some major issue and i can still be okay without fixing it if its too expensive.

MapleLeaf;891283 said:
The mirror is just clipped on. Once, a bike drove by and hit my mirror slightly. The mirror dropped out, hanging by a few wires. I was able to plug the mirror back.

aww! i am glad you are able to fix the hanging mirror. However, did it affect the rotation and tilting of the side mirror? A few years back when i was driving 730i (back then i was still a P-plate driver) i knocked onto the van by the side and the side mirror just clipped in and a minor scratch by the side thats all. I guess thats the power and toughness of a BMW.. Haha..

wwcf14;890937 said:
hm, will probably bring it down to PML or sponsored site workshop for them to fix the issue. having some issues parking right now since i can't tilt the entire mirror to the right. :) Anyway, thanks for all the help!
I don't use the dipping left mirror for reversing so not much of a problem for me though

wwcf14;891528 said:
haha, i dont often adjust the mirror though. likewise, i feel its the in-build mechanism and i really hope it can be solved without replacing one. I called one of the reputable shop recommended by Divespyder and told them about my side mirror issue. Based on what the car mechanic said, he advised me to change a new stock mirror and highly recommend me to change to m5 mirror LOL! I am still making some consideration though. Anyway, its not like some major issue and i can still be okay without fixing it if its too expensive.

No kidding me the mechanic really asked you to change to M mirror?!!!

Man13utd13;891616 said:
I don't use the dipping left mirror for reversing so not much of a problem for me though

I don't either. I find it quite disorienting. While it may be helpful to align with the parking lot marking line, very often I find I need to park such that it is equidistant from the cars on the left and right.

Divespyder;892107 said:
No kidding me the mechanic really asked you to change to M mirror?!!!

haha, yeah lo.. tempting leh..

clamsgp;892507 said:
I don't either. I find it quite disorienting. While it may be helpful to align with the parking lot marking line, very often I find I need to park such that it is equidistant from the cars on the left and right.

I dip the left mirror to check the curb to avoid curbing my rims when reversing into a lot. Useful.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kubetgenin

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back