Maintenance for the current 3-series

hi everyone,

wanting to get the 320/328 but don't want to be troubled with the numerous breakdown and replacement issues. of course normal wear and tear and maintenance will be higher than jap cars but not to the extend i need to pay an arm for it

any one can advise ? especially those who have driven for a couple of years already ?

Happy New Year btw ! :)

Re: Maintenance for the current 3-series

Shorten the OCI to 8k and check the key stats every 3 months and your ride should be trouble free.

The N20 engine is quite trouble free. The 8hp gearbox is also quite trouble free.

Checking the key stats is not looking for fault codes because when fault codes appear (shadow codes included) - neglect already happened......checking the key stats is for preventive maintenance.

Red_Bean_Bun;1112893 said:
Shorten the OCI to 8k and check the key stats every 3 months and your ride should be trouble free.

The N20 engine is quite trouble free. The 8hp gearbox is also quite trouble free.

Checking the key stats is not looking for fault codes because when fault codes appear (shadow codes included) - neglect already happened......checking the key stats is for preventive maintenance.

i see, adopting the preventive better than cure analogy. makes sense. thanks !

Dun buy Bmw loh

Ya.. fc no good.. always go ws.. too many things 2 mod

Mind me asking the amount to set aside yearly for sending a new F30 back to AD service center for the routine maintenace?

Thanks a lot!

Is this your first time owning a car ?
If you have a 316 and drive less than 10k Km a year then it's abt $200.
If you have a 335 and goes for svc 3 times a year then it's near to a grand.
If your luck is not good and your car warranty is over then you could be spending ten of thousands at AD ws.
Take our advise, dun buy BMW.

Last edited by a moderator:

jap2conti;1114625 said:
Mind me asking the amount to set aside yearly for sending a new F30 back to AD service center for the routine maintenace?

Thanks a lot!

If u cn afford new F30.... is the amount for maintaining ur ride matters?

casper77;1114645 said:

Be like me... from conti to jap. Altis is the new bmw fc good, cheap maintenance, can go malaysia mod, wash at any petrol kiosk etc

Hi, thanks for the advice!

I'm actually considering either a 316i or 320ED as my next drive. Have been driving jap cars, hence, looking for a change.

Totally agreed with you that most times it's luck that determines one's spending on the car maintenance.

You have very bad experiences with BMWs? Mind sharing?

Thanks lots!

Jason8822;1114640 said:
Is this your first time owning a car ?
If you have a 316 and drive less than 10k Km a year then it's abt $200.
If you have a 335 and goes for svc 3 times a year then it's near to a grand.
If your luck is not good and your car warranty is over then you could be spending ten of thousands at AD ws.
Take our advise, dun buy BMW.

Buying a car of your preference is like being together with your sweetheart. Definitely dun want the relationship to turn into a heartache at the end of the day. On the other hand, it may also not worth spending great effort, time and $$$ in maintaining a bad ride. :cool:

casper77;1114645 said:

Just wondering does anyone still return to PML for servicing/maintenance after the warranty period? Is so, any particular reasons?

jap2conti;1114966 said:
Hi, thanks for the advice!

I'm actually considering either a 316i or 320ED as my next drive. Have been driving jap cars, hence, looking for a change.

Totally agreed with you that most times it's luck that determines one's spending on the car maintenance.

You have very bad experiences with BMWs? Mind sharing?

Thanks lots!

BMW is not known for their reliability
It seems that you are worried about maintenance cost, which in that case you should not get a bmw

gadaffi;1114652 said:
Be like me... from conti to jap. Altis is the new bmw fc good, cheap maintenance, can go malaysia mod, wash at any petrol kiosk etc

That is so true.
I got a friend who got a Corolla. In 4 years he drove 200 thousand km and never had to repair even once. Only send in for regular service. Anyone here got BMW like that? 200,000 km without a single repair!

Driving the F30 316 for close to a yr now . no issues except foa stall once.

previous to this was my 2.0 Jap make Camry.
no stalls , Zero repairs. onli servicing.
i did change 1 set of shocks on the 7th yr .
on the 8.5 yr , left headlight went bust , had the pair changed .
i tink i had 3 changes to the windshield wipers.

im just lining p my F30 to this
will give update in a couple !!!!

ps
the camry sadly had to go due to it being 10 yrs
My SE will attes the fact the camry i sent in still looked good and sounded great

Red_Bean_Bun;1112893 said:

Hi,

May I know what's OCI and how to check on the key stats?

Servicing says 15000km for oil change.... oh... OCI is Oil Change something? We don't follow the 15000km oil change?

thanks in advance.

I have got a new F30. Now at 9000km plus.

Just send my F30 for a 10,000km servicing. Cost $253 for an oil change and other simple checks. Is this expensive?

I send my E90 at workshop outside for oil change for only $160... sigh....

Where did you do your service? I did mine at PML and cost $350. Change engine oil and labour, oil filter only

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aw8vietnamorg
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back