Monster tuning box f10/f11

Slow_poke_driver

Understand that there are quite a few f10/f11 already fitted with the monster tuning box. Wonder if anyone is on this forum?

Can share your thoughts on it?

Re: Monster tuning box f10/f11

Bro, did u mean Koch tuning box by Monster tune? Yes its in my ride.

Smooth sweeter acceleration and speeds up quickly to cruising....

Am in real estate line so drive mostly urban but dashboard shows 10.8litres per 100km... so it probably helps save fuel too...

allenrazak;900912 said:
Bro, did u mean Koch tuning box by Monster tune? Yes its in my ride.

Smooth sweeter acceleration and speeds up quickly to cruising....

Am in real estate line so drive mostly urban but dashboard shows 10.8litres per 100km... so it probably helps save fuel too...

How much did u get it for and from where?
Plug and play? And issues with PML warranty?

Bro, kindly do easy search for monster-tune dot com and look for either Alvin or Nick.

Not sure about the price but twelve hundred was the bill being a regular.
It took 5 minutes to install with just piggy back onto ECU.

KOCH is German too, approved for sale in Germany and fully reversible and transferrable to another car...

So far no known case of PML voiding warranty for professionally tuned car within all the limits and parameters of the engines but am notquite sure with PML.

If anything does go wrong, I'd call Alvin or Nick to get it removed then to PML.....

No, not koch. Monster tune started their own tuning box line. Probably just oem by the same people that make PBK, speedbuster, tmc, ecutech, dynomite...etc, coz they all look the same.

Monster tune's version is supposedly better because it can be custom mapped on dyno, just like ecutech. Whereas others like speedbuster and tmc are running generic software, though all can be updated and I guess all can probably be tuned...

Yes, yes they started their own custom box lines. Based on Koch I guess cos looked seriously similar to what I have installed.

Probably managed to bench tune and get more out of it. Hard-core tuners. Cool.....

Bro Allenrazak,

So contact Nick or Alvin @ Monster Tune located at Sin Ming Autocare?

Sound excited and wish to modify mine. Thank you

allenrazak;901099 said:
Yes, yes they started their own custom box lines. Based on Koch I guess cos looked seriously similar to what I have installed.

Probably managed to bench tune and get more out of it. Hard-core tuners. Cool.....

Bro allenrazak, after your installation, have you tried at above 150 kmph? i just installed but when i speed up at 150 km, error code ("DRIVETRAIN") came up and ask me to check with service centre. I ignored and after few hours my car stalled. I was shock out of my life as the car was stalled at 150 km on NSHW. I have to stop by road side and restart my car. Worst still, it happen again twice during my NSHW trip.

I have dekitted my tuning kit for now........

hmm, wanted to look at this option but seems like not stable..please do share if any resolution

ngalan;910479 said:
Bro allenrazak, after your installation, have you tried at above 150 kmph? i just installed but when i speed up at 150 km, error code ("DRIVETRAIN") came up and ask me to check with service centre. I ignored and after few hours my car stalled. I was shock out of my life as the car was stalled at 150 km on NSHW. I have to stop by road side and restart my car. Worst still, it happen again twice during my NSHW trip.

Which box did you install?

Is the error like some drivetrain malfunction. Drive moderately. Full power output not available. Contact service....

Does the error come up immediately after you hit 150km/hr or do you need to cruise leisurely at 150km/hr for a while before the error comes up?

Have you tried doing full throttle pull like from 40 to 140 before on the box? Any warning?

Rightfully if you have done full throttle pulls before and no warning, the error shouldn't come up at 150km/hr.

Bro same as yours prior to the installation I have tried 200 kmph and no issue and no error code. Only after the installation when I hit 150km the error code come up. Yes the same error code as you mentioned. The car came to a stall that scare me. I don't know what is going on here but I am scare seriously

QUOTE=Slow_poke_driver;910776]Which box did you install?

Is the error like some drivetrain malfunction. Drive moderately. Full power output not available. Contact service....

Does the error come up immediately after you hit 150km/hr or do you need to cruise leisurely at 150km/hr for a while before the error comes up?

Have you tried doing full throttle pull like from 40 to 140 before on the box? Any warning?

Rightfully if you have done full throttle pulls before and no warning, the error shouldn't come up at 150km/hr.[/QUOTE]

ngalan;910836 said:
Bro same as yours prior to the installation I have tried 200 kmph and no issue and no error code. Only after the installation when I hit 150km the error code come up. Yes the same error code as you mentioned. The car came to a stall that scare me. I don't know what is going on here but I am scare seriously

QUOTE=Slow_poke_driver;910776]Which box did you install?

Rightfully if you have done full throttle pulls before and no warning, the error shouldn't come up at 150km/hr.
[/QUOTE]

I installed the TMC box. Never hit 150 before, but got to 140+ a couple of times when trying out wot pull. No warning. Did you try doing wot pull after installation of box?

I got that drivetrain malfunction error when one of the connector pin was loose after I repositioned the box. Not connector loose, but just one of the pins of the connectors. Car stalled too, but it was immediately after startup, so car wasn't moving.

Sorry Ngalan,

Didnt drive to nshw yet. Did many short bursts past that mark though, but short bursts.... :)

Have heard and read online that "drivetrain" is a common fault for many stock cars so you must retry nshw without the kit to reconfirm.
It's a fault acknowledged by bmw with many grouses posted online.

It's best to dekit and bring the car in for warranty since "drivetrain" will happen regardless of tuning or choice of fuel.

Thanks,
Allen

allenrazak;910937 said:
Sorry Ngalan,

Didnt drive to nshw yet. Did many short bursts past that mark though, but short bursts.... :)

Have heard and read online that "drivetrain" is a common fault for many stock cars so you must retry nshw without the kit to reconfirm.
It's a fault acknowledged by bmw with many grouses posted online.

It's best to dekit and bring the car in for warranty since "drivetrain" will happen regardless of tuning or choice of fuel.

Thanks,
Allen

Hi Guys,

Did some research on the F10, seems that drivetrain failure or checklights is a common problem afterall. The links below point to issues like HPFP, vacuum valve, fuel sensor, misfiring and high boost pressure being a number of issues, all on stock cars. I'm pretty sure that PML takes in a few of these failures every week, especially after NSHW!

Consolidated List of all F10 problems and Solutions/Discussions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Drivetrain Malfunction - 2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10

Stranded on side of road drivetrain malfunction - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Drivetrain Malfunction - Cannot drive far without this error - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Would advise that if you plan on upping the boost on your car, do consider the most stable fuel i.e. 98 Octane. It greatly reduces the risk of misfiring. Also, higher boost generally exacerbates any existing problems/weak points you already might have in your boost system. An experienced technician will be able to trace possible weak points. Finally, check to see if the connectors on the box's harness are not bent or missing. Bro Slow_Poke was right to say that it does affect the car, though this problem usually occurs within the first day of installation.

Sorry to hear that bro. I've checked with the Monster Tune GB crew and none of them have this problem. Some even went faster than you. A few of them have even more aggressive maps load.. mine included. :sneaky:

Might be the fuel grade. Its very common that petrol companies supply sub-standard fuel grade.. Singapore ones included.. Maybe Malaysia ones are little more compromised. Tuning box does lean out your AFR, and if the fuel is less than optimum, the car can sometime stall. My previous car stalled once (running too lean) when I cruise along PIE at 100kmh.

Try putting the box back after a week and try it out again. All the bros on the same box have no issue.

Cheers

ngalan;910479 said:

Maybe coz Ngalan running different engine? Same box, different engine also will have different effect.

I know of another forumer who installed the same brand tuning box as me on his f10 and complained about the performance worse than stock. The difference? His engine is BIGGER than mine.

Slow_poke_driver;912067 said:
Maybe coz Ngalan running different engine? Same box, different engine also will have different effect.

I know of another forumer who installed the same brand tuning box as me on his f10 and complained about the performance worse than stock. The difference? His engine is BIGGER than mine.

Hi Bro,

520i and 528i engines are both N20, just that the ecu maps are different, and some of the supporting equipment are different e.g. intercooler, fuel pump, etc. This is a common strategy by conti car makers to differentiate yet save cost at the same time.

Now, when we fix a tuning box (which is an external device) onto the car, each ecu behaves according to the maps and limiters it is programmed with. Limiters on the ecu (boost ceilings /rpm) is an important factor, as they determine whether to cut fueling if it exceeds the limit at a certain rpm. If the map on the tuning box requests for too much boost at a certain RPM, you'd immediately see a fuel cut - a clear dip in performance from that RPM onwards. That's what the dreaded fuel cut means.

Unfortunately most tuning box brands have yet to figure out how to tap on the crankshaft signal on N20 engines (or N54 and n55 engines for that matter). Thus RPM based tuning is not easy on these engines. To be safe, they program a modest increase in boost (around 10% to 15%), and let the ecu map play around with that. That's perfectly fine, unless you want to push further and really maximise the car's performance, short of hacking the ecu. I hope to see an RPM based solution for these engines soon. :)

Singsider;912444 said:
Hi Bro,

520i and 528i engines are both N20, just that the ecu maps are different, and some of the supporting equipment are different e.g. intercooler, fuel pump, etc. This is a common strategy by conti car makers to differentiate yet save cost at the same time.

My reply was to trekman. IIRC, trekman and most of the guys in group buy are running n13 engines in f20.

Edit:BTW, I think you probably already know, but most of our N20 engines in 20i tune are without the S858A option. Therefore 20i engines will be 11.0 compression ratio. Only those 20i with 858A option will have the same 10.1 compression ratio as the 28i engine and thus, same engine part number.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
747liveapp
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back