Mouldy Odour from A/C

Re: Mouldy Odour from A/C

richlee7;488338 said:
oh... :oops: haha...

it's ok, richlee7. i'm more lost than anyone else when it comes to stuff under the hood of a conti car. :oops:

but could you advise if that is the cabin air intake?

thanks in advance! :)

Wow .. this thread is no ending.. ! Air con smell foul .
Spraying Lysol is best bet so far I think.. Any idea how could I spray it directly to the evaporator coil - that will be great . is it difficult to open up the bottom cabinet so I can see the evaporator directly . if this si not difficutlt, then can get air con man to do it easily without burning a big hole to your pocket ..!

khawcy;502772 said:
Spraying Lysol is best bet so far I think.. ..!

Where do you get Lysol in this part of the world? Over here, all I can find is Glad Freshener or Shieldtox.

Someone mentioned this before and it worked for me.....

Try setting your aircon temp to 21.5 and above.....

After 2 days of running at this temp, the smell went away....................................

I think something to do with the "heater" activated at this temp which helped to kill off the bacteria casuing the smell.......

Just try lah....no harm.

Dear all,

i have tried the following method which i learn from some magazines many years ago. works for me specially in the lousy environment i work. (often high and low humidility etc)

what i did is this:
whenever i experience the unpleasent smell, i will wait for a damn hot day which happens quite often for singapore. Then turn to air recirculate, on the aircon, wind down my windows and then drive on an expressway from one location to other. normally after say....half hour to an hour, all the smell and whatever that is bult up will be gone. It is quite easy for me as i traverse between changi and tuas south very often and whatever smell will be gone by one trip.

just contributing what i do and hope it helps all brothers here. ;)

Yes, I agree with V6ENGINE. I normally do that for my 520. Normally the cause of the smell is bacteria in the moisture mixed with dust in the evap coil. So sun your car for 2 hours. Temp inside should reach 40C or sauna. Turn on the AC unit on to full blast. Cut of the AC cooling function. ie. fan only. Let in run for 20-30 mins. Smell i guarantee will go away. The heat kills and dries the dust in the coil.

Btw, spraying Lysol and anti-bacteria stuff will give it a more complicated smell like sour mixed with dettol type.

good luck

The best way to clean is to remove the coil. Then pour aircon fin cleaning chemical and let it bubble for a few minutes then spray with water. After this is done pour disinfecting liquid like dettol on the coil (on a higher concentration level than the instruction). Let this dry before installing the coil back to the car.

The brown sludge on the fins caused by the mould will build up to a level that no drying or spraying can remove. The organic sludge that grows on the surface also breaks down and create more breeding ground for moulds and bacteria.

Note that before putting back the coil spray disinfectant liquid into the coil cavity to kill the mould on the surface as well. Install new filter and change filter every few months 4 to 6 monthly.

The drawback is that your car will smell like the disinfectant over the next two weeks but the mould will stay away for a few years at least.

the last time i did this (blast a/c max heat max fan speed) on my JDM, the a/c pai... the coil leak

mechanic tell me not to do that... it will spoil the a/c dunno true or not

plus bmw is known for the plastic/rubberized parts melting... not exactly fond of doing this

first time to hear this. I dont think the hot air will spoil the coil and the rubber. BMW should have test run all these at least to last for certain period of time !

the rubber will confirm melt when parked under hot sun..

Hello akinggold, this is the Forum Police.

Are you post clocking?

Ai lim kopi Mai?

looks like spam to me

spammers should go kopi in Ubi. Hitmee say one

Can actually come down to my place for a anti bacterior treatment if you wan to. :cool:

Try an ionizer? I spilled fish soup in my old car before and it stinked big time. Sent my car for interior shampooing and bought an ionizer to clear up the smell.

try changing a new aircon air filter.

else....turn the a/c temperature to max HOT.... and fan speed max....

leave doors open and let the aircon system run for a few minutes....

can buy activated charcoal deodorizer from daiso (no smell).

I replaced my cooling coil, evaporator, aircon compressor a month ago and it now has a sour smell which is so bad when i start the engine. So the solution is to switch the temperature to the max during a hot day and let it run for 15-30mins? Gonna try it this weekend and hope it solves the problem.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OK9GUIDE
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back