Mouldy Odour from A/C

Re: Mouldy Odour from A/C

atsg22;337620 said:
Thanks, will try it.
you have this problem before also ?

yup... when my car was one month old :furious: . FYI (u may already know this) there is an air recirculating button on the steering wheel. So u can easily toggle betw "automatic" and "on".

my ride has been stinking since e day that I got it.. but i heard that all new conti cars have this prob so i brushed it aside. but it's still stinking! i hope the "burning up" method works!

say that we replace the micro filter with a new one. Will the A/C still stink? if not how long does it take be fore the smell comes back?

longhorn;337399 said:
The only method which worked for me was to drive with the aircon air recirculating switch set to "automatic". The downside is that sometimes odour/smell from outside comes into the car eg. satay smell when I drive around lau pa sat at nite :)

If you wish to set the air recirculating button to "on", what I recommend is to change it back to "automatic" about 10 minutes before you reach your destination.

Hi, Sorry to dig up this old thread.... but why was there this odour smell from outside that is flowing into the car? i am currently facing the same prob even though the aircon recirculating switch is set to automatic... Any way to rectify?:huhhuh:

Bimmer80;436073 said:
longhorn;337399 said:
The only method which worked for me was to drive with the aircon air recirculating switch set to "automatic". The downside is that sometimes odour/smell from outside comes into the car eg. satay smell when I drive around lau pa sat at nite :)

If you wish to set the air recirculating button to "on", what I recommend is to change it back to "automatic" about 10 minutes before you reach your destination.

Hi, Sorry to dig up this old thread.... but why was there this odour smell from outside that is flowing into the car? i am currently facing the same prob even though the aircon recirculating switch is set to automatic... Any way to rectify?:huhhuh:

for nwer model cars, the air con can be set in 3 modes:
a) press once, u see green light. This allows 30% outside air to come into yr car
b) press again, swtich to total 100% circulation, but after 45mins of drive, as part of safety feature to prevent "over-CO2 build-up", valve opens, to allow 30% (means it switch back to (a))
c) press again, switch off, no LED light, not sure if vavle is totally open, but alot of outside air will come in.

hope it helps.
odour in aircon is common. Get a CLA ioniser if u want to reduce such mouldy smell.
:nutkick:

JLMC;436077 said:
Bimmer80;436073 said:
for nwer model cars, the air con can be set in 3 modes:
a) press once, u see green light. This allows 30% outside air to come into yr car
b) press again, swtich to total 100% circulation, but after 45mins of drive, as part of safety feature to prevent "over-CO2 build-up", valve opens, to allow 30% (means it switch back to (a))
c) press again, switch off, no LED light, not sure if vavle is totally open, but alot of outside air will come in.

hope it helps.
odour in aircon is common. Get a CLA ioniser if u want to reduce such mouldy smell.
:nutkick:

Ahh... the ironical part is instead of preventing CO2 build-up... it's sucking the exhaust fumes from the buses...in any case should i set it to non automatic circulation instead in heavy traffic conditions?:thinking:

PML CSA advised to run in "heat" mode at MAX speed for 15minites, to remove the smell if any....have not tried cos my aircon still smell good.....

Another option is the buy a new microfilter.
$88 from PML, OEM $58 also got.
DIY less then 10min job, pop the bonnet, six screws and good to go!

i had the same problem with the morning 'pub' smell during the first couple months of owning the car.
well it's definitely environmental, cause it was raining quite heavily then and the mats were damp. for the mat get it dried, and for the car read below.

got this wonderful tip from Dr. Rod of R2D:
1.start the car and ensure it's in re-cir mode.
2. adjust both heaters to max HOT temp.
3. turn the horizontal blue / red knob to RED
4. turn aircon to full max blower and let her rip!! for about 10mins.
5. remove leaves and such from the boot lining and top left and right engine compartment.

well the above method worked for me. no more mouldy smell.
now i carry out this method once in the morning if i were to drive in the rain the previous day.

hope this help you guys. cheers

So which part of below the bonnet is this microfilter positioned? Where can I buy OEM filters?

Keen;436154 said:
Another option is the buy a new microfilter.
$88 from PML, OEM $58 also got.
DIY less then 10min job, pop the bonnet, six screws and good to go!

wow this thread started in 2005 and its still going strong. Here's a related poser for you. I believe a lizard was living in my aircon and died from whatever cause. When I turned on the fan I get a waft of death invading my nostrils. That was several years ago and either the creature has fossilized or I've gotten used to the smell. Whats the best way of clearing out the carcass without taking apart my dash?

Wow! And I thought I was the only unfortunate one who had this problem.

I've been living with this weird odor in my car since April this year. Car was 4 months old then. Smell started when I went overseas for work (1 week) and during that time, I had the car brought in to PML to get an audio system problem rectified. When I got back, a musty smell comes out of the aircon everytime I turn it on after the car has been at rest for awhile.

The Lysol method Glenyang suggested sounds promising but I'd be most grateful if someone could advise where the cabin air intake is. Are they found on the left and right of the car next to the front suspension mounts? There appear to be two plastic "trays" to collect leaves and stuff covering what appears to be a vent?

Please advise. Thanks in advance, guys!

i'm thinking to execute the "heat" method to kill the mouldy odour.

will the heat method do any harm to the leather seats ?

my understanding of the heat method:
full blast of hot air (max temp) for 15mins with re-circulation mode + close doors and windows. the re-circulated HOT AIR will kill germs and also dry the aircon filter gao gao (damp filter creates mouldy odour)

wt_know;488051 said:
i'm thinking to execute the "heat" method to kill the mouldy odour.

will the heat method do any harm to the leather seats ?

my understanding of the heat method:
full blast of hot air (max temp) for 15mins with re-circulation mode + close doors and windows. the re-circulated HOT AIR will kill germs and also dry the aircon filter gao gao (damp filter creates mouldy odour)
think not la. how hot can it get sia? end up ur car warm and humid largi more smell.

premraj;488007 said:
Wow! And I thought I was the only unfortunate one who had this problem.

I've been living with this weird odor in my car since April this year. Car was 4 months old then. Smell started when I went overseas for work (1 week) and during that time, I had the car brought in to PML to get an audio system problem rectified. When I got back, a musty smell comes out of the aircon everytime I turn it on after the car has been at rest for awhile.

The Lysol method Glenyang suggested sounds promising but I'd be most grateful if someone could advise where the cabin air intake is. Are they found on the left and right of the car next to the front suspension mounts? There appear to be two plastic "trays" to collect leaves and stuff covering what appears to be a vent?

Please advise. Thanks in advance, guys!
think the 'trays' you referring to is for you to access your front lamps to change the bulbs...
as for the exact location of intake, wait for the experts, but if i not mistaken... infront/below the wipers?...

richlee7;488178 said:
think the 'trays' you referring to is for you to access your front lamps to change the bulbs...
as for the exact location of intake, wait for the experts, but if i not mistaken... infront/below the wipers?...

thanks for responding richlee7. :)

actually, the "trays" (plastic mesh) are located on the left and right sides closest to the passenger cabin in the bonnet, ie. the furthest from the headlamps.

premraj;488211 said:
thanks for responding richlee7. :)

actually, the "trays" (plastic mesh) are located on the left and right sides closest to the passenger cabin in the bonnet, ie. the furthest from the headlamps.
oh... :oops: haha...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123bclub88
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back