is it PML or me?! (dent / paint job suggestion)

ex3

I got one small dent on each of the front door:

-RF door- size of a 20 cents coin dent, not deep at all, with a tiny scratch and a tiny chip
-LF door- size of a 10 cents coin dent, not deep at all, no scratch at all.

(both dents are not very noticable, but they are there and are annoying once noticed)

I dropped by PML this morning, and the SA quoted me over S$700 to fix the RF door. Even if the whole door was to be re-paint, I could not believe what I heard!

Is it PML who wants to rip off their customers? Or is it me who is being rediculiously cheap!

Any suggestions is welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

Re: is it PML or me?! (dent / paint job suggestion)

it PML ............ if the paint is not badly scratched go to a good body man and have the dings knocked out.

You should try Yew Lip or Sin Wee Chuan for their prices. Should be cheaper than PML.
For the LF door you probably can head down to PDR at the carpark opp. St Andrew's Cathedral or Lye Design to see if they can knock it out.

for your left door, you can try those paintless dent removal. all the do is to insert a cord to restore the steel back to its original condition. there are two vendors that I know:
- www.pdr.com.sg
- Lye Designs
10 Ang Mo Kio Industrial Park 2A
AMK Autopoint , #04-04

for your right door, you may want to find a good body man to fix it.

Lye Designs is good, just got all the dents remove from my car few weeks back.
A stone was shot by a grass-cutter into my right side front door which result in a big dent. Lucky the paint was intact. Brought down to lye design and its as good as new.

Think he should be able to remove the dents on ur car. If u can still live on with the chipped paint then ignore lor. I think the dent removals will probably cost less then 50bucks

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I'll get the dents remove first and see how it goes. PDR & Lyn Designs are speciallized in this?

If the tiny scratch and chipped paint on the RH door is still too annoying, I'll check out Yew Lip or Sin Wee Chuan. Any idea how much they'll charge to paint the whole door? Will they use the exact same paint / color code for the car?

Thanks.

PDR & lye Design are specialized to restore the steel (car body) back to its original form, so good for fixing those dings....

well, I never paint the whole door. I painted my whole bumper before, it costs me around 300 bucks using back the same paint. I won't recommend my usual workshop since their work can be inconsistent in term of quality. sometimes, the workshop can do a touch up (not painting the whole door) and it normally costs me less than 100 bucks.

it's like that one mah. You go hotel to eat chicken rice and you go hawker centre to eat chicken rice the difference is up to 10 times. PML is not wrong to charge any pricing they like since there is an abundance of competition. Now petrol companies on the other hand....

but i do recommend lye design. i'm very satisfied with their quality of work & pricing.

ex3 said:
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I'll get the dents remove first and see how it goes. PDR & Lyn Designs are speciallized in this?

If the tiny scratch and chipped paint on the RH door is still too annoying, I'll check out Yew Lip or Sin Wee Chuan. Any idea how much they'll charge to paint the whole door? Will they use the exact same paint / color code for the car?

Thanks.

Can't advise on price, but colour coding shd not be a problem at all. They will read the code listed somewhere on your ride (in my ride, it is engine bay) and do the paint match. If the chip is not too serious, consider juz getting a touch-up pen from PML. I paid less than $20 for the pen and could live with the touch up. Not too bad at all unless u go close up. Didn't bother me coz it is juz a car.

Painting the whole door may be a cautious move by them too, esp for Metallic paints.

The "sparkles" in metallic paint may not be homogeneous throughout although the various paints are surposed to have different concentrations of the sparkles, per paint color type. Secondly, over time, even solid colored paint surfaces will lose their luster (e.g. white -> cream, black-> grey) so painting an isolated area may yield slight visual differences.

It's oxymoronic however to repaint an entire car because of a chip though!

Went to PML for a bare visible dent on my door and they told me the same thing. They need to respray the entire door and quoted hundreds of dollars. I thought it was absurd, so I went to PDR at Capitol Theatre carpark and got the dent "massaged" out entirely for S$15. Respraying should be avoided unless absolutely necessary because paint may not match exactly and will look terrible.

Thank you all again for the reply and suggestions.

After having so so so many bad experiences with PML (in just 5 months), I'm pretty much conviced that the After Sales Services at PML in general are just full of BS. I've dealt with 4-5 SAs so far, and EVERY time has turned into a disapointment.

To Racebred's comments... I'm fully prepared and willing to pay a premium price if I walk into a Hotel who provides high quality services. And in fact, I was actually ready to have the whole door repaint, and expecting to pay any where between S$300-500 even before I walked into PML yesterday. But come on, S$700+?

I really don't think I'm being unreasonable here. I've owned serveral cars before and in quite a few different countries, I've never dealt with any dealer and service center who is as bad as PML.

juz got back from pml's safety check as weel as got them to quote on dents. did not realise there were so many, including chipped paintwork. was quoted $495 after disc.

Do you mind sharing what $495 include? How many panels? Thanks

Lye design would be my choice for dings. Thot they did my car up pretty well last time.

PML is not alone in this. chop price for stuff like bodywork is no big surprise. i had a dented bumper and went to SM for quote. they wanted 800 for knocking and respraying. i took it to their authorised bodywork shop and got the thing done for 500.

Hi all,

I went to check out both Lye Design and Paintless Dent Removal:
- Lye Design was quite hard to find, and they were pretty busy; quoted me S$45; I left them my number to set up a time (but haven't heard from them after a few days).

- PDR was easy to find; inside a car park; no need to wait at all; so I got the dents on both doors removed within 15mins for S$50 (and S$1.10 parking fee :); I watched how they removed the dent and was very impressed with how simple the work was and the result was excellent. I hardly notice the dents at all.

And as for the little scratch and chipped of the paints, I went to PML to buy the touch up pen as suggested, for S$18. But the result had no surprises, and I can't say for sure if it was for better or worse.

So total cost for me was S$70, and comparing it with the massive quote from PML, I'm extremely pleased with the result, and probably live with the little scratch for now.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestion. I'm really glad to know there are other options besides PML.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ae8888tech
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back