iDrive Function

wei0306

Hi...

Anyone knows what are the full function of the iDrive ? On the new 323i (highline), the iDrive has navigation, I also saw a DVD drive there, what can it play ? Just thinking whether its worth while to get one with iDrive as basically you won't be using GPS much in Singapore.

Re: iDrive Function

Besides GPS, audio or MP3 discs/dvds.

But DVD discs containing a lot of MP3 tracks will be quite slow to scroll - better to use the CD changer with multiple discs instead.

Actually, I find this a good question. I also want to know what is the use of iDrive besides GPS navigation.

What are the functions? And are those functions still available without iDrive? For example, still can adjust radio my raw hand pushing button rather than fancy iDrive?

Can some BMW owners help explain iDrive?

from what I know, an iDrive will be extremely useful if your car comes with full spec front and rear PDC. the monitor will show you an illustration to some quite accurate proximity surrounding your car. Is a lot more to just a monitor for DVD/iPhone/iPod Video. is best you go down to get the SE to explain to you. you'll amaze. If I'm buying a 323, for sure I'll go for the highline. I'm sad they decided to not to include the iDrive for 325.

wei0306;276816 said:
Hi...

Anyone knows what are the full function of the iDrive ? On the new 323i (highline), the iDrive has navigation, I also saw a DVD drive there, what can it play ? Just thinking whether its worth while to get one with iDrive as basically you won't be using GPS much in Singapore.

one of my wife's favourite function is using the GPS to find the nearest petrol kiosk, restaurant, etc etc.

for me, not much use, though aesthetically, i find nice to have it there.

That's true, I agree... it make the dashboard looks more 'interesting'. Well, looking for petrol kiosk is really a good function for the GPS especially you are in some unfamiliar neighbourhood estate. The iDrive is definitely something good to have, on top of it, you have rear elec blinds and nicer rims, all for 9K more from the standard 323i.

PML's 325i all out of ex-stock already. There is another thread going on talking about why not get a 325i instead as you can have 40horses more at another 10k from the 323i highline.

acupunch;277048 said:
from what I know, an iDrive will be extremely useful if your car comes with full spec front and rear PDC. the monitor will show you an illustration to some quite accurate proximity surrounding your car. Is a lot more to just a monitor for DVD/iPhone/iPod Video. is best you go down to get the SE to explain to you. you'll amaze. If I'm buying a 323, for sure I'll go for the highline. I'm sad they decided to not to include the iDrive for 325.

I thought iDrive is standard for 325i?

mrericlee;277274 said:

From time to time... they have some odd spec 325 going at lower price.... a few units at most...

seen
1) 325i no idrive
2) 325i no Xenon (got i-drive)

both at 170K...

also seen an over the top spec 325 with full M-option and kevlar AC schnitzer kit going at over 200K... sold within hrs...

wei0306;277270 said:
That's true, I agree... it make the dashboard looks more 'interesting'. Well, looking for petrol kiosk is really a good function for the GPS especially you are in some unfamiliar neighbourhood estate. The iDrive is definitely something good to have, on top of it, you have rear elec blinds and nicer rims, all for 9K more from the standard 323i.

PML's 325i all out of ex-stock already. There is another thread going on talking about why not get a 325i instead as you can have 40horses more at another 10k from the 323i highline.

i don't think there is a right or wrong answer to that...it depends on what one craves for most. for me, i would definitely go for the higher power.. in any case, i got mine when it was 9 month's old, not brand new. forced the dealer to change to the 330i stock rims, 18inch.

Now the 325i's are standard with "Navigation System Professional". Sounds like GPS but I believe this spec means there is iDrive right?

mrericlee;277274 said:
somehow a forum admin, piggyboyz, got his without. maybe you can ask him why lo.
mrericlee;277421 said:
Now the 325i's are standard with "Navigation System Professional". Sounds like GPS but I believe this spec means there is iDrive right?
I think so. :)

For PML, they bring in 2 kinds of i-Drive configurations:

1) i-Drive without navigation, is found only on the BMW 523iA model. It has all the functions of the i-Drive system but just with a a smaller 6.5" LCD screen and without GPS Navigation and the DVD slot.

2) i-Drive with Navigation System Professional, is found on all the other models which state this feature in the equipment list. This version sports a 8.8" LCD screen and comes with GPS Navigation and DVD slot.

The latest i-Drive system also comes with 8 touch-sensitive programmable hot key buttons in the centre console. Btw, the DVD slot is only for the Navigation Disc, so no, cannot watch your Harry Potter DVDs. :)

For 523iA owners, they can opt to change the non-Navi i-Drive in the 523iA to a Navi i-Drive, but it'll cost around $11k+ as PML will have to change the entire centre console and dash to retro-fit the system.

Put Garmin on top of my iDrive.... looks ugly yah.

Is iDrive navigation better than MalSingMaps?

Yes and No. the MalSingMaps are better as the PML version doesnt have any detail from Malaysia. Plus large parts of Singapore dont exist.

However, you will be using the MalSingMaps in an external device like a Garmin. Hardware wise, the inbuilt device is better. Or so I think

I am enjoying my idrive so much. Just to have it plugged to the ipod and be able to see the songs, artiste, genre, etc in the Monitor is so cool.
Mine is a 5 series, and the Idrive does not come with GPS.

the new generation i-drive is full function hard disk based better than last generation which is just crap. current generation is signified by multi button vs the single button.

audio- the new i-drive work better with USB drives for audio and ipod connectability. you can rip you CDs into the car if you want.

video- plays DVD but black out when vehicle is in motion

navigation- sucks big time..user interface is pain in the @ss. map got not much details; compare to say Garnin malsing map. but the bimmer navi system is cool and it never loose tracking even in tunnel. direction change is tracked thru out. may be latest Garmin has improved.

bluetooth connection- this one is cool for communication... pairing with bluetooth phones is easy and voice dialing is good.

voice command is pain in the neck though. the lady never get the pronounciation right.

trip meter; engine/transmission/sport mode set up etc.etc is cool function too.

zag;482618 said:
the new generation i-drive is full function hard disk based better than last generation which is just crap. current generation is signified by multi button vs the single button.

audio- the new i-drive work better with USB drives for audio and ipod connectability. you can rip you CDs into the car if you want.

video- plays DVD but black out when vehicle is in motion

navigation- sucks big time..user interface is pain in the @ss. map got not much details; compare to say Garnin malsing map. but the bimmer navi system is cool and it never loose tracking even in tunnel. direction change is tracked thru out. may be latest Garmin has improved.

bluetooth connection- this one is cool for communication... pairing with bluetooth phones is easy and voice dialing is good.

voice command is pain in the neck though. the lady never get the pronounciation right.

trip meter; engine/transmission/sport mode set up etc.etc is cool function too.

Multi-button iDrive may not necessarily indicate that the system is hard-disk based. I believe the current 5-series iDrive is still using the previous version, despite having a multi-button iDrive.

Navigation - agree the map lacks details, also cannot just enter postal code, but it's interesting how the navi system can still track even when the car is in a building.

spidey833;483024 said:
Navigation - agree the map lacks details, also cannot just enter postal code, but it's interesting how the navi system can still track even when the car is in a building.
digging up an old thread..

just to confirm, postal code input is not possible for the older idrive (dunno which gen it is)?

tot i read from some online manual from some other place that u can input postal code if you follow some format but seems to not work for "singapore dvd"?

anyone got an idea? :thinking:

Has anyone managed to get Internet working on their iDrive? I have a e92 LCI and while all the other bluetooth functions work with my iPhone 4S, I just can't get the Internet working. Under BMW Services->Internet, it just keeps saying Starting Internet. I have already enabled data transfer via bluetooth on iDrive.

u need to enable personal hotspot

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclub777

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups