looking at buying a 06/02 330iA

samquek

Hi,

I am looking at buying a used BMW 330 steptronic that was first registered in June 2002. Its got 2 previous owners and done about 60,000kms. Here are details:

Silver 4dr with black interior.
Lowered with somekind of suspension, dunno what?????
Exhaust looks aftermarket with strange tips.
Car looks heavily touched up - inside and out.
Engine looks good and original.
Sales guy says the car is serviced at PML and no body damage.

What sort of problems will I encounter over the next months to come? The car's OMV is about $50K.

Obviously the warranty is over. Should I consider this car?

Thanks in advance....

Re: looking at buying a 06/02 330iA

you may wish to go to PML to verify its servicing records

The 3L engine is a gem. If you are unsure about the car, you can send it to any of the BMW workshops for an inspection before you commit. Is the car under the old scheme?(ie 80% OMV at end of 10 years) Most of the cars under the old scheme will be better off dereg cos of the high paper value. What is the depreciation per year you are looking at?

Pardon my ignorance. The car being offered at $114, Its a mid June '02 car from PML. I am afraid to say that I dont know how to do my depreciation figures. OMV is about $50k I think. What should my counter offer be like?

Could I please have more help to decide on the purchase. What should I be aware of a 3 year old 60,000km step 330iA?

Thanks in advance. Cheers

Check which month is the COE from; from May 2002 onwards, your residual value at 10th year will be 65% OMV instead of the 80% OMV for the earlier COEs. BTW, 50k for OMV is kinda low, you may want to check again... should be closer to 55k ot 60k.

Also, check with PML on the service history.

Get the VIN number to determine when the car was manufactured.

The 330ia/4 should go for anything from 11k to 13-15k depreciation per year, depending on condition, accessories, etc.

Lovely engine... hope you enjoy it soon!

It's "FROM May 2002".

http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publi.../de-register_a_vehicle0/PARF_COE_Rebates.html

New PARF Rebate (for cars registered with COEs obtained from May 2002 tender).

To clarify, a car registered using a COE obtained from May 2002 tender (onwards) will have the new PARF scheme (65% or 55% OMV at the 10th year). Cat A/B COEs will have 6 months validity, so it's possible that a car registered Oct 2002 could still be using a COE obtained in Apr 2002 and still be on the old PARF scheme.

Always check carefully. And good luck on the car!!

When it comes to determining what is the PARF, whether 80% of OMV or 65%, be careful during the controversial May/June period of 2002. The determinant is WHEN the COE was secured. If it was secured in say April 2002 and the car was registered only in Aug 2002, then it will still benefit from the 80% of OMV type of PARF system. So the safest bet is to ask for a copy of the log card. Whether 80% or 65% of OMV makes helluva difference whether u plan to drive to 5-year mark or drive till 10-year mark as the 80% of OMV system will give you higher PARF value.

samquek said:
Pardon my ignorance. The car being offered at $114, Its a mid June '02 car from PML. I am afraid to say that I dont know how to do my depreciation figures. OMV is about $50k I think. What should my counter offer be like?

Could I please have more help to decide on the purchase. What should I be aware of a 3 year old 60,000km step 330iA?

Thanks in advance. Cheers

May I suggest you PM fellow forummer Jeremy who goes by the nick of Rastaman. He has recently purchased a 2003 330i 4 door, having previously owned a 330i 2 door. He may be able to tell you what to look out for and what would be a good price, insurance costs etc.

It is indeed a 65% OMV car. Thanks to all for answering my post and for the heads up. And thanks T6 for the contact.

I am still unsure about certain details. Will work them out and see if the car is going to be a reality for me.

Hi Sam,

I hope you have not committed on this car yet. I too have seen this particular 330i ( if i am not wrong ). The present paper value ( i.e if the car is scrape now or exported ) is about 73K hence, I don't think the dealer would have paid ( or even as a trade-in value) more than 88k for it ( 15k for the "body" - as the dealer would say )!!!. To buy it at 114k you would be paying a high premiun of 26k to the dealer who purchased the car in early July 2005. Yes, the road tax is good till end 2005 but; don't forget you have to pay for the transfer fee and etc which may be more than a few k's. In my view we should not be dictated by the dealer what yearly depreciation we should be willing to incurred for owing a BMW. This to me is rediculous. In my opinion, tell the dealer he should be looking at less than 95k for the car. If he does not bite, walk away ........ he gets to keep the car which is depreciating day by day but, you get to keep your hard earned money.......

Cheers,

Chow Li

Thanks for the heads up Chow Li. Yes they are desperate to sell the car. The car does not give me the real peace. Something else about it bugs me. The price for sure and some mechanical bits and sounds.

Thanks again to everyone. I am going to sit this one out. Cheers. SQ

Hi Sam,

I saw the car too. The air con seems to be going...emitting high pitch screeching sound.....

I think this is one true value of an enthusiasts' forum, everyone coming in with information to share.

Good luck on your next car Sam!

Thanks UG and Emiffy. Yes, once I secure a facelifted e46 330iA, I will post up. Cheers..

samquek said:
Thanks UG and Emiffy. Yes, once I secure a facelifted e46 330iA, I will post up. Cheers..

You may wish to start a new thread indicating that you are looking for a 330ia. You never know, U might get some lobang from forummers letting go of their rides etc.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uk88zone

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back