ICV cleaning

leowjulen

Hi all,

I've had crappy idling for the past few days and decided to have a go at cleaning the ICV. Took it out, sprayed it liberally with WD40 and cleaned out loadsa gunk, and now the car runs much better.

It's just occured to me though, that since WD40 is just oil, isn't it going to get lots of dust and gunk sticking to it?

Does anyone have a better idea on what kind of fliud/cleanser to use for the ICV?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Cheers
ljl

http://starblog.stomp.com.sg/post.php?blogid=671

Re: ICV cleaning

phil;278655 said:
use carby clean

Thanks, I did think of that, but to be honest that stuff is really toxic and I've got second thoughts about spraying it into the environment, unless I can't help it.

(I once spritzed some carb cleaner on a roach and it dropped dead in 2 seconds flat, unlike with pesticide which seems to entail half a can and ten minutes of flying around the room!)

I was thinking of alchohol, like the kind we used to use for floppy drive cleaners, or maybe even petrol, but would that strip the ICV too clean? I'm thinking the various sliding doors and stuff inside there need a bit of lubrication.

LJL

petrol and alcohol is also toxic what. Alcohol wont do anything, acetone might

carby clean and a cigarette lighter usually kills a few cockroaches!!

petrol might work, but that stuff is hardcore to remove so carby clean is best.

the WD40 wont harm anything

i think he means idle control valve

but i took it to mean the throttle body. thats where idle is set, at the butterfly, if its dirty, no air flow past, bad idle!

You have to remove it, but it can be done without removing it. Just remove the hose on the throttle body, rev the engine by hands, and squirt carby clean in there!! Like i said though, best to remove it.

phil;278918 said:
i think he means idle control valve

but i took it to mean the throttle body. thats where idle is set, at the butterfly, if its dirty, no air flow past, bad idle!

You have to remove it, but it can be done without removing it. Just remove the hose on the throttle body, rev the engine by hands, and squirt carby clean in there!! Like i said though, best to remove it.

Oh.. but i thot they say the valtronic engines got no TB? but i stand corrected... haven't even peaked into the bonnet since i got the car 1.5 months ago

I actually meant the ICV and not the throttle body; pulled it out and got at it with a toothbrush and Q-tips and WD40, and man was it crusty. Car runs much better now. Tightened up the slack on the throttle cable, too, and throttle response is more instant.

I love old cars - they're so much simpler.

I actually meant the ICV and not the throttle body; pulled it out and got at it with a toothbrush and Q-tips and WD40, and man was it crusty. Car runs much better now. Tightened up the slack on the throttle cable, too, and throttle response is more instant.

I love old cars - they're so much simpler.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shbetcomph

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back