Lock failed and I had to climb out of my car window...

Casa

Just wish to share my unpleasant experience with the locking system on my E90.
Yesterday, somehow all 4 door locks failed. Pressing the unlockin button on the console or double pulling the door lever did not unlock my doors. and i was trapped in my car. out of desperation i had to climb out of my window. luckily the power window are still working.

did a quick search and realise it is a very common issue, a quick fix will be replacing fuse 57. So i got some 20amp fuse and replaced it myself. it unlocked the doors once but it blew the 2nd time i lock/unlock the car. so likely one of the actuator is faulty causing my fuse to blow.

what really concerned me was, there are no manual overwrite for unlocking doors from inside. At least not that i know of. This is tragedy waiting to happen. What happens if a pregnant lady or elderly is driving the car when the lock fails? Do they climb out of the window like i did?

Or worst in an accident if the current to the car is disrupted, how are the drivers or passengers going to escape from the car. The power window will not be working as it is electronically driven as well.

I hope i am wrong and there are ways to manually overwrite the locks in case of emergency. Please share with me.:huhhuh:

Re: Lock failed and I had to climb out of my car window...

first of all, I wanna salute you for being self sufficient and getting to the bottom of the cause of a very jialat problem unlike some who will stay stuck in the car and then post in forum asking for help and recommendation to workshop and sometimes spray painting...

Anyway, 1st time I heard of someone having to climb out of the window..must have been quite hilarious looking..haha..sorry, image keeps popping in my mind..

In my previous E46, I encountered this and rolled down the windows, used the key the unlock the door manually and it worked..

is there a keyhole in our handle?? I never noticed!! HAHA! I am going to see my door handle after work today... :p

MW;889801 said:
first of all, I wanna salute you for being self sufficient and getting to the bottom of the cause of a very jialat problem unlike some who will stay stuck in the car and then post in forum asking for help and recommendation to workshop and sometimes spray painting...

Anyway, 1st time I heard of someone having to climb out of the window..must have been quite hilarious looking..haha..sorry, image keeps popping in my mind..

In my previous E46, I encountered this and rolled down the windows, used the key the unlock the door manually and it worked..

1st time u heard it ? i tot morgan also climbed out of his window ... hmm...

i will always disable autolock if possible in any car i own.

once i saw a family of 5 crowding around their ride, with a 3 year toddler crying like siao, teaching her how to unlock, but she just scream and scream, i cried.

yea the scene was hilarious, and worst i just finish my run for AHM. so tired already and kena this problem...

anyway i did tried to unlock the door with my key by sticking my hand out and reaching for the key hole. but mayb first time doing it plus the awkard angle, i did not dare to twist too hard so did not manage to unlock it from inside. haha

of cause after i got out, i did manage to lock / unlock the car with key.

anyway i wrote a email to AG last night expressing my concern on the safety aspect. wonder how they will reply me...

golilok;889822 said:
i will always disable autolock if possible in any car i own.

once i saw a family of 5 crowding around their ride, with a 3 year toddler crying like siao, teaching her how to unlock, but she just scream and scream, i cried.
For BMW, pls don't override the autolock. During accident, door will be automatically unlocked. If override, then u will be trapped inside.

Casa;889832 said:
yea the scene was hilarious, and worst i just finish my run for AHM. so tired already and kena this problem...

anyway i did tried to unlock the door with my key by sticking my hand out and reaching for the key hole. but mayb first time doing it plus the awkard angle, i did not dare to twist too hard so did not manage to unlock it from inside. haha

of cause after i got out, i did manage to lock / unlock the car with key.

anyway i wrote a email to AG last night expressing my concern on the safety aspect. wonder how they will reply me...

So actually can unlock from outside..tats the "manual" override

Heng the power window never roll upwards when u were trying to unlock from outside and then u drop the key..then u kenna lock inside with ur hand trapped.. Fire engine will come and u will make the Ch 5 9.30pm news

Can't you pull the handle twice to open the driver side door?

MW;889837 said:
So actually can unlock from outside..tats the "manual" override

Heng the power window never roll upwards when u were trying to unlock from outside and then u drop the key..then u kenna lock inside with ur hand trapped.. Fire engine will come and u will make the Ch 5 9.30pm news

i think that will be a life changing experience. haha free airtime on prime time news.

but this "manual" override will not work if there is no electrical current to unwind the window. fuse box blow or battery dislodge? think if that happens really only way is to break glass liao...

E92-Lighting;889848 said:
first time i heard of this occurring
apparently there are alot of threads on this if u do a search. i got alot of useful info from overseas bimmer forums while doing my reserach. seems like a very common fault.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gemwinwang

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back