Low Coolant Warning

Re: Low Coolant Warning

I bought a 5-year old 320i second-hand 3 months ago, and the radiator was the first of TONS of problems that it started to give me. When I first got the yellow low coolant warning, I just topped up with water, but it came back within a week or so. Brought it to the workshop who checked and told me it was the hoses and pipings that were leaking. Changed everything for about $700+. But since then, everything is ok with the radiator.

I am still visiting the workshop tomorrow for a host of OTHER issues... maybe I should JUNK the car. :-(

Did you take it to a reputable workshop? You may have been robert.

Bigbird00;644752 said:
Hi Blacklights,
I am having the "Low Coolant light" problem today and realized water is dripping from under the car. Looks bad.

My is past warranty by a mile now. Can you please let me know which workshop did you go for the OEM radiator replacement?

Thanks.
BR

Cheers

I had the same problem a couple of weeks back, was topping up every other day. I sent the car to BVO and they detected leaks in the radiator and some hoses which had hardened. They replaced the radiator and all the connecting hoses and pipes, IIRC the radiator alone costs $300+. Total cost of replacement was around $1.2k, quite a good price IMHO considering almost the entire cooling system was replaced except the coolant tank and the thermostat.

BVO has all the parts in stock so you can just drive in for the replacement. They are very familiar with the cooling system and the entire job took only a couple of hours including pressure testing after replacing all the parts. They even washed the entire engine with engine degreaser, i drove off with a engine compartment that looked gleaming new.. :)

Have not noticed any coolant leak so far after the replacement, am happy with the money well spent.

You may want to pay them a visit, I'm sure they will be able to advise you accordingly.

Hope this helps.

Bigbird00;644752 said:
Hi Blacklights,
I am having the "Low Coolant light" problem today and realized water is dripping from under the car. Looks bad.

My is past warranty by a mile now. Can you please let me know which workshop did you go for the OEM radiator replacement?

Thanks.
BR

Cheers

Hi Bro, honestly I can't mention the full name here as it's not a site sponsor but it starts with "RS...", theyre listed in the TWM Engineering warranty handbook.

I went with them because they were the ones who were open on a Sunday and proved to me where the leak was. From the radiator itself. He quoted me about $460 for the radiator, I believe every worshop there was a mark up. But I could say that, you should try drop by Riverview Auto at AMK autopoint and ask for Kanash.

Theyre really pro and transparent in their charges as everything is itemized. Don't expect to have your car done in few hours though, they will do a nice full service and let you know when it's done within before end of the day. First come first served basis.

My radiator leaks are gone now. No issues. The last time I had my temp sensor replaced, a few hoses, the radiator, top up with coolant, with coolant tank structure check, all ok. Guess the radiator and all are quite common issues and I'd say it's all about their quality of work versus labor charge.

Advice is that you should feel a sense of assurance when you interact with the foremen during the approach. Most of them get their parts from Eng Soon anyway..

Cheers and enjoy your ride :)

Iken;645403 said:
I bought a 5-year old 320i second-hand 3 months ago, and the radiator was the first of TONS of problems that it started to give me. When I first got the yellow low coolant warning, I just topped up with water, but it came back within a week or so. Brought it to the workshop who checked and told me it was the hoses and pipings that were leaking. Changed everything for about $700+. But since then, everything is ok with the radiator.

I am still visiting the workshop tomorrow for a host of OTHER issues... maybe I should JUNK the car. :-(

Budget $3k to $4k. The car should be better after that.
Don't think too much because you do offset the costs with lower purchase price for the car - lower depreciation, lower interest costs assuming lower loan quantum, etc. Only thing is that troublesome, got to keep going workshops. But just take it as a learning experience - it actually helps you to learn more about your car. No pain, no gain. Take it +ve ya.....

C3P0;645663 said:
Budget $3k to $4k. The car should be better after that.
Don't think too much because you do offset the costs with lower purchase price for the car - lower depreciation, lower interest costs assuming lower loan quantum, etc. Only thing is that troublesome, got to keep going workshops. But just take it as a learning experience - it actually helps you to learn more about your car. No pain, no gain. Take it +ve ya.....

Second that. Very good advise. My new E90 depreciates almost twice as much (15K/yr vs 8.5k/yr) so if you think in that sense, budgeting up to 2k/yr for repairs is fair enough. Anything more maybe it's time to change car.

Thanks folks.. I am glad for your advice... ;-) I actually love the drive of my car after trying out a friend's little Jap car the other day.

But the workshop guy is terrible... he said, well, I can spend $3k to fix the existing problems (aircon, engine oil, etc), but after another while, be prepared for gearbox problem! Grrrr..... I guess I was wrong to think that European cars were built to last....

Which workshop did you go to? Try the forum sponsors, they are good... Boss, BVO, R2D. I don't think a workshop should tell you stuff like that without proof that your gearbox is going to uplorry. My E90 is 5+ years old and the gearbox is still going fine - no jerks, etc.

I just caught the "water leaking bug" 30 mins ago. :oooops: Had all the hose changed few weeks back. The low water coolant warning pop up while i was about drive her out for lunch. Top up about half a litre of water and coolant level hit max. Most lightly it's a minor leak somewhere. Going to buy some distill water in case the leak gets worst before i send her to the workshop on Sat.

Dinosaur hunter;646727 said:
I just caught the "water leaking bug" 30 mins ago. :oooops: Had all the hose changed few weeks back. The low water coolant warning pop up while i was about drive her out for lunch. Top up about half a litre of water and coolant level hit max. Most lightly it's a minor leak somewhere. Going to buy some distill water in case the leak gets worst before i send her to the workshop on Sat.

You should give one of the sponsor workshop a visit. Hope it's not the radiator or the coolant tank. Budget about $700 with everything just in case.

blacklights;646759 said:
You should give one of the sponsor workshop a visit. Hope it's not the radiator or the coolant tank. Budget about $700 with everything just in case.

Thanks for your concern. The leak was bad as the coolant tank is low this morning. Top up water and drove to workshop to check. Found the leak at the y-joint located near the engine. Friendy mechanic told me very cheap to replace when compared to radiator. Had changed atf and atf filter since leaving my ride there. On the way there to collect my UDM now. Missed her so much.:cloud9:

Can i know how much top up is enough?
Mine is 2007 320i E90.

Does it indicate?
Please advise... thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yo88business
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups