improving the sound

I had a good experience with Tye electronics too! The tuning there is one of the best I have seen, and not just in Singapore... however, with regards to your question on getting better sound, you need to change the headunit. The stock unit's DA converter is utter crap and the signal clarity also belongs in the drain... for slightly less than a $1k for a good headunit, you will hear a world of difference even if you dun get amps at this point in time.

i went to a audio shop, founded by a couple of young peope (relative to most audio shops) who have varying experiences in the sound industry. It was suggested that i can choose two options, as i do not wish to change or tap the headunit :

a. With amp, no subwoofer

- use a converter
- install a pre-amp (which require a space in the golve box, which i can then adjust the bass, treble etc)
- change the speakers to mohawk (5.5 front, i think 6.5 back)
- add a 4 channel amp
- COSTS about $800

b. With subwoofer

everythign the same, add a 6 inch subwoofer, about the block size of a 15" computer monitor, and chuck in at the boot. For this, i have to add a 2 channel amp just for the subwoofer. Costs unknown yet, prob about $1200.

I m still pondering, and therefore seekin some advice here. I m not into heavy bass. I was told for option (a), there may be still no bass, therefore the shop recommend (b). BUT when i check with another shop, they say no need subwoofer...the amp is good enough.

so...who is more correct ?

Hi bro.

Hope the shop in question here is not your personal friend... as i feel that it's a ripoff, and also definitely they do not know abt e46. They should just admit it straight off to you, instead of using u as guinea pig for their lesson on BMW install. Reasons:

1. fronts and rears are 6.5 stock. veri challengin to mod frame for 5.25 for front, even for experienced installers mainly due to space constrain. But mainly, not possible to achieve decent sound w 5.25 front, 6.5 rear, and no sub. You'll end up sounding like a taxi setup. (no kiddin, the ah pek taxi ;) )

2. you have to tap fm the original to amplify the signal anyway. no nid preamp for simple setup as desired by you.

3. change the fronts: correct. To Mohawk.... gotta be kiddin...

4. 6inch sub? won't work with our ride, as too well insulated. anyway those 6inch types are meant for in-car, underseat/centre armrest install. Sometimes used in US, as their internals are humungous. Excellent boxes needed to achieve very mild, decent bass. No value for money and trouble.

Anyway, no offence to this shop, but if u want to make your money worth, stick to the reco shops previously recommended so far, at least u are getting gd value for ur money, imho. most important, ur install will be trouble free (i.e. won't affect the rest of ur elect in your ride) as they are the tested n proven installers for our ride.

Not my personal fren, but fren's fren..but i dont take offence as its an objective issue.

I've read your posts and learnt quite a bit, but being a novice, and not technically inclined, and with not a lot of budget, i m still a little uncertain. Basically, i m not keen on having a subwoofer, yet at the same time i wud like some bass. I wonder if jus changing the front and rear speakers, plus adding an amp wud help.

Any particular brands that u reco ?

Hi. glad u take it objectively :)
anyway some basic reco :
front: rainbow 6.5" (can't remember the model nor the website links nor price (sori)
alpine dlc176a prob arnd 400+ (http://www.alpine.co.jp/)
rears: mbquart 6.5"ref (rce216) co-ax series arnd 250+.
amp: alpine540 arnd 700+ (other brands w 4 channel approx 50Wrms/channel shud be ok too) but shud hv a built in crossover.
active sub: pioneer TS-WX205 (http://www.pioneer.com.sg/products/ca_subwoofers/ts_wx205.asp)
doesn't look good, but sound great for value. prob approx 600+ (i think).
all in all, your install probably comes to less than 2k (plus additional cables, interconnects, convertors, installations)! but with gd tuning, u're gonna S-M-I-L-E each time u turn it on! (above config allows gd room for tuning).

anyway, above prices are just REAL ROUGH estimates. dun kill me if i'm way off, but shudn be...

hope the above helps.

so there's no need for converter, pre-amp kinda stuff ? I don't really want a sub, will there no bass or will bass be much improved with a new amp and speakers ?

Hi. without the subs should be ok, as long as u willing to sacrifice the depth of the sound. the one i reco is pretty small, and judging fm my estimate of ur taste, i think i know what u want. the sub is pretty small, not overbearing, and definitely sufficient to provide the depth that will be missing fm 6.5" x4 with amps, no matter how loud you play. It's not the volume, it's just the depth. (maybe just imagine a band you like playing, but the low toms, bass drums & bassist are standing, say .... 15 to 20meters behind the rest of the band... that's as close as i can think of to describe 'depth') If that is good enuf for you, then forget abt the sub. else, it's prob only less than 30% of the total cost, you get 60% more performance for your setup... think abt that.
as for convertor : yes, needed.
as for preamp : no need (to keep it simple)
if u wanna spend on a preamp, might as well get a 'ghost' headunit (with all the needed DSP functions like equalizer, time alignment settings) and you can really get SWEET sound. Prob that'll set you back another 1K.
If u are keen on this then i'll describe more, cos pretty long story, but basically great improvement to you current source sound, and STILL CAN USE YOUR STEERING CONTROLS COMPLETELY.
sori if i threw too much decision making for you, but if i were you, i'd go with roughly my reco below for your taste 8)

Hi All,

just want to hear some comments. No offence to anyone.

Called Tye electronics up after reading the good reviews and was attended to by this person who sounded really snobbish.

Throughout the whole conversation, he sounded as if he was more keen to PUSH me his SYSTEM then to listen to what I have leftover from my previous car before recommending me a solution.

Was very put off...anyway, I just want to clarify a few points which he mentioned that really raised the alarm for me.

1. Pioneer DSP DEQ-7600 CANNOT be used in my car at all.
2. It costs me 250 for installation, 190 for amp board, 140 for woofer board etc.

Really baffled by this experience..any comments?

Thanks Rich. I think i've got a good picture now, altho i may ask a couple more questions.

I understand now how a subwoofer adds depth (which was very well described), not just the bassy effect. Qn : there is something called active sub-woofer, with built in amp...am i right to say that i wud therefore no need to have a 2nd amp for the woofer, and i jus need a 4 chan one for the speakers ?

I also understand that the quality of the sound depends on how discerning one's ears are...i think i m the kind who may not be able to tell the difference clearly.... So i will go for a mid-range kind of pdts, and not the high end ones.

Thanks alot dude...

Hi e46sg,

Who did you speak too? I spoke to the manager Tony the other day. he wasn't too pushy in trying to sell me his products and even gave me a quote on how much installation would cost if I brought my own setup. PM me if you want a braek down. I'm not too sure if they would like me posting their quotations online.

Cheers
Jason

Hi Oneheadlight.

glad u appreciate the info ;) anyway, the setup reco here are actuali ... i'd grade them as mid-range, not too cheaper (unbefitting our ride ;) ) nor too hi-end, since i understand u prob not crazy abt spending too much on your car, which is reasonable, considering the fact we only ply max arnd 2~3hrs/journey if we drive up north.

the sub recommended here is active, (built-in amp). it is just good to give the slight depth missing fm most stock setups. but dun expect your windows/mirrors to v~i~b~r~a~t~e~ with each pounding... for ur convenience, this little thingy should sound just good (but it gotta be properly tuned). In fact this is so far the best thing that came out fm Pioneer for their active subs. Only setback is: rather ugly and old fashion, but being in the boot, who cares... rite?

feel free to drop ur questions. we are all here to learn.

hi e46sg.

you must have spoken to Albert... THE MAN WITH THE EAR. He is like dat, he wants to do his own thing, and we mustn't dictate anything, so bringing our old stuff in for him is the last thing he likes... cos he wants to make sure that what goes our fm his shop is GOOD stuff... so he seldom wants to take in using ur stuf as he isn't sure the condition etc.

He's got his reason, and his character is like dat, but his TUNING is RIGHT UP THERE. and he is not cheap. so if i were to go to Tye, i'd rather sell my old stuf, keep the money, go to Tye and leave it to Albert. Then u'll have a real satisfying deal instead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ko66london
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back