Ipod

BZSAB

Continuing for previous forums regarding IPOD interface, has anyone out there successfully integrated an IPOD to their Beemer? I checked with PML and they told me that they are only able to connect to the stereo's AUX input where IPOD cannot be charged and there is no interface to the iDrive (cannot control via multi purpose steering wheel).

If anyone out there have a better solution, please advice. Collecting car next week and would like to get IPOD connected immediately.

Re: Ipod

iPod interface is car specific, meaning, the interface you purchase only works for the car it was purchased for.

The most complete interface today is probably those made by Dension, you cand read up at http://www.dension.com/main.htm

The product name is Icelink Plus, I have one running in my Golf MKV GTI. Works very nicely and I am able to control it with my multi-fucntion steering.

If you are collecting your car next week, I would assume it would be the new generation car with iDrive, bad news, AFAIK, none of the interface works for your new car.

To take a look at the compatibility chart, look here

http://www.dension.com/oem1.php

Another source for you to check is Dension's UK dealer .. the link is here

http://www.ghc.co.uk/acatalog/ice_Link_Plus_Car_Connectors_for_iPod.html#a39821

All else failed, the AUX in you mentioned would work but control would be directly via iPod. You could buy a Belkin car charger to charge it.

Good luck

Hi KT,
I am interested in getting one set. Care to share how you got hold of the Icelink Plus in Singapore? Did you order from UK? Who installed it for you?

Thanks.

Thanks KT for the very detailed advice. You mentioned that there is currently no interface for new beemers with iDrive. Is this statement only relevant for denison?

Based on the information provided in this website

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/index_highend.html

it clearly indicates compatibility. What's more, it also clearly mentions all the functions available.

What I am unclear about is why bmw's international website says it can be done while PML says it can't. BTW, the AUX input option quoted was S$500+. All this for a RCA cable which cost no more that S$10? If PML is "listening" in, I would sure like some clarifications.

Yes, you could order your Dension from the UK site. For me I am lucky because my buddy decided to go with HU upgrade, I took over his interface kit.

BZSAB said:
Thanks KT for the very detailed advice. You mentioned that there is currently no interface for new beemers with iDrive. Is this statement only relevant for denison?

Based on the information provided in this website

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/index_highend.html

it clearly indicates compatibility. What's more, it also clearly mentions all the functions available.

What I am unclear about is why bmw's international website says it can be done while PML says it can't. BTW, the AUX input option quoted was S$500+. All this for a RCA cable which cost no more that S$10? If PML is "listening" in, I would sure like some clarifications.

Sorry for the confusion, I do mean Dension.

Here's my 2 cents:

I installed the PML Ipod package a few weeks ago...

PRO's: It's discrete (in the glove box) and it charges up everytime you link up.
The steering wheel interface also works.

CON's: PML is expensive.
There is no playlist selection so you have to play all your songs without titles...
(I have resorted to use a IPOD with only my favourite songs and select the random button)
You must disable your CD Changer in the boot...

Net net...glad I switched.

Hi Mui Mui,

Would appreicate if you could let me know who serviced you at PML. I was told IPOD interface cannot charge and song selections cannot be made via steering wheel but can only be made via the IPOD Click wheel.

I dont mind the limitations you mentioned. Looking forward to hearing from you

The PML chap I had was a guy called Edmund Tan Tel 63190157...it definitely charges up and you can switch songs on your steering wheel....good luck

Hi Mui Mui,

Spoke to Edmund and he confirms what you have mentioned, thanks. Someone at PML ought to be shot. Anyway, he quoted me S$600+ (another inconsistency since I was quoted S$500+ last week).

KT, do you happen to know how much the Denison interface will set me back? If the price is similar but with better functionality, it will be something I am interested to check out.

It's no secret that PML aftersales services sucks, especially their parts deparment. S$500+ for the AUX input option is crazy. Was that including installation?

I got mine for S$100+ from PML, but they quoted me some rediculious price for installations and claimed the car must be "coded" afterwards - CRAP. I bought the kit and installed it myself, in 30 mins max. No coding needed.

I thought the BMW iPod would allow you to control 5 playlists (which have to be prepared and named "BMW Playlist 1, 2...etc from iTunes first)

I agree with KT, Dension is probably the most completed solution. I'll be getting mine soon.

BZSAB said:

guys regardless of the price differences the thing to note is the warranty issues... if that's not a concern, then go for the cheapest deal and DIY.

On the box of the AUX Input option, BMW has a sticker on it saying something like "Print Installation instructions for cumtomer... etc" to DIY. The service advisor and the guy from parts were very reluctant to print it for me, saying this and that... until I demand and demand.

Hi, there is a Aux connector in the new E90 3S inside the arm rest compartment... is this point you connect the Ipod?

Thanks.

BZSAB said:
KT, do you happen to know how much the Denison interface will set me back? If the price is similar but with better functionality, it will be something I am interested to check out.

Should be around S$400. But you will have to DIY the install. Also, like I said, I do not believe Dension has an interface for iDrive-ed BMW.

If you can grouped together a few purchase, the price drop very fast, this is because the shipping cost for 1 or a few is not much diff.

Use the UK link I provided above to check the prices.

BMW said:
Hi, there is a Aux connector in the new E90 3S inside the arm rest compartment... is this point you connect the Ipod?

Thanks.

Yes, this is the port for Ipod but was told you need an ipod adapter.

The "Aux Input" / connector and the "iPod Adaptor" are completely 2 different things:
- Aux Input / connector - with a small female-stereo-mini-phone jack port. You can connect pretty much any audio playback unit that has the Headphone or Line output (ie: Creative, iPod, Walkman... etc). All you need is a cable with a Male--stereo-mini-phone on both end, and select "Aux" from the head unit. This does NOT charge the battary on the player.

- iPod Adaptor - allows you to hook up to an iPod (only)directly, the head unit communicate with the iPod like a CD-Changer. It charges the battery on the iPod.

drivemax said:
Yes, this is the port for Ipod but was told you need an ipod adapter.

sorry to add in my 2 cents worth but here it goes ... i got my ipod kit installed from kampung arang quite a while ago ... somewhere in april/may i believe. they charged me $450 including installation. salesperson was anwar. after driving so many months with the kit installed .. here's the breakdown of the pros and cons I've come to realize ..

pros
-controling your ipod via the multi function steering wheel..
-a "clean" installation .. no messing wirings or ipod holders on my dash..
-ipod gets charged when i drive
-5 usable playlist + 1 playlist that plays everything on your ipod
-pml also offered me e option of placing the cabling in the glove box or the centre console compartment

cons
-5playlists, which need special names for the kit to work i.e. BMW1_rock etc ..
-no display of title names..drives me nuts hearing a song and nt knowing the name
-disabling of boot cd changer
-friends cant at random use their ipods in your bmw as their playlists wont be named right

plus its just a cable and i share this car with my sis .. we each have an ipod and we continuously remove and plug in our ipods on a near daily basis. i just hope the cable doesnt succumb to wear & tear easily!

=)
-kev

Hi,

Am new to this Community/Forum.

Aside from Dension option, check out this new version from Harmon Kardon

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000073048307/
or from their home site here

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx
retailing at US$199; and they said it will be officially avail in Asia in Jan 06(?)

Personally, I went with a Pioneer iPod option (CD-IB100) not too long ago. My under lying intent was to upgrade the sound on my X3 without losing the functionality of the original factory fitted head unit. For that, I fitted a Pioneer multi-channel processor DEQ-P7650 + AXM-P7650 control/display unit. The processor receives its feed from the speaker outputs of the original head unit. New speakers (Focal) feeds from this processor. The processor allows for additional inputs as well (eg. DVD player , digital radio unit, etc). The iPod adaptor feeds into this processor, and all controls and display are via the AXM-P7650. It charges the iPod, and turns it on/off when you start/off the car. Granted this is an expensive solution if all you're looking for is to be able to play the iPod.

.... my 2 cents worth

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back