late e39 520: a good buy?

Re: late e39 520: a good buy?

funcar62 said:
For all you e39 owners out there, can you guys share:
1. Have you done inspection II yet? at what mileage?
2. During the inspection II, were there recommendations made by PML or other workshop for major change of parts?
In reply to one of your previous posts re the service indicator, starting from the left to right, there are five green bars, one orange and one red. When it's reset after a servicing, all of them are lit, and they extinguish one by one from left to right as the miles pile on. Once all five green bars go out and the orange one appears, BMW advises you to book a service. If the orange one goes out and only the red one is left, then the car is due immediately for service.

Depending on your driving style, it could be anywhere between 15,000 to 25,000 km before cycle completes, so Inspection II can due anywhere from around 70,000 to over 100,000 km.

Having said that, if like me, your annual mileage is relatively low, you may want to book a service once a year so that filters and fluids get changed. If so, the oilservices and Inspections will come around much faster.

There's also a time-based indicator for brake fluid, which shows up as a little clock icon next to the service indicator bars.

The scope of work for the Inspection services are more or less as listed here (note that the mileage is in miles, so multiply by 1.6 times to get km equivalent):
http://www.bimmerzone.com/inspection.htm

how's the FC like for a M54 E39? what's the 5th year paper value like?

thks in adv.

I have a 2002 E39 525iT which gets about 6 to 7 km per litre in the city and around 8 to 10 km per litre on the North-South highway, depending on overall speed.

I used to have a 1996 E39 520i (150 bhp) and consumption was probably 7 km per litre in city driving and around 10 km per litre on the North-South.

Not sure about paper values but I was told that in general E39 sedans trade for paper plus S$10k or so. More for the last few 2003 Executive models which had higher specs.

foxfrc5;141821 said:
I have a 2002 E39 525iT which gets about 6 to 7 km per litre in the city and around 8 to 10 km per litre on the North-South highway, depending on overall speed.

I used to have a 1996 E39 520i (150 bhp) and consumption was probably 7 km per litre in city driving and around 10 km per litre on the North-South.

Not sure about paper values but I was told that in general E39 sedans trade for paper plus S$10k or so. More for the last few 2003 Executive models which had higher specs.

thks for the info.....$10k for body is really attractive....my S60 2.0T is looking at 3-5k:( ...pml offered 8k to get a sale from me though.

i reckon the M54B22 is under power w/ over 1.6 tonne of weight to haul....was that the reason behind yr 'engine up-size'?

No particular reason. The Touring wasn't offered with the M54B22 2.2 litre powerplant. I think the only Tourings imported by PML had the M54B25 2.5 litre powerplant.

In stock form, the non-M5 E39s aren't a ball of fire but do offer a very nice, relaxed, and creamy ride with good handling to boot. I like the shape and maintenance is straightforward. As I have said elsewhere on this forum, I think the E39 is to BMW what the W124 is to Mercedes, if you know what I mean. Timeless and hardy.

foxfrc5;142163 said:
No particular reason. The Touring wasn't offered with the M54B22 2.2 litre powerplant. I think the only Tourings imported by PML had the M54B25 2.5 litre powerplant.

In stock form, the non-M5 E39s aren't a ball of fire but do offer a very nice, relaxed, and creamy ride with good handling to boot. I like the shape and maintenance is straightforward. As I have said elsewhere on this forum, I think the E39 is to BMW what the W124 is to Mercedes, if you know what I mean. Timeless and hardy.

wat u've described about the drive very much inline w/ what i'd enjoy - out of a car that is. certainly want to have it in the search list when i need to change my ride next yr.

so, there's no M54B22 in local mkt ya? wont mind a M54B25 for added horses....though i dislike to feed the garment w/ more juices....

mclaren;142855 said:
so, there's no M54B22 in local mkt ya? wont mind a M54B25 for added horses....though i dislike to feed the garment w/ more juices....
No, most of the facelifted E39 sedans from end 2000 onwards actually have M54B22 engines i.e. they are 2.2litre 520i sedans.

I was referring to the Touring or station wagon body style. The smallest engine for the Touring was the M54B25.

foxfrc5;142905 said:
No, most of the facelifted E39 sedans from end 2000 onwards actually have M54B22 engines i.e. they are 2.2litre 520i sedans.

I was referring to the Touring or station wagon body style. The smallest engine for the Touring was the M54B25.

my bad....missed the word (touring) twice :screwedu: ....was told the M54B22 on E39 underpowered....which made the 2.2 plant on E46s a more popular choice.

i would prefer E46 styling anytime :yummie: ....but no point getting a 4-cycl when the gems of beemer r the 6-cycls. ....making the equation harder - i need space too:shoot:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
web789betvinfo
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back