Leaking Windscreen washer fluid, any with this problem

e46sg

Hi,

I have just changed the washer pump located just beside the reservoir. Not too sure if that is what you call the sensor.

I found my leaking when i constantly had to top up, then i poped the bonnet and found traces of rust on near the reservoir. Guess if its the pump leaking then there will be rust, otherwise you should be able to spot leaks if its from the reservoir.

Anyway, its simple to replace the pump, i did mine at 40 dollars for parts and changed it myself. Note that there is a filter that you need to buy for about 3 dollars.

Hope this helps.

try this

my old e30 had this problem and it was a cracked washer reservoir.

there are three possibilities for washer fluid to leak:
1. the washer fluid reservoir leaks
2. the pump leaks (the sensor is build into the pump)
3. the rubber gasket where the pump mate with the fluid reservoir leaks

you can easily trace the problem by inspecting each item amd note for sign of washer fluid (more visible if detergent or washer additive has been used).

e46sg said:
Hi,

I have just changed the washer pump located just beside the reservoir. Not too sure if that is what you call the sensor.

I found my leaking when i constantly had to top up, then i poped the bonnet and found traces of rust on near the reservoir. Guess if its the pump leaking then there will be rust, otherwise you should be able to spot leaks if its from the reservoir.

Anyway, its simple to replace the pump, i did mine at 40 dollars for parts and changed it myself. Note that there is a filter that you need to buy for about 3 dollars.

Hope this helps.

Hi, Thanks b'cos it's exactly that problem. Second pump replaced because under warranty ( last one changed not long ago ) also changed the tank - now platic of new tank is different. Talk about car problems - this afternoon saw my left kidney grill missing. So one-eyed Jack at meet-up tomorrow.

Cheers

My E46 320i washer reservoir cracked after 2 years. It appears to be due to plastic deterioration. The plastic band that links the reservoir cap to the main tank cracked first.
The pump motor was OK and can be re-used with a new reservoir.

is could be the hot weather

i think the weather here is too hot, especially if the car is parked outdoor and expose to direct sunlight.

Re: Leaking Windscreen washer fluid, any with this problem

alex: it sounds like a leak, sensor is fine as the error message is for correct as you have an empty thank. Also check on the joints, could also be there.
;)

lecabrio said:
Had to once change the 'sensor' ( forgot exact term) for the washer fluid as all the fluid leaked out. Tonight warning light came on - checked and totally dry! Don't know if it is that switch again but noted that the plastic is deteriorating - ??? heat from engine causing accelerated breakdown of plastic? Anyone else had to change washer reservoir? TIA

Cheers

yky said:
My E46 320i washer reservoir cracked after 2 years. It appears to be due to plastic deterioration. The plastic band that links the reservoir cap to the main tank cracked first.
The pump motor was OK and can be re-used with a new reservoir.

Thanks everyone. New tank made of different plastic - looks like they know that the previous plastic can't last. Got the new grills today - took less than one minute for intallation.
Cheers :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubproperty

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back