M50: Replacing hydraulic lifters

mybmmer318

Anyone replace the lifters before? Had a ticking sound from the engine during cold start and after driven for a while tick sound disappear..read up about the ticking sound in some forums which lead to the hydraulic lifters replacement. Anyone can share how much is the cost to replce the lifters? was quoted labour of $180 to replace all 24 (price exclude parts) After replacing the lifters will the engine perform better? Pls advise..

Btw any idea how much is the set of 24 lifters from stockist?

Regards

Re: M50: Replacing hydraulic lifters

You should replace the cam while you are at it. If lifters noisy, then cam lobes are kaput as well

$180 is a bargain

btw, what car are you talking about?

AFAIK, lifters are EXPENSIVE. I read on several forums that each lifter can cost around USD 60-80. A set of 24 is going to easily cost you over SGD 2K.

Worn out lifters are a common problem but it is not an engine threatening issue. Unless the noise is getting too irritating, the forumers recommendation is : Live with it!

mybmmer318;330185 said:
Anyone replace the lifters before? Had a ticking sound from the engine during cold start and after driven for a while tick sound disappear..read up about the ticking sound in some forums which lead to the hydraulic lifters replacement. Anyone can share how much is the cost to replce the lifters? was quoted labour of $180 to replace all 24 (price exclude parts) After replacing the lifters will the engine perform better? Pls advise..

Btw any idea how much is the set of 24 lifters from stockist?

Regards

From what i have read, the ticking noise could also be camshaft related issue. If its a turbo engine, it could be a wastegate actuator problem.

Removing m50 camshafts. Lifter noise? - bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Read here.

do check on your oil level or lubrication system first before proceeding to replace the hydraulic lifters, as they hardly failed unless your have a very very bad sludge issue.

start with checking the oul level. if oil level is correct, check if you are using the right weight oil, if its correct, proceed to check the oil pressure. loose oil pump nut? failling oil pump seal???

why do i recommend the above?

well i had a similar problem on my previous ride. spent tonsss of money to replaced the lifters and still the same problem. so i just crank up the radio and forget about it. then a few mouths later, my oil pressure ligt begin to blink while idle in D. oil level was ok. check this and that and finally found the cause to be a loose oil pump nut, which is a common occurance in m50 m52 and m54s as well. had it thighten and spot welded it. to my supprise the ticking sound disappear, it was totally silent. after much reading, i got to know the oil lifters function with oil pressure, if the oil level is low, or in my case the oil pump is weak, the lifter will not be getting the right amount of oil and thurs not extend to the proper adjusting length. using a low viscosity oil will also cause your lifter to tick as the oil is too thin to be retain in the lifter body, thats the reason when some bmwgurus will ask you to use a thicker oil to cure the ticking problem.

on a more recent encounter, my current ride made some ticking noise suddenly just the a few weeks back, and upon checking i found my oil to be way below the lowest mark, no thanks to a oil sump gasket. fixed the leak and top up the oil and its running smooth as it should be.

lefortez;333109 said:
do check on your oil level or lubrication system first before proceeding to replace the hydraulic lifters, as they hardly failed unless your have a very very bad sludge issue.

start with checking the oul level. if oil level is correct, check if you are using the right weight oil, if its correct, proceed to check the oil pressure. loose oil pump nut? failling oil pump seal???

why do i recommend the above?

well i had a similar problem on my previous ride. spent tonsss of money to replaced the lifters and still the same problem. so i just crank up the radio and forget about it. then a few mouths later, my oil pressure ligt begin to blink while idle in D. oil level was ok. check this and that and finally found the cause to be a loose oil pump nut, which is a common occurance in m50 m52 and m54s as well. had it thighten and spot welded it. to my supprise the ticking sound disappear, it was totally silent. after much reading, i got to know the oil lifters function with oil pressure, if the oil level is low, or in my case the oil pump is weak, the lifter will not be getting the right amount of oil and thurs not extend to the proper adjusting length. using a low viscosity oil will also cause your lifter to tick as the oil is too thin to be retain in the lifter body, thats the reason when some bmwgurus will ask you to use a thicker oil to cure the ticking problem.

on a more recent encounter, my current ride made some ticking noise suddenly just the a few weeks back, and upon checking i found my oil to be way below the lowest mark, no thanks to a oil sump gasket. fixed the leak and top up the oil and its running smooth as it should be.

Thks for e advice bro..had fixed the lifters and currently no ticking sound from engine..will mointor the situation and see if its happens again. Anyway for those who had similar problems and may wanna change lifters the cost is @ below.

Qty: 24 Hydraulic lifters @ $17 each from Golden Link

U need also:

1 set of cam cover valve rubber gasket @ $30 from GL

15pcs of rubber mountings for cam cover bolts @ $1.70 each from GL

Labour: depends on where you go..

For me @ Eunos ave4 Blk 1064 @ $180.

Need 1 day to complete the job.

Hope e above info helps..

futron.sim;333423 said:
Are the Lifters OEM of genuine BMW parts?

OEMs..if u were to go PML and ask for them..hoho...yes...maybe its $60usd for one pc and they have no stock need to order from Germany

mybmmer318;333316 said:
Thks for e advice bro..had fixed the lifters and currently no ticking sound from engine..will mointor the situation and see if its happens again. Anyway for those who had similar problems and may wanna change lifters the cost is @ below.

Qty: 24 Hydraulic lifters @ $17 each from Golden Link

Bro, I may be changing my lifters soon. Where is Golden Link? contact? address?
Thanks.

Bison;333494 said:
Bro, I may be changing my lifters soon. Where is Golden Link? contact? address?
Thanks.

Blk 261 waterloo street..opp the kopitiam...can lOOk for Cheng.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OneTab
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back