Is your E90 steering stiff?

leealfred

Hi everyone,

Just needed some feedback, my friend just took delivery of a new E90 320i from PML last week and find the steering very stiff. Is this normal for a E90? or have we just bought a lemon? I took the car out yesterday and find it much stiffer then my E60. Also comparing with his previous E46 it is definitely stiffer. We just want to make sure if it is suppose to be like this before he bring back to PML and make noise!

Thanks a million in advance for your advice!

Cheers,
leealfred

Re: Is your E90 steering stiff?

leealfred said:
Hi everyone,

Just needed some feedback, my friend just took delivery of a new E90 320i from PML last week and find the steering very stiff. Is this normal for a E90? or have we just bought a lemon? I took the car out yesterday and find it much stiffer then my E60. Also comparing with his previous E46 it is definitely stiffer. We just want to make sure if it is suppose to be like this before he bring back to PML and make noise!

Cheers,
leealfred

when i test drove the e90, the steering does feel quite stiff too...as compared to e46, but i reckon cos its new, usually the case, havent bedded in...

Yup, don think there is any problem with the e90. I did test drive the e90 and the steering is much stiffer as compared to my e60. In fact my previous e46 steering has a heavier "feel" in comparison with my present e60.

OT, Xavier, yr ride look great after yr major "overhaul"

Turbo said:
Yup, don think there is any problem with the e90. I did test drive the e90 and the steering is much stiffer as compared to my e60. In fact my previous e46 steering has a heavier "feel" in comparison with my present e60.

OT, Xavier, yr ride look great after yr major "overhaul"

thx man...hows yr e60 coming along? do post some pics...

end of OT

Hi Hetraa & Turbo,

Thanks for the feedback! So probably theres nothing wrong with the steering then. Any idea why they make it so stiff? it feels like as though there is no power steering. My friend just told me that her arm has develop bicep in just one week of driving the E90:)

Cheers,

leealfred

leealfred said:
Hi Hetraa & Turbo,

Thanks for the feedback! So probably theres nothing wrong with the steering then. Any idea why they make it so stiff? it feels like as though there is no power steering. My friend just told me that her arm has develop bicep in just one week of driving the E90:)

Cheers,

leealfred

I ve driving my e90 for 5.5 months and upon reading yr post, I just checkedn realised I have bigger biceps/triceps as well now :) . Maybe can introduce yr lady friend to me n we compare whos biceps are better? Thanks to BMW.:cloud9:

leealfred said:
Hi Hetraa & Turbo,

Cheers,

leealfred

Bro, paiseh i have no gd answer to that. Some will like it to be stiff or firm in this case.
I guess it's a matter of time before yr friend get used to it.

OT.... Xaiver, my ride are damm stock, it will bore you lah.

i kinda like the 'stiffness of the steering wheel' ....at higher speed think u will appreciate it more.

Thanks guys for your feedback!
I just want to make sure its not something faulty with the steering wheel.

Beng, i am afraid my lady friend not lian enough for you!:)

Cheers,
leealfred

I think part of the stiffness is also due to the steering wheel on the E90 being smaller than that of the E46 - but it's easy to get used to.

Hi all,

When I first collected the car, the steering was rather stiff as well. (Came with the stock 16" rims and run flat tires), however, I changed them on the same day to an 18" rims, and the steering was less stiff, and in my opinion, perfect for me. So, I guess that the stock rims / tires did have an effect on the stiff steering.

Really? I always thought the other way round where bigger rims and tyres causes the steering to be heavier as contacts to floor is more! Hmmm if that is true shall not hesitate to change to bigger rims & tyres.

Can anybody else here verify this?

Cheers,

leealfred

bigger rims is heavier. bigger tires more contact with the road and that will make it stiffer. However when you throw away the runflat tires and stock rims, and replace them with regular tires and light weight rims, I think that will improve handling and steering.

My e90 is about one year old. traded in my stock rim and runflat for 17" replica rim and 225/45/17 tires all round about 2 months ago. Steering takes less effort now, handling is better and body roll is reduced. Most importantly the ride comfort has improve significantly.

My experience is with 17" rim. No significant change in fuel consumption. But if you like bigger rims, expect FC to go up and ride comfort to go down. But it will certain be more shoick to look at.

leealfred said:
Hi everyone,

Cheers,
leealfred

Just go to PML to test drive another 320 and you will know whether it is normal. Cannot be all are faulty right?

como said:
i kinda like the 'stiffness of the steering wheel' ....at higher speed think u will appreciate it more.

Yeah agreed, the steering of E90 is a bit stiff initially, but it's really steady at high speeds. And after some time, I think your friend will get used to it...

Motofish said:
bigger rims is heavier. bigger tires more contact with the road and that will make it stiffer. However when you throw away the runflat tires and stock rims, and replace them with regular tires and light weight rims, I think that will improve handling and steering.

My e90 is about one year old. traded in my stock rim and runflat for 17" replica rim and 225/45/17 tires all round about 2 months ago. Steering takes less effort now, handling is better and body roll is reduced. Most importantly the ride comfort has improve significantly.

My experience is with 17" rim. No significant change in fuel consumption. But if you like bigger rims, expect FC to go up and ride comfort to go down. But it will certain be more shoick to look at.

Guys what is the weight of the 320i stock RIM and its RF tyres? Anyone has the number?

Hv u checked yr atf level? Maybe there's a leak somewhere causing insufficient atf? It might also due to the fact that u r not using the factory spec tires. Wider tires=more contact surface=more steering effort.

Hi all sifus, My E46 got this problem, when i drive on a straight road, the steering seems to free play when i turn to right or left in circular motion for 1cm ( left & right ).And it is stiff also. So it's hard for me to drive straight as i need to turn more. And secondly, when i take a normal left or right turn in a junction, the steering will not automatically swing back to normal position. I heard there is something to do with the steerig rack. Please help me if you guys got any problem like mine and fixed.

Thanks a million.

free play probably means your control arm bushing is worn out... a common problem with stock control arm bushing on the e46...

just bring it to PML or one of the workshops for a quick check...

I have been driving mine for 3 months and yes the steering is very firm. So I don't think you have a problem.

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back