Mercedes C230 Avantgarde

Re: Mercedes C230 Avantgarde

I won't trust mileage *at all* unless car has full service history. 18K+ is really expensive. At around 19-20K+ depre you can get a F10 523i off the used car market now. I would think 15-16K is a more reasonable asking price.

Last edited by a moderator:

do try out the car before you decide. if you are used to the force-fed engines of today, you might find the larger capacity NA ones lacking in low end torque. as a daily driver, its easy to get frustrated in start stop traffic.

that said, the c230/c280 are excellent cruisers. very refined engines compared to the kompressors and even the current CGIs. and you can't find a 4 cylinder merc of that age with a 7g-tronic gb, which i feel is well ahead of its time in the 07-10 period.

Nightwind;950465 said:
Hi detach8...no i did not mean to imply you paint a bad pic. On the contrary what you said MADE SENSE. Why go fer a 2.5L V6 and pay more road tax when a c250 gives the same low end torque and is also more fuel efficient.

YOU WERE RIGHT. Yeah the AMG kit is nice too, and i like the twin exhausts but the black rims r awful.....too beng la.

I went to see the car once already and still am not decided. The other possibilities i weigh is Lexus IS250, and Audi A4. Sorry, after 2 BMWs i decided to have a flavour change. And like you i expect to get flamed lol...

I really have no where else to turn to coz in the normal sgcarmart forums few drivers have the same experience and technical background as the folks here in the BMW forums...and i mean nice people like u..:)

hmm...am still very undecided...truth be told if it was not for my wife, i would get that Audi S5 coupe...but thats a pipe dream. My coupe driving days are over....now back to the ugly reality..

Btw do you think that car is over priced? The COE is only $5k, i have not calculated the PARF yet. There is another c230 but its a PI and mileage is 89k km...and i dont quite trust that one although the price is lower at $119k....

Detach8 is a very good person to speak to. He provided you very good viewpoints.

A4 shouldnt even be in the picture. IS250, very subjective.

Mileage, I agree that you shouldn't bank on it too much. We have seen cars which were "adjusted" though many people would claim it can't be nowadays, etc. How we know, simple, these were our cars that we sold / traded away and they reappeared with lowered mileage.

Calculating the annual dep with all other factors considered inclusively, the price tag of a new is not that diff from a used.

If you're looking for A4, then get the 2.0L Quattro. That is a decent car. But really at those price points why buy a C/A4/3series when you can go for E/A6/5series.

TS, it might also be of interest to you that all the cars you've listed are outgoing models. in particular the is250 and the w204 C, both are due for replacement sometime in 2014.
the A4, face-lifted in 2012, might reach end of life in 2015.
points for your consideration.

Yes Rabid i am painfully aware these are not the most recent line of offerings. But my budget is tight and i have few options given the current COE levels, a new car is not on my list.

Rabid;950523 said:
TS, it might also be of interest to you that all the cars you've listed are outgoing models. in particular the is250 and the w204 C, both are due for replacement sometime in 2014.
the A4, face-lifted in 2012, might reach end of life in 2015.
points for your consideration.

nightwind, in absolute terms, it may seem that the new cars cost more. but if you consider the similar depreciation, added maintenance issues and opportunity costs, cars >3 yrs typically out of warranty might not be a good choice.

among the choices, i would think the C class would have the best resale. if a v6 is not a must, consider the very popular 1.6 cgi 7gtronic- i was pretty impressed with the pick up and comfort. there are a few near new units on sgcm.

Hi Rabid i agree with you theoretically, but when i go over the sgcarmart listings, the prices for the c200 are either more expensive or in same region as the c230. Or the c200s are much older or have more mileage.

I cant find a c200 of same age and mileage as this c230 which is cheaper...so i may have to settle for this ride. I am trying to get the price below $130k....hopefully the seller will agree....:(

Rabid;950548 said:
nightwind, in absolute terms, it may seem that the new cars cost more. but if you consider the similar depreciation, added maintenance issues and opportunity costs, cars >3 yrs typically out of warranty might not be a good choice.

among the choices, i would think the C class would have the best resale. if a v6 is not a must, consider the very popular 1.6 cgi 7gtronic- i was pretty impressed with the pick up and comfort. there are a few near new units on sgcm.

yes i would think under 130k would be very possible.

afaik the mentioned dealer takes cars from official c and c resellers republic auto. usu cars that the latter cannot sell well (eg high mileage) or the occasional incentive cars.

like what has been mentioned, agent service records are very impt.

hope your deal goes thru:)

Thks everyone, i will delay purchase till after CNY...i am told car price will soften after CNY? I will keep you guys updated.

Thks

Nightwind;953333 said:
Thks everyone, i will delay purchase till after CNY...i am told car price will soften after CNY? I will keep you guys updated.

Thks

I had previously bought an E240 from this dealer and noticed that the mileage on their cars are usually high above 100k km mark.

Market price for new and used car is different and though used car dealers price their cars according to new car price with depreciation, their cost to buy back may not be that high.

Can try to press them for that little more and perhaps take a longer duration loan with them.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nguyenvanhung

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back