Idle RPM

shaun_yu

Hi owners,

can I know what are your E90 320i's steady RPM at idle? Mine used to be at around 7000 but the SA said it should be between 7500-8500. They did some reprogramming and now it hovers around 8000 with some kickback felt as the rpm hunts abit occasionally. Just want to tabulate and see if there is any issue to address there.

My 3mth old car has also a host of other problems and some were fixed as time goes along. But I was expecting better driving/ownership experience. My only grip now is that there is a certain lack of power when pulling from standstill and when easing up gradual slopes with some load (family of 4).

Rgds,
Shaun

Re: Idle RPM

idling at 7000??? i think u mean 700

this seems to be a standard trick that PML SA will use to settle complaints of jerks/vibrations on idle. Do not allow this since the RPM is supposed to be 750rpm. The increase tends to hide the issue somewhat but it does not go away. Perhaps you can list a set of issues you have currently.

ok. typo error :) should be 800rpm as per pointed out. Anyway, my car has a slew of problems but mostly minor fixes like creaking sound from doors, headlamp washer not fixed correctly etc. But my biggest and foremost issue has to do with how the car drives. Something is just not right. It doesn't have the power to pull off from stillstand at traffic and you can actually hear the engine below 2000rpm (groaning and not roaring). And at times, the transmission will decide to downshift and upshift wrongly, so much so you can feel shiftshock. And after PML adjusted the rpm, now it idles at 800rpm and will momentarily hunt to 850 and when it comes down to 800, you can feel a kick in the butt. And the car is just so unpleasant to drive slowly, as like in traffic congestion, the norm of Singapore roads these days. Anyone with similar issue care to share how you gotten the problem solved? I think the crew at PML are as clueless as I am.

Rgds,
Shaun

what petrol do you use? The hunting could be the air con switching in and out at idle. Does it always hunt at idle? How many k's has the car done? Changed spark plugs, air filter?
The lack of power is because its a 4 cylinder. The kick from the trans is a good thing IMO.
Go see Rod at R2d and get the ignition upgrade, it really helped my car alot.

did they update yuor s/w version to the latest. I had issues with gearbox jerking badly at low speeds and it was finally diagnosed as a problem with cylinder head by BMW germany...

ya. they did a s/w upgrade but the cars still idle quite badly at times. The hunting will come on if I switch the aircon to internal circulation mode. The vibrations can be felt inside the car and is especially strong when someone opens the door to come in or go out. I will bring it down to PML and suggest to them about the cylinder head thing. How did Germany BMW come into the picture? They sent someone down to diagnose? I suspect there must be one or two sensors out of specs.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gemwinnavy

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back