Motor Dies

jon2367

car is '93 318is manual M42 engine.
While getting a ticket for unattended parking, I forgot I had the car in 1st and let go of the clutch. Car lurched forward but with foot on brakes did not go very far. I restarted the engine and it immediately died. In order to keep it alive I had to give it quite a bit of gas but as soon as I let go of the gas, it dies again. Any ideas what I broke?

I now have to figure out how to get it out of the parking garage under power. The ramps are tight and I need my power steering.

Re: Motor Dies

Check your hoses. Might be leaking. check the rubber bellow hose connected from your Throttle body to the manifold for leaks.

Thanks for your responses. Its not the battery and I couldn't find any dislodged hoses. I drove it a bit keeping the revs up on low gears and it fixed itself. Still don't know what was the cause, but the car is due for a once over with my mechanic.

jon2367;584078 said:
Thanks for your responses. Its not the battery and I couldn't find any dislodged hoses. I drove it a bit keeping the revs up on low gears and it fixed itself. Still don't know what was the cause, but the car is due for a once over with my mechanic.

Hi Jon,

could be the idling valve faulty?

cheers

not meaning to take pleasure in ur misery Jon, but this sounds like an interesting prob! do keep us posted of the results after ur mech goes thru it eh?..:) something to add to my little DIY knowledge repository!..

cheers!
michael

i cant see how the MAF, ICV etc might get er..jammed from that dropped clutch start though..thats why i'm so curiosu about this! maybe the lurch shook loose a whole ton of dirt on the inner walls of the AFM and it er..got stuck??..:)..

I suspect the jolt may have loosened an air hose. When I extracted the car from the garage last night, I shook all hoses connected to the air intake to check for play. That didn't fix it. I had to apply enough gas to keep the car revving at 1K for about 2 minutes or so. I then took a chance and decided to drive home anticipating many restarts along the way. The last restart was right before entering the street and with the gods smiling managed to scrape thru 3 green lights. Car didn't die as I stopped for the 4th light, and it was smooth sailing all the way home.

My thoughts are that keeping the revs up on lower gears may have created enough vacuum to suck the loose hose back in position to seat properly. Yea my air hoses look knackered and the clip is loose enough to turn all the way around.

BTW, the M42 engine uses an AFM instead of MAF, so we can rule one possibility out.

check your fuel filter and or, fuel pump (neglected very often) ....happened to my 8yr old e36 before and after changing both the prob solved and car felt much more alive then.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vin7777comco

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back