im new.. question abt 320i (2nd hand)

pike_account

hi,
im a newbie here!!

i love to get a 2nd hand 320i series soon. currently im drive integra type r 2006 model maybe wana trade in for a 320i. any people wana buy my ride, welcome to discuss too (COE $12600, black colour, OMV $35K , 1owner, mileage 40K) owner 3rd car.

As im new, i know nothing about BMW 320i cars, can please someone honest & kind enough tel me on any usual technical problems facing for 320i for year 2006 or 2007 model??

especially on the > engine / gearbox ..
i heard the gearbox is not durable compair to other country makes and it's costly to repair too. im worry may get a problematic ones.. so i hope to get more info , before i buy.. please help. many thanks..:singsing:

happy new year everyone!

regards
mr pike liu

Re: im new.. question abt 320i (2nd hand)

Integra to BMW 320? U sure u wanna do that? Keke

+1 .... integra to slow poke car ? it will dissapoint you
320/325 face similar problems such as ignition coil kaput, gearbox jerk, valvetronic motor up lorry, etc
if budget permit, go for a used 325

Last edited by a moderator:

yap,

its a nice ride from vtec 220HP power the most important is very low maintenance car everytime spend abt less than $100 servicing every 5K.
So now is the time to move on thought of getting a comfortable 4door car...

is it true the gearbox always problematic that require to repair or change offen? how about other parts??

regards..
pike

Bro,

if u r planning to get a 320i 2nd hand then it is worth to get the warranty from Khang auto...they will inspect ur car...carry out the repairs if any which you have to pay for and on top of the warranty premium...u can opt for either 1 year/25,00km for SGD 500 or 2 years/50,000km for SGD 1000.....where the warranty will ensure all parts will be replaced and repaired by Khang auto....gives u a piece of mind....but i also hear from members that the claim is a bit time consuming....but some claim otherwise....just my suggestion...for you to consider.....end of the day you have to decide,,,,
Warrantysg | Kar Engineering

hope it helps......

Hi the BMW 320i has been thorugh several generations and evolutions....i assume u are getting a second hand e90. This is a 4 potter and is an entry level car in BMWs stable. For the 4 potters, the 320i is made in south africa and build quality is compromised.

BMW is famous for its creamy smooth inline six so I suggest u get a 2.5L inline six which are all built and assembeled in germany. Its ths same chassis but the power and delivery will be a defiite improvement and the ride will be smoother.

The e90 320i lacks the power and pick-up of your current Vtech engine. However its strong point is its 50 50 weight distribution (the battery is located in the back) and it is also a rear wheel drive car. So handling is far superior to a front wheeler, especially when u hit higher speeds above 150kph. The e90's body is also heavier and the steering is also heavy and whilst this may sound like disadvantages, it also gives the car more holding and control at higher speeds.

Its not all about raw power. Sticking a high capacity high torque engine into a light front wheel drive jap car amounts to almost gross negligence on the part of car makers. They wana save $$$ on the drive shaft and its cheaper to build a front wheel drive car... I have driven a jap front wheeler on ns highway above 160kph and the car feels like its almost floating...the steering is also so light that at those speeds i cant "sense" the road....

These are some differences that you wont notice on a regular test drive......finally all BMs are built to focus on the driving experience. You will note for instance that the dashboard seems quite spartan and is not like a "christmas tree" like in a IS250...everything is located within easy sensible reach of the driver...and on the steering wheel...but there are lots of hidden safety features like "hill assist" and OBCs that track all the crucial aspects of the vehicle like engine oil, coolant, brakes, battery, etc...

Hope that helps

Nightwind;613413 said:
Hi the BMW 320i has been thorugh several generations and evolutions....i assume u are getting a second hand e90. This is a 4 potter and is an entry level car in BMWs stable. For the 4 potters, the 320i is made in south africa and build quality is compromised.

BMW is famous for its creamy smooth inline six so I suggest u get a 2.5L inline six which are all built and assembeled in germany. Its ths same chassis but the power and delivery will be a defiite improvement and the ride will be smoother.

The e90 320i lacks the power and pick-up of your current Vtech engine. However its strong point is its 50 50 weight distribution (the battery is located in the back) and it is also a rear wheel drive car. So handling is far superior to a front wheeler, especially when u hit higher speeds above 150kph. The e90's body is also heavier and the steering is also heavy and whilst this may sound like disadvantages, it also gives the car more holding and control at higher speeds.

Its not all about raw power. Sticking a high capacity high torque engine into a light front wheel drive jap car amounts to almost gross negligence on the part of car makers. They wana save $$$ on the drive shaft and its cheaper to build a front wheel drive car... I have driven a jap front wheeler on ns highway above 160kph and the car feels like its almost floating...the steering is also so light that at those speeds i cant "sense" the road....

These are some differences that you wont notice on a regular test drive......finally all BMs are built to focus on the driving experience. You will note for instance that the dashboard seems quite spartan and is not like a "christmas tree" like in a IS250...everything is located within easy sensible reach of the driver...and on the steering wheel...but there are lots of hidden safety features like "hill assist" and OBCs that track all the crucial aspects of the vehicle like engine oil, coolant, brakes, battery, etc...

Hope that helps
Other than E90 318, all other E90 is from Rosslyn since E46. Why only 318? Because Sg unique loh.

E90 dashboard does not represent the typical BMW dashboard. Typical BMW dashboard are those found on E46, E39 & F10.

In term of safety, my fren crash E46. At moment of impact, beside airbag pops out, 4 doors are unlocked & hazard lite is switched on.

TS, u should seriously look @ 325. It has similar pwr as Intergra R. IMHO, E90 320 is underpwr.

thank you all your info,

as i like to design as its the 1st time i owning one. i use only as a transport only, so power to me is no important.

is there any technical things to take note for 2nd hand 05/06 320i model
can u guys help me provide me honest & helpful info so when im on testing i can check on..

1. when starting up any warning lights need take note of ?

2. can i know what is DCT stand for?

any other related issue like gear box or others?

very appreciate..
thank you!!

DCT = dual clutch transmission.
higher end bimmer like 335 or M got DCT

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy8584

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups