iPhone Users - Would you buy this?

pengful

Have been thinking if it is worth the money buying the Tom Tom GPS Car Kit for your iPhones. Pic below.

GPS car kit (incl GPS module on the suction cup): USD 120 excl shipping
App (Tom Tom M'sia & SIN Map): SGD 59.99
App (Tom Tom car kit tool): Free

Should I?

Re: iPhone Users - Would you buy this?

what for when I can get a cheaper standalone that works better...

cant comment on the iphone app above but i was just using a tom tom standalone unit in my dad's car down here in sydney and i was quite impressed. much better than my garmin (integrated into kenwood headunit) back in singapore.

standalone gps is better...it will sap ur battery life.

i will rather buy a spare battery unit....eg like morphie juice.

pilotsnoopy;504451 said:
what for when I can get a cheaper standalone that works better...

One consideration will be lesser gadgets to carry around.

kuvesh;504455 said:
cant comment on the iphone app above but i was just using a tom tom standalone unit in my dad's car down here in sydney and i was quite impressed. much better than my garmin (integrated into kenwood headunit) back in singapore.

Yes heard from a colleague that Tom Tom is really not bad. She used it in the UK and was quite impressed. Don't know how well it integrates with the iPhone yet.

como;504456 said:
standalone gps is better...it will sap ur battery life.

i will rather buy a spare battery unit....eg like morphie juice.

Like all GPS units, the power cord is permanently connected to the car kit. See pic.

...incoming calls could be disruptive...no..?

pengful;504457 said:
One consideration will be lesser gadgets to carry around.

if you gonna have to carry the tom tom iphone kit round...then defeats e purpose...

Last edited by a moderator:

pilotsnoopy;504509 said:
if you gonna have to carry the tom tom iphone kit round...then defeats e purpose...

No what I meant was I don't want to own an iPhone (which has this functionality) and another GPS device.

I will not carry the Tom Tom car kit around. It should be in the car if I so decide to buy it.

pengful;504568 said:
No what I meant was I don't want to own an iPhone (which has this functionality) and another GPS device.

I will not carry the Tom Tom car kit around. It should be in the car if I so decide to buy it.

i mean for the amount of money you are paying...i rather get a tom tom / garmin standalone...

if you gonna leave the tom tom car kit in the car...the standalone can just be attached to it no?

only advantage of the tom tom app is perhaps the downloaded map which doesnt require data download when you are travelling...but then again you are buying only certain maps which cost you 50bucks and probably more when you want to update akin to BMW's iDrive maps expensive and way outdated?.......whereas MalSin Malfree are frequently updated and free...

and.........GPS chipsets usually the sirf III now saps battery so fast.........and we all know battery life on an iphone is not its strength...

Hi Pengful,
just thought I share this with you.. from the pic.. looks like the device sticks on the windscreen of the car.. if you have a sun shield, then my advise is not to do that.. I just learnt the hard way.. if you stick those suction thing to your windscreen.. just a few weeks.. it will leave a PERMANENT round mark on your sun shield.. and when you remove the suction thingy.. you will have to get the sun shield removed and re-done again.. Not sure which model you drive.. but you can check this out..

KUDA mount and holder BMW - 3 (E90/E91/E92/93) (since 2006)

aerobic;505485 said:
Hi Pengful,
just thought I share this with you.. from the pic.. looks like the device sticks on the windscreen of the car.. if you have a sun shield, then my advise is not to do that.. I just learnt the hard way.. if you stick those suction thing to your windscreen.. just a few weeks.. it will leave a PERMANENT round mark on your sun shield.. and when you remove the suction thingy.. you will have to get the sun shield removed and re-done again.. Not sure which model you drive.. but you can check this out..

KUDA mount and holder BMW - 3 (E90/E91/E92/93) (since 2006)

Actually there is another option; mount by suction over a patch pasted on the dash (portion in front of the center vent).

Looks kind of TOMTOM Kool tho...Dunno if really worth it

Pengful recommands good stuff...

I bought the Bluetooth Speakerph Jabra SP200 as per your recommandation at $98...($3 more as lazy to go all the way to SimLim) and its works perfect..with my iphone..So happy with it

Ok guys, the thing is this. The iPhone comes with an AGPS (assisted GPS) chip which means it uses both GPS (some say weak GPS signal) and data to give a location fix when using any of the navigation maps. This is automatic and tests of some of the navigation systems for iPhone in the market have shown that the AGPS chip works relatively well.

You can use the iPhone AGPS without this Tom Tom car kit and these are some other nav apps other than the Tom Tom map:
- Sygic: some say map not good
- Navigon: no SIN maps available

I may not get this car kit and will consider the Kuda mount as I am more interested to mount my iPhone in a proper position than looking up and down the center console location where I place my phone. As for the navigation, perhaps later.

Hey i want to buy this things i have been looking around for this one but i could not get can you please share the online link from where i can buy this
BMW Parts Wheels

TomTom app for iphone doesnt have postal code input for Singapore...kinda troublesome when the input of address follows a US system (City -> Street Name -> House Number). Other than this, the app works great for something that isn't a standalone gps. Lock on timing is fast and accurate, maps are detailed with a good amount of POIs.

For the mount I got something from dealextreme.com. Recommend this website to anyone looking to purchase tech stuff, prices are very reasonable and there's international free shipping. Only downside is that your order may take awhile. Can't comment on quality yet cause I haven't received it, but based on the reviews it's not bad. Also the mount is adjustable so can mount my iPhone with the cover on.

sku_1160_1.jpg

DealExtreme: $8.69 Car Portable Device/Gadget Holder and Windshield Mount

BTW, AGPS only comes with iPhone 3G and above...so iPhone 2G and below have to get the TomTom car kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ae8888tech
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back