Lots of N20/N26 engine having broken timing chain guide.

E46CCM

So I searched on here about the timing chain issue and what SG bimmer owners are facing. I am seeing most cars going to the workshop for other issues are also having to replace their timing chain guide, timing chain and oil pump chain due to pieces of the plastic breaking off and collecting in the oil sump. Seems like this is a very common issue with the N20/N26 engine. Seems also that there is actually warning signs before the engine blows. Like checking the oil sump for debris.

In particular I was reading this thread by BAVWORKS.
https://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/threads/important-things-to-take-note-of.88189/

Just wondering who else here have their timing chain replaced and at what mileage? Sorry if this was discussed on another thread but haven't seen one.

I am trying to decide if I should go in for a preventative timing chain replacement using the updated ones post 2015. Mine is a 2012 model and 58k mileage. A timebomb as I understand it.

Yes it happens and N20 is a pretty well known engine for it to happen.
Generally I seen most fail at or around the 100,000 MILE mark so its a good idea to replace it if you're keeping the car around for a long time.
Generally the plastic chain guides fail <-- this is true and you'll hear a different sound when the engine is reved (check youtube)
However the plastic parts are quite big and theres little chance of it clogging up the oil pickup line and starving the engine of oil. The real issue is if the timing chain skips a tooth and goes out of time and valves meet cylinder and then bye bye engine.
So yes replacing the affected parts is a good idea as preventive maintenance, and replace the timing chain along with the guides as well.
Quite a few of our site sponsors are able to do this quite easily so shop around for prices. Do let us know where you went and how much you spent and what milage you eventually changed at Cheers !

I am in Brunei so I will either go to the local dealership here or one of the better indy workshop. I was quoted under $2k if not mistaken including parts and labour. Do I need to change the oil pump? Or just the timing chain, guide and pump chain?

I was thinking of maybe having a look at the condition of the guide by taking apart the sump and see if there is any debris inside. What do you think? Or best to just have it replaced as a preventative measure. Its 8 years old but low mileage though.

Normally if you decide to change the timing chain there are a few things you may want to check and replace since you are already dismantling the engine cover.
- Engine Valve Cover Gasket
- Main Bearing Oil Seal
- Oil Pan Gasket
- Valve Seal

If u have budget, change the oil pump chain with spocket too.
I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and have it replaced unfortunately. I rather spend the $2k than to have to spend $6k plus to get a used engine or repair the one I am having. As what some tech said, its a matter of time as oppose to if it will happen. I just got the car without knowing this problem. But good thing I got it cheap so still worth it to do the preventative measure. But I already down $$$$ already to do some upgrading works. Bodykit, JB4, and 19" wheel. So have to be careful what I spend on for this so call timebomb.

DiY ? hahaha I dont suggest too many things that can go wrong, but since you're keeping the car for long i'd do it. on a budget just do the chain and guides no need to do the rest

Ok. Chain and guide would include the oil pump chain? My dealership suggested doing the pump as well depending on whether there is a lot of sludge. I am not so keen to spend that extra on the pump.

Hey is your $ , sludge has 0 to do with oil pump so the dealer just wants your $ and is full of it. Remember there have been near 0 cases of oil pump failing so far in the n20s. Ypur issue is the timing chain and guide. Well since your car has such low kms on it you could actually just do the guides

Hey is your $ , sludge has 0 to do with oil pump so the dealer just wants your $ and is full of it. Remember there have been near 0 cases of oil pump failing so far in the n20s. Ypur issue is the timing chain and guide. Well since your car has such low kms on it you could actually just do the guides
Ya, hence why I normally go to a trusted workshop to do most of my repair. In any case, will monitor and see how it goes. Thanks for your input. Appreciate it.

Just a quick update. I ordered the timing chain kit from FCP Euro and some tools from Aliexpress. I won't be doing the replacement myself. Will be getting an indy workshop where I am to do it. Managed to get a reasonable deal on the labour cost. Looking forward to getting the preventative measure being done.

While I was there the mechanic showed me 3x N20 that was completely toasted by the timing chain failure. Fingers crossed.

Just a quick update. I ordered the timing chain kit from FCP Euro and some tools from Aliexpress. I won't be doing the replacement myself. Will be getting an indy workshop where I am to do it. Managed to get a reasonable deal on the labour cost. Looking forward to getting the preventative measure being done.

While I was there the mechanic showed me 3x N20 that was completely toasted by the timing chain failure. Fingers crossed.
So what kms did those engines fail at ?

Sorry for late response. No idea as to how many km. But just today I was checking with my workshop and the mech said he is currently working on another F30 with a blown engine. The owner had to buy a Japan used engine at a cost of $5k. SO not taking any chances. I want to keep the car so best to have the timing chain and guide replaced.

pix

Attachments

• 0C5C175C-16C1-4F05-A34D-43FD00BF5611.png
    0C5C175C-16C1-4F05-A34D-43FD00BF5611.png
    741 KB · Views: 2,676
What is the typical cost of doing this in sg? Parts $$ and labour $$

Taking over a n20 and I think this hasnt been done. Would like to plan my finances in advance...

Cheers

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sin88prof

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back