juddering from new rotors and pads

Nedkelly

I just had all 4 rotors and pads replaced on my E46 and I noticed there is some juddering when I apply the brakes. Can someone tell me if this is normal?

I was told by the workshop that this is due to the pads and rotors being new and will take sometime to bed.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like there is some dirt between the hubs and the discs. Thus the disc may not be fully flat against the hub and when you apply the brakes, there is a little wobble that causes a shimmey in the steering wheel if on front or slight vibration felt on brake pedal if rear.

If you hear it as a squealing or as a juddering when slowing to a full stop then it may be different pads (some pad materials squeal naturally) . You can reduse this noise with a shim inserted on the trailing edge of the callipers. The main aim is have the trailing edge of the pads contact the discs first before the front edge.

Problem solved. Appearantly one of the rear discs which they replaced was warped!! The workshop said not sure how that is possible, as it's brand new. Anyway they replaced with another set and the problem went away :)

Sorry to hijack your thread, Nedkelly.

I've recently faced a similar problem, but only where i apply the handbrake. It squeals loudly and judders to a slow sickening stop. Sounds worse than a pontianak's fingernails slashing across a blackboard.

I'm using stock brakes and brake pads, which are over 1.5 years old. Never used to happen before. Any advice guys ?

cheers!

i have the same problem with the left rear brake, after i got the ball bearing replaced. i changed new pads and swapped the rotors (left right) and the problem went away for a while. could it be alignment? where can i get these shims? thanks so much.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8823

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back