If accident happens in Malaysia

Bandu W

I am new. Searched but couldn't find the answer, so making a new thread.

I hope this will never happen, but what is the procedure if we (Singapore car) meet with an accident in Malaysia? Do we have to wait for Police to come? Or, should we move the car, and make a police report?

Someone with experience please help answering?

I have driven to Desaru with my three months old car, and going again to Port Dickson in two weeks. Although I really enjoy driving to Malaysia, just worried about accidents.

Thank you
Bandu W

Re: If accident happens in Malaysia

hi bro tat's depends on wat kind of accident. if u need to claim from the other party insurance or make third party claim, u need to make police report. if u knock down ppl den definitely need to make police report. but be careful if someone knock u from behind n want u to get down the car... they might want to rob u...
Cheers!.... correct me if i'm wrong. thks!

:oooops: never thought of that. Thanks!

So the requirement of a police report is pretty much dependent on the insurer. Law in Malaysia doesn't require me going to police station (or calling police) unless there is an injury involved (or a padestrian/cyclist involved).

Last edited by a moderator:

hondacivic;569651 said:
be careful if someone knock u from behind n want u to get down the car... they might want to rob u...

heard quite a few horror stories ... better be careful and be conscious of what's happening around you.

hondacivic;569651 said:
but be careful if someone knock u from behind n want u to get down the car... they might want to rob u...
Cheers!.... correct me if i'm wrong. thks!

That is true. Usually it's a small knock just to get your attention. So when it's a car full of guys, you can't stop for them. Try to avoid it by noticing if someone strange is following you. Go to a highly populated and brightly lit place if necessary.

Bandu, it's best to seek advice from your insurer. I'm not sure how Singapore does things but in Malaysia you definately do not want to wait for the police to help you.

What I do is that I'll have to take some pictures of the accident before moving the car. Call the insurer to see if I can move the car or not. Also any other advice. If they say yes, then I'll move it to a safer place. Get the details of person involved in the accident. Thats name, contact #, car #, insurance, etc... Finally report to the police.

Hope this helps.

Bandu W;569890 said:
:oooops: never thought of that. Thanks!

So the requirement of a police report is pretty much dependent on the insurer. Law in Malaysia doesn't require me going to police station (or calling police) unless there is an injury involved (or a padestrian/cyclist involved).

bro,

Try to go with a group of cars, called your friends, relatives to join, safer this way. Driving alone in a branded car with 'Singapore plate" is much higher risk, especially when you are parked for food, gas, toilets etc.

Go places that are full of Singapore cars, then no so bad, ex..common rest area along NS but elsewhere, depends on your luck.

Like to share an unpleasant experience with fellow bros here....

Drove my 3-mth old car to Malacca last Dec with my family and another Malaysian fren with his family. Everything went well till the 3rd day when we were in the town of Malacca. As I was not familar with the routes, I followed fren's car. On this particular junction, I didn't manage to turn left into another road as he had. So I had to wait for the light. As always, when the light turned in my favor, I checked my mirror and blind spot and start to turn left. Then a motorcyclist shot past me and then got flung forward. I was shocked, and my first time involved with a motorcyclist. He looked angry and he has a group of 2-3 other biker frens, who r ni their teens, also came forward and looked menacing. I called my fren who came over from his car and tried to calm things down. He talked to them in Malay and they had blamed me for turning and not giving signal to turn causing the accident. He can stand up, walked and apart from some scratches and torn clothing which may already been torn before that, he seem fine.

Out of the sudden, there was quite a crowd who gathered around us. Most were Chinese with a couple of local Malays. Apparently the Chinese were arguing that the motorcyclist was at fault and should not demand compensation, contrary to the Malays.

To cut the story short, they demand an amt which we refused, they threaten to go the police, which we are agreeable. After a long discussion they settled for less and to us they were not keen to go to police as they probably ride without licence. The local Chinese said there r well know biker gangs who take drugs n go ard staging such acts and demand compensation.

Hope this will help those who are preparing to drive up and keep your guard up.

Cheers

Ory Ganli, Steven: Thanks a lot for your advices!

BeemBeem: thanks for sharing the story. I am too very worried about this kind of things, and always trying to avoid going into towns. I don't speak Malay or Chinese, so, could have been in real trouble in a situation like you faced!!!

I once got into a major accident on the NE highway... The car was towed back to Singapore for inspection by the insurance company's workshop. I dunno is it coincidental or staged, but a guy from a workshop appeared 5 mins after my car got into accident. He quoted $30K RM for repair and $3K RM for tow charges back to SG.

Back then i just paid the $3K cos that time in shock and trama.... After which I found out $3K is too high.

Hope nothing happens to you. Good luck and have fun.

you lucky in malacca town area,more chinese than malays.if accident in malay village where all malays,you better dont get down and speed to police station first.

beembeem;570062 said:
Like to share an unpleasant experience with fellow bros here....

Drove my 3-mth old car to Malacca last Dec with my family and another Malaysian fren with his family. Everything went well till the 3rd day when we were in the town of Malacca. As I was not familar with the routes, I followed fren's car. On this particular junction, I didn't manage to turn left into another road as he had. So I had to wait for the light. As always, when the light turned in my favor, I checked my mirror and blind spot and start to turn left. Then a motorcyclist shot past me and then got flung forward. I was shocked, and my first time involved with a motorcyclist. He looked angry and he has a group of 2-3 other biker frens, who r ni their teens, also came forward and looked menacing. I called my fren who came over from his car and tried to calm things down. He talked to them in Malay and they had blamed me for turning and not giving signal to turn causing the accident. He can stand up, walked and apart from some scratches and torn clothing which may already been torn before that, he seem fine.

Out of the sudden, there was quite a crowd who gathered around us. Most were Chinese with a couple of local Malays. Apparently the Chinese were arguing that the motorcyclist was at fault and should not demand compensation, contrary to the Malays.

To cut the story short, they demand an amt which we refused, they threaten to go the police, which we are agreeable. After a long discussion they settled for less and to us they were not keen to go to police as they probably ride without licence. The local Chinese said there r well know biker gangs who take drugs n go ard staging such acts and demand compensation.

Hope this will help those who are preparing to drive up and keep your guard up.

Cheers

Darth Vader;570465 said:
you lucky in malacca town area,more chinese than malays.if accident in malay village where all malays,you better dont get down and speed to police station first.

+1..... must be aware of the surroundings and situation.

etan1;570468 said:
+1..... must be aware of the surroundings and situation.

At that time I was in quite a confused situation. Luckily I've a fren who could conversed in Malay and the Chinese locals who act as go-between. As a matter of fact, I was suspicious of the Chinese locals who were talking to the Malays and the bikers in their local language. They even volunteered to follow me to a local Chinese-owned bike repair shop to assess the damage to the bike, recommended by one of the Chinese chaps. Took a risk and had one of them hopped onto my car and guide me to it. After waiting for more than an hr, the bikers finally appeared. We had thought they decided to give up or wait for more of their fren to come help them. They eventually settled on RM$150 coz the owner said bike not badly damaged n need not change exhaust, handles, etc as demanded by them.

Was really glad it was settled. We immediately left Malacca and paid attention to whoever appears to be following us and back to Muar where we put up.

These things are really scary. :shock: On the other hand, we can't have fun in life without taking risks. I guess there is no book-method to handle each situation but have to take it as it appears best at that moment. I look at it this way - hearing these experiences is good to be prepared for the unexpected.

If the amount of such travel we do is low, chance of something ugly happening is less, anyway.

If we don't encounter about these possible dangers/traps, I must say driving in Malaysia, especially their long highways and winding roads are very refreshing and exciting to SG drivers, test our reflexes and endurance. Kinda reminds me of driving in the States where I go up mountains on those winding and narrow roads and their long never ending freeways. Something we would never can do in SG

beembeem;570782 said:
If we don't encounter about these possible dangers/traps, I must say driving in Malaysia, especially their long highways and winding roads are very refreshing and exciting to SG drivers, test our reflexes and endurance. Kinda reminds me of driving in the States where I go up mountains on those winding and narrow roads and their long never ending freeways. Something we would never can do in SG

then i would reccomend you to drive up to cameron highlands, you would love the drive up. just be careful and know your limits. be alert always and if accidents or break downs really do happen (touchwood), the tow back will be around $600 to a $1000 SGD depends on your location.

I had always thought cars under PML warranty enjoy free towing service in Peninsular Malaysia?

That was my understanding too (as part of BMW assist). According to my insurance company (MSIG), they will arrange a towing truck.

Also, PML is a Sime Darby company, which is fundametally Malaysian owned. I am sure they have arrangements to handle things in Malaysia better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tk88betcomvn
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back