• Classifieds Rules

For Sellers - Item Listing Requirements:
    1. List your price. *
    2. Show/attach images/photos of item. *
    3. Provide clear contact instructions (List phone number, email or PM).

*Required.

4. Private Sales Only.
    5. Relevant items only.
    6. No Indirect Advertising / Promoting Of Other Services and Companies
    7. Only members with 20 posts and more can start new threads
    8. No Thread Hijacking. Start your own Topic.
    9. Post only 1 Topic per sale. No cross-posting in other forums. No bumping of Topics more than once a day.
    10. Close your Topic after sale has been completed. (Click 'Administrative' on top of your thread for closing options)

We will remove threads if they do not list the above requirements.

For Buyers:
    1. Caveat Emptor - Before buying from user, do your homework. Check out the person's posting history, number of posts etc.
    2. This is a service we provide free and for the members convenience - we're not responsible for any deals gone bad.

For everyone else:
    1. No OT. They will be deleted. If you continue despite us warning you, we will ban you from the classifieds completely.
    2. Report all suspicious sellers. If you've seen or come across them from other boards/forums - do report them immediately - it will help everyone here a great deal.

Report all bad experiences (for both sellers/buyers) on the Buyer/Sellers forum.

Imported M3

playerbanker

Anyone have ideals driving a imported M3 or 335i with new COE worth it.

Wat are the pros n cons of M3

Cheers

Re: Imported M3

japkid;680020 said:
U referring to used imported?
Registered before in other country?

Yes used imported & reg before in other states.
Isit more worth n cheaper?

If the car is a DCT 08 or earlier, ensure that the DCT software is up to date.

Non updated 08 DCTs has a DCT lag issue. This is fairly obvious as you slow down to 2nd gear speed and getting back on throttle, the DCT unit seems to hesitate/delay shifting from 3rd to 2nd. This delay means no power is available regardless how much throttle input there is. This can be dangerous when turning at a junction if there are oncoming traffic.

Problem is further worsen as you give it 100% throttle, as DCT finally downshifts to 2nd, there will be a sudden surge of power.

The DCT lag issue can be easily resolve by updating the DCT to the latest software. I can't recall the version number but since it is imported, I am not entirely sure if anyone in Singapore is able or willing to update the firmware.

The idle valve is also prone to failing. This is noticeable when your dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree. I am not entirely sure which year model is affected. I seem to have read somewhere that 08 or earlier is common but don't take my word for it. Having said that, my E92 is 08 and I have not had such an issue.

Another thing to take note if the car does come with aftermarket mufflers, ensure that the connecting pipes near the vicinity of the differentials have some form of heat shield. This is not a flaw from BMW but rather an area you do want to look at when buying modified E9X M3s. This applies to all E9X M3.

The imported M3s look really attractive in terms of pricing (compared to AD); 250k for one (M3 cab) that comes with a 10 year COE? However, I ain't sure how much the depreciation will amount to though? Any bros can shed light on that?

Software update isn't an issue, prominent workshops like Boss, BVO, J4C can definitely do an update.

Like AC mentioned, the only problem with an import used vehicle (applies to all makes and models) is that we do not know the history of the vehicle prior to its entry into Singapore. However with that being said, depending on the flexibility of the seller, you may also bring it to either a workshop or STA/Vicom to get it checked out.

As for the depreciation, well its kinda hard to put a figure on it. Some say $24k/year whereas some will say $26k/year. Bottom line is that it should not exceed the depre of either a brand new agent (Munich/PML) vehicle or a PI. Reason being, in a way trade off for not knowing the exact details of the history prior to its entry into Singapore. BUT yet again sometimes when buying a local car we may not also know the exact history of it as well.

So, I guess a look at price + condition = reasonable offer?

Thanks for the clarifications bro! Sounds pretty reasonable to me at the price point. Any bros can share the possible downsides of getting a 2 to 3 year old M3? Seems to me bimmers ain't that durable, with parts often falling off after the stipulated 3 year warranty period (I had several issues with my e90 in my first year!). Would the maintenance costs be high with the M3 family then? Thanks! (Apologies to the TS for gatecrashing your thread!)

My car is close to 2 years old now, no major issues worth mentioning about. The only problem I had then was not a manufacturing or wear and tear issue.
I guess with regular maintenance the car should run fine.

I remember back in the E46 era, the M3s and possibly 330s were built in Germany and they were the more "durable" models as compared to some that were made in South Africa if I remember correctly. I cannot say for sure that the current M3 is a more durable car compared to your E90 but chances are that it is possibly.

Downsides to getting a 2-3 year old M3? You would be comparing to getting brand new or?

rex7_vtec;681101 said:
My car is close to 2 years old now, no major issues worth mentioning about. The only problem I had then was not a manufacturing or wear and tear issue.

I remember back in the E46 era, the M3s and possibly 330s were built in Germany and they were the more "durable" models as compared to some that were made in South Africa if I remember correctly. I cannot say for sure that the current M3 is a more durable car compared to your E90 but chances are that it is possibly.

Downsides to getting a 2-3 year old M3? You would be comparing to getting brand new or?

Hi! care to clarify more, u mean those less then 2 years & current models are made in south africa ?

playerbanker;681121 said:
Hi! care to clarify more, u mean those less then 2 years & current models are made in south africa ?

Oops I was referring to the E46s whereby the E46 M3s and possibly the 330s then were made in germany and the rest of the models assembled in South Africa.

So far to my personal knowledge all Ms are made in Germany in the M factory :thumbsup:

rex7_vtec;681101 said:

Thanks for the sharing bro. Yes I was referring to the downsides compared to getting a new M from the folks at Munich. The price differential is pretty significant if I were to compare the two (import old vs AD new), even if they ain't exactly an apple to apple comparison.

rex7_vtec;681126 said:
Oops I was referring to the E46s whereby the E46 M3s and possibly the 330s then were made in germany and the rest of the models assembled in South Africa.

So far to my personal knowledge all Ms are made in Germany in the M factory :thumbsup:

yup, as far as i know, M is produced in Germany....the more common lines are produced in countries such as South Africa and even US for some of the overseas domestic markets

rex7_vtec;681204 said:
If you are comparing solely between AD and 2-3 year old used then I suppose budget is not the issue here? If that's the case go for a new car at Munich.
I'm still obsessed with new car smell hahaha

No fear! Use this on even the oldest COE car you can find such as iscoupe's former stained filled and dried semen smell car....

MW;681212 said:
No fear! Use this on even the oldest COE car you can find such as iscoupe's former stained filled and dried semen smell car....

Hey MW, where can I get this bottle ? Is it a real one ?

Just visit to Teban Garden, to check or give them a call to find out the truth

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
f8bettgreen
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back