Minister Ng E.H. act blur or lost touch?

Baby1M

A reporter asked the Minister if he was surprised that even teenagers were talking about adult issues.

Dr Ng laughed, “I guess Singaporeans are very serious, or maybe just this crowd is very serious, I don’t know.”

hmmmm... why he laughed? Does it imply he act blur, lost touch with the ground, simply dont care or just doesn't bother him since he got millions?

--------------

Article link
http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/03/18/dr-ng-bombarded-by-bread-n-butter-issues-from-teenagers/

Cut+Paste
During a Singapore Conversation held yesterday (16 Mar) at a youth forum in Toa Payoh Library, even teenagers expressed worry about bread-and-butter issues.

They posed many questions on mature issues such as job competition, housing cost and maternity leave for Minister Ng Eng Hen to answer.

When Dr Ng told the youth that their generation would all be able to afford a 4-room HDB flat, Louis Low, 17, stood up to rebut the Minister.

Louis said he comes from a poor family. His father, a cleaner at a hawker centre, earns only about $700 a month while his mother, a retail assistant, earns about $1,700.

Louis, who will be going to Singapore Poly this year, said, “What if I don’t do well in my studies and become like my father? I don’t dare to say that I can afford a 4-room flat. It’ll be worse if I’m also trying to start a family.”

Another student said, “I was watching the news and heard that housing prices are soaring. It’s quite scary.”

Dr Ng then repeated what Mr Khaw told Parliament in recent weeks, that the Govt will try to lower HDB BTO flat prices in non-mature estates to four times the annual median income of flat applicants.

Looking at a typical BTO launch last year [Link], the monthly median income of applicants for 4-room flats in Punggol is listed as $4,000 while the typical selling price for a 4-room unit is listed as $315,000. The price to annual median income ratio in this case works out to 6.6. Measured against the World Bank’s standard of 5.0, 6.6 is considered not affordable.

However, if the government can indeed lower the price of a 4-room BTO flat to a more affordable $192,000 (i.e. 4 times the annual median income of applicants), that would be most welcome by new home buyers. In this case we are talking about a 64% drop from the current typical price of $315,000 for a 4-room flat. That is a lot of money for the government to “lose”.

Back to the forum, the young participants highlighted the undeniable fact that employers prefer to hire foreign workers instead of locals these days to lower costs. Edric Wong, 14, said, “Most of the complaints are aimed at foreign expats competing for high-income jobs.”

A reporter asked the Minister if he was surprised that even teenagers were talking about adult issues.

Dr Ng laughed, “I guess Singaporeans are very serious, or maybe just this crowd is very serious, I don’t know.”

Re: Minister Ng E.H. act blur or lost touch?

considered lucky, sekali ask you back "what do you think" ... you don't have answer

"Phew, nowadays geen-nah not easy to bluff....."

"Hahahahaha suckers!! Wait till you guys get into the army. I'll tell my old friends there to tekan you lot for asking me such questions today and making a fool of me"

will bto buyers for the last few years jump ... 64% drop in price leh
even MOP is 10 years also no problem ... buy $192K sell $800K ... huat ah!!!

err ... govt got lose money one meh? so if coe drop from $90k to $30k means govt lose money too?

However, if the government can indeed lower the price of a 4-room BTO flat to a more affordable $192,000 (i.e. 4 times the annual median income of applicants), that would be most welcome by new home buyers. In this case we are talking about a 64% drop from the current typical price of $315,000 for a 4-room flat. That is a lot of money for the government to “lose”.

Last edited by a moderator:

haha ... give up ar ... initially i tot he is potential PM leh ... but again ... exceed age limit liao la

Nutzzz;969621 said:
I give up on this guy.

I don't believe anyone in the current Cabinet has "lost touch" with the people.

You can't lose something you never had in the first place.

Oilman;969626 said:
I don't believe anyone in the current Cabinet has "lost touch" with the people.

You can't lose something you never had in the first place.

Micheal Palmer touch someone

U all make it sound like any government owes u a living

kenntona;969601 said:
"Phew, nowadays geen-nah not easy to bluff....."

Geen-nah bluff themselves one...they think gahmen can control HDB pricing..no wonder this simi simi "Hen" finally cannot than anymore so he laughed loh.. :yummie:

HDB privatized liao, private developer build and sell, must tarn lui one.
Gahmen only award to highest bidder, first cost incurred is already the highest.
Recent additional development charges, tax and foreign worker levy will add substantial percentages to the cost liao.
Pricing still tagged to market and market still open to global buyers.

Those geen-nah still think gahmen sincere about affordable housing ... nabeh, give me I also die laughing leh ...

Nutzzz;969621 said:
I give up on this guy.
ya... Chicken better than Hen ..

Seriously, I don't know why these people were made ministers or MPs.

is like making Singaporean poorer to have more hardworking Singaporean.

is like making Singaporean poorer to have more Singaporean working harder.

pengful;969703 said:
Seriously, I don't know why these people were made ministers or MPs.

Ask the 61% Singaporeans........hehehe, me exempted cos from Aljunied GRC

wt_know;969623 said:
haha ... give up ar ... initially i tot he is potential PM leh ... but again ... exceed age limit liao la
Hearsay... he will ask his party, who wants me to be PM please Kee Chui... and members will Kee Chui :lol:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
U888ink
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back