Ipod - Denison 500 Gateway

Re: Ipod - Denison 500 Gateway

Was reading about this recently too, Pin Liang at Zion Rd does it...they have a version where it takes in USB inputs,for your portable Mp3 drives...Still undecided on it yet...

Let me share my experince abt the dension, its a good device that helps you to connect audio to your stock HU, for E60/E61 no issue its plug and play, basically in the I drive u will see instead of CDC 1-6, u will see in addition 7 ipod, 8 aux n etc.

CD 1
CD 2
CD 7 Ipod
CD 8 etc

I tried connecting for my 730E65FL but the dension that they had was not compatible, the latest dension carries the software for the E65, E90 etc. I will be fixing in a couple of week.

As for warranty u need to switch of the Dension when u send for servicingso that there will be no error reading. I think there shd be no issues with the warranty unless it is a matter that concerns the changer. No cutting of wires just re feeding the optic fibre thru the dension.

You can also connect the IPOD, USB for mass storage, Aux in. You can also add bluetooth function for Handphone, and video input for IPOD.

I will post the pics once i manage to add the dension. cheers

how much did u get it for? Pin Liang quoted 800 plus

diablo_728;229818 said:
Let me share my experince abt the dension, its a good device that helps you to connect audio to your stock HU, for E60/E61 no issue its plug and play, basically in the I drive u will see instead of CDC 1-6, u will see in addition 7 ipod, 8 aux n etc.

CD 1
CD 2
CD 7 Ipod
CD 8 etc

I tried connecting for my 730E65FL but the dension that they had was not compatible, the latest dension carries the software for the E65, E90 etc. I will be fixing in a couple of week.

As for warranty u need to switch of the Dension when u send for servicingso that there will be no error reading. I think there shd be no issues with the warranty unless it is a matter that concerns the changer. No cutting of wires just re feeding the optic fibre thru the dension.

You can also connect the IPOD, USB for mass storage, Aux in. You can also add bluetooth function for Handphone, and video input for IPOD.

I will post the pics once i manage to add the dension. cheers

Sounds promising :) Do you mind sharing with us where you installed and how much it costs? Been wanting to add an iPod adapter for sometime, but the PML one voids the CD changer, which is quite lei cheh when you want to listen to CD sometimes

pin liang, they r the authorised reseller, but the prdt is new so expect some issues, it will cost more than 1k i think abt 1.1 u need to check w them. u can wait till i finish, at this point there are some teething probs bc of unfamiliarity. btw they r the authorised reseller. the prdt alone shd be abt 880 bc it retails at usd 550 in us.

diablo_728;229906 said:
pin liang, they r the authorised reseller, but the prdt is new so expect some issues, it will cost more than 1k i think abt 1.1 u need to check w them. u can wait till i finish, at this point there are some teething probs bc of unfamiliarity. btw they r the authorised reseller. the prdt alone shd be abt 880 bc it retails at usd 550 in us.

Fantistic bro, let us know when its ready. I will be next in line for the install :) :)

hi bros any idea whether it can be fixed on the s-class which does not come with the aux?

Hiaks just went to Pin Liang, the Denison Gateway 500 doesn't work on my 523i......no title names coming out from the screen and limited to only 99 songs.....guess I will have to stick to the pml one and compromise on my cdc......:(

hi just wana check if any bros here have installed the Dension gateway 500 recently for their BMW rides?
any feedback on it?

Maybe you can try contact our forum sponser, soundwerks. They might have, they do quite a number of bmw stuff ya

I have the Dension 500 in my Cayman S. Works fine with my iPod. Allows me to scroll by album, artist and playlist directly on my PCM head unit. Sound quality is excellent. Got from Pin Liang. Price has increased to $1,100+

Sammy, what are the modules within the $1,100? Ipod... bluetooth? video input?

$1,100 is just for the Gateway 500 with installation supporting either iPod or USB thumbdrive/HDD. There is an optional Bluetooth unit called BT1500. Pin Liang doesn't carry it because they sell Parrot, but I ordered it from Ebay Germany for under S$200. Should be arriving next week. You just plug it into the Dension 500 and route the microphone. There is a video input module as well, but doesn't work on my Cayman. However, it supports various BMWs.

sammy;543529 said:
$1,100 is just for the Gateway 500 with installation supporting either iPod or USB thumbdrive/HDD. There is an optional Bluetooth unit called BT1500. Pin Liang doesn't carry it because they sell Parrot, but I ordered it from Ebay Germany for under S$200. Should be arriving next week. You just plug it into the Dension 500 and route the microphone. There is a video input module as well, but doesn't work on my Cayman. However, it supports various BMWs.

Thanks. I will visit Pin Liang and have a look. I am in email comm with Dension and asking if it could be DIY. Question is how to verify if my BMW iDrive version is compatible with the Gateway 500.

MapleLeaf;543635 said:
Thanks. I will visit Pin Liang and have a look. I am in email comm with Dension and asking if it could be DIY. Question is how to verify if my BMW iDrive version is compatible with the Gateway 500.

Its definitely possible to DIY, but the Dension instuctions are not vehicle specific and quite brief, so you'll have to surf some BMW sites to look for an install guide. Alternatively, you can take it to any installer (not sure if Pin Liang will install it if you buy online) and they can probably install it for you for $100 or so. I suppose the key issue is that the installer may never have dealt with a fiber optic MOST BUS and might not be familar with the termination loops etc. Pin Liang's guy is very familar with it and splices the connectors in seconds as if he has done a lot before. If I DIYed it (and I've installed head units before), it would probably take me some time to figure out.

As for which version to buy, as long as your BMW uses fiber optics, there is only one Gateway 500 MOST version for Porsche, Mercedes, Audi or BMW. Just make sure you don't get the non-MOST version. You change the dip switches to set it for different cars. Denison has a compatability list on their website, but there is always the chance that it won't work when you do it. In fact, when Pin Liang first installed it, it didn't work properly on my Cayman even though he had installed it on a couple of 911s. We had to downgrade the firmware to a previous version before it worked. You can't 100% be sure it will work because you are putting a US designed system on an Asian car. So you take a little bit of risk that if it doesn't work, you have to figure it out yourself. If you pay Pin Liang, you can not accept it if it doesn't work.

Lastly, how good are you at taking out BMW trim without breaking clips and scratching stuff. I'm not bad, but it took me quite a few cars before I stopped breaking clips. Do you want to risk scratching the interior.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ww88atcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back