Intermittent light failure

namrepus

Hiaz.... More problem for my E60 again...

There is this intermittent warning keep coming up this few days,

1. Rear Right Fog Light,
2. Rear Right Brake light,
3. Rear Right signal light,

Those mentioned light failure occurs intermittently and sometime all appear same time, sometime 1 or 2 of the above.
I'm quite sure non of the above light bulb have blown because it does light up at times.
I open up the cover at the boot to access the connector to the rear lights to check...seems ok leh...

Getting many mini heart attack :wtf:daily when the warning come up during drive...

Any bro or sis have any experience on this?

Thank you in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Intermittent light failure

hi namrepus,

its a common prob for the E60.
the female connecter, usually 1 of the pins have burnt thru the plastic casing which in turns start to melt the male pins on the tailight. some of the cases we have done have only half a pin left on the taillight. hence, the intermittent connection and error.
will share with u guys some of the pics we have taken shortly cos still busy with some customers' cars right now.
can be rectified with some taping if the burnt portion are not too terribly damaged

Last edited by a moderator:

Happened on my Merc E class. Intermittent warning for light failure. Went to C&C but they could not fix it. Finally a road side mechanic(at Esso station Bukit Timah) traced it to insulation coming off the headlight wiring harness exposing the wires. He black taped it and solved the fault.

Went back to C&C to buy new wiring harness for headlights. They refused to sell it to me. Insisted on making me buy the whole headlight assembly for $2000+, just to get the wiring assembly!

Hence, the black tape is still there, 3 years later....still no faults....

hi namerepus,

u need to plug it the no.5 connector socket to whatever's left of that 1/2 pin followed by the full socket, or else u will still face intermittent error when u go over potholes n humps. after that get someone to start the car and on lights, monitor the idrive while u work on the taillight. with the sockets all plugged in, used wider tape to tape n secure the socket as tight as possible to the taillight internal panel.

sszone;1033333 said:
hi namerepus,

u need to plug it the no.5 connector socket to whatever's left of that 1/2 pin followed by the full socket, or else u will still face intermittent error when u go over potholes n humps. after that get someone to start the car and on lights, monitor the idrive while u work on the taillight. with the sockets all plugged in, used wider tape to tape n secure the socket as tight as possible to the taillight internal panel.

Thanks for tips!! I'll try to secure it better and also check the other side during this weekend.
Since the plastic connector can be "melted/burnt" to this state, the 3m electrical tape is probably weaker.
The permanent solution will be to replace the taillight internal panel and the socket connector?
If yes, probably can PM the cost?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rosenbergwellnesscenter
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back