life span of auto tranny?

Ghostrider said:
For me...20,000km change ATF and see if filter is dirty....my pro active way of prolonging the life span of my box.

gee... what is your mileage now???

my take is, if the tranny is going to spoil anyway, dont touch it... our bimmers tranny need to change ATF in clean environment... this is per spec... so that foreign particles dont get in... unless you track everyday like F1 cars, changing is necessary as heat breaks down the ATF...

russo said:
ATF oils in BMWs are life long which means there is no need to replace the oils at oil, unless you choose to replace every 40k km then please do so coz no one in PML will remind you.

Cost to replace a tranny for E39 would cost 4k plus excluding labour in PML. It is not a new gearbox though, RMFD only.

Modern trannys have a span of 200k to 280k so don't worry until your gearbox light shows. :)
but even if they state that the BMW ATF is life long, there are still shelf life for the ATF right?? in time to come, the ATF inside the tranny will also break down right?? i dont think the shelf life of the BMW ATF can last 10years even though the tranny is use gently.

and for pple that change the ATF, why every 40km must change ATF again?? izzit because the box is opened already, or izzit a guide?? :thinking:

I have no idea, but it really doesn't make any sense at all that the ATF will NEVER be changed.

Which reminds me... I better get my tranny flushed these few days!

martmode8850 said:
Ghostrider said:
For me...20,000km change ATF and see if filter is dirty....my pro active way of prolonging the life span of my box.

my take is, if the tranny is going to spoil anyway, dont touch it... our bimmers tranny need to change ATF in clean environment... this is per spec... so that foreign particles dont get in... unless you track everyday like F1 cars, changing is necessary as heat breaks down the ATF...

My car now in the 160k km range...its a old ride....I dun even know if this is the orginial tranny.

Not saying that BMW says that their ATF change must be in clean room...but IMHO...its BS.

Daily driving causes heat...and heat breaks down the ATF...once the ATF thins out....certain part of the tranny will not get the lub that it need and metal to metal contact takes place. Once that happens, there will be particles floating around in your ATF....and overtime, these particles will chock those fine parts in the tranny causing a massive heart attack (thinking of it like your artery getting block by fatty tissue). Hence a change of ATF will flush out the dirty particles....replenish the characteristic to protect hence prolong the lifespan of the tranny. Make sense ??

Ghostrider said:
martmode8850 said:
Ghostrider said:

My car now in the 160k km range...its a old ride....I dun even know if this is the orginial tranny.

Not saying that BMW says that their ATF change must be in clean room...but IMHO...its BS.

Daily driving causes heat...and heat breaks down the ATF...once the ATF thins out....certain part of the tranny will not get the lub that it need and metal to metal contact takes place. Once that happens, there will be particles floating around in your ATF....and overtime, these particles will chock those fine parts in the tranny causing a massive heart attack (thinking of it like your artery getting block by fatty tissue). Hence a change of ATF will flush out the dirty particles....replenish the characteristic to protect hence prolong the lifespan of the tranny. Make sense ??
yup, it sure make sense ;)

Hi,

I have read some service booklet and they do caution us that if the tranny has been running for a long time (100k or more), changing the oil may lead to some seal leakage etc.......

My suggestion is that if the tranny is >100K Km leow, just do not touch it, not even think of opening any nuts to de-pressurised it.....:)

For the E46's and most newer models of BMW, the boxes are either made by ZF of General Motors Europe(The Hydramatic box)

I doubt BMW utilizes the services of a Japanese gearbox maker.. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsjl444

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back