Idle control valve

rssid

Hi guys anyone got a idiots guide to cleaning the Idle Control Valve on a 1992 320I ? I got an erratic idling problem and want to recitify it asap thanks !

Re: Idle control valve

I'm not sure of the 6-pot, but for my 4-pot, I do clean them myself. Make sure engine is cool enough to start probing around.

1. Undo the fastener and take out the wire connector.
2. Detach the vacuum hoses form your ICV.
3. Slide the ICV backwards to free it from the holder.

Hold the ICV in your hand (palm it) and rotate it briskly and listen for the clicking. It is spring loaded. If it doesn't click or it's hard getting the clicks, then it is confirmed dirty.

Have a spray can of Carb Cleaner (or WD-40) and spray into the ICV via the vacuum sockets (both of them). Soak it real good and leave it for about 10 mins. Drain out the liquid and respray to flush it. You may use cotton buds to clean the interior but be very careful not to loose any of the cotton inside as it may jam your ICV. A pincer and fanalite is best (like your rifle cleaning).

After cleaning, spray WD or Carb Cleaner generously, flick the ICV a little to get most of the liquid out. Have it air-dry and re-install the thingy reversing the above procedures. If you are using air-gun, place some distances away so as not to have too powerful a jet of air rushing through it.

After installation, you can try run the engine for 5 ~ 10 minutes to see if there's improvement. If there isn't, look at your fuel pressure regulator..and that's another lesson.

Hope this helps.

Cheerz.

also check out BMW DIY (Do It Yourself)

for the 6-cylinder engines, the icv is buried under the intake manifold.. it would be good to work on a cool engine...cos u will need to do a little manouevering...

hope this helps..:)

m

gwumpkus;168169 said:
also check out BMW DIY (Do It Yourself)

for the 6-cylinder engines, the icv is buried under the intake manifold.. it would be good to work on a cool engine...cos u will need to do a little manouevering...

hope this helps..:)

m

:cloud9: ...now i bz for the weekend :)

Erratic idling.....could it also be the air flow meter??? Possible??

RSSID

JAWSG info is pretty good, I cleaned the ICV on my Euro M3 last weekend, had to remove the plenum, 6 rams horns and the intake duct. The one fitted to the S50B30 is the Bosch T Type ICV, It is a 2 way input solenoid that rotates the rotary valve either direction. I am guessing that it is sent two energising signals from the ECU that counteract each other, that way it is able to operate with stability and accuracy. They do not move much in normal operation so they can look clean as a whistle yet a little gum will freeze it. Of the 3 connections the centre one is common -ve, the outer terminals are for drive in either direction. You can pulse it off a 6 volt battery to prove it is working and operating freely. After re-installing you will notice that it may make the car hunt a little off idle until the ECU has re-calibrated the ICV for the correct idle spead and mixture.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j88comshop j88comshop

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back